I have a problem i need to solve asap.  I am helping the local BSA with their leather program.  Raising money and getting tool donations is going to be a big part of that.  But the problem at hand is this.  Storage of the 2d/3d leather stamps and alphabet sets.  The boxes they have are severely worn and need to be replaced.  Tandy discontinued the boxes they sold and currently have some plastic racks that will not work for our needs.  Springfield Leather has a box that will work but it has an attached lid that makes it awkward when it is opened on the table, as it takes up twice the space.  Since I am looking at a custom solution I have come up with one I think is pretty good.

Our Council has multiple sets of tools that have to be kept separate.  These are the programs they have:

Cub Scout Day Camp - There are supposed  to be 4 identical sets of tools that are loaned to the districts whenever they are doing a day camp.  They handle up to 20 scouts at a time with multiple sessions throughout the day.These sets are also used for the Leatherwork Merit Badge events sponsored by the council with 20 scouts per class.  Usually 2 classes in a day.

BSA Scout Reach - There are supposed  to be 4 identical sets of tools for use in this program for about 40 kids to use the tools at a time with 3 or 4 groups that use them that day.

BSA Summer Camp - Last year our council had 2 summer camps running, one outside Las Vegas and one in Utah.  So there are 2 sets of tools that are kept at their respective camps. 

So there are 10 sets of tools that need to be managed with 8 that are supposed to be mobile. 

I am thinking of building a front-opening box with trays, of 3/4" plywood,that can be removed and set on a table.  The trays would be close enough that the tray above would act as a stop so the stamps wouldn't shift during transport.  

One of the designs I am considering is having a row of stamps and just below it a leather strip with the stamp impression and stamp number on it.  This way I can easily see if anything is missing when the set gets turned in.   The problem is that this takes up a little more than twice the space as the regular stamp box.  But it will keep the stamps in order.  This will apply to the alphabet sets as well.

For my own stamps, I used to keep them in the boxes, stacked in a cabinet but every time I wanted a specific stamp or alphabet set it always seemed to be the bottom box  I needed.  Now I keep them in one of those flat file cabinets commonly known as blueprint, map or art cabinets.  Actually I have 3 of them with a total of 15 drawers.  Now all the alphabet and 3d stamps are spread out in a single layer.  My alphabet sets take up 3 drawers.  The 2d/3d stamps including the stamp sets (sports, native american,  emojis, etc...) take up 4 and the rest are filled with leather tools and stuff.  After I create the same custom trays like I describer above, my 3d stamps will probably use at least 6 drawers.  I've seen them on offerup for as little as 90.00 each, so they are a bargain.  But not great for mobility.  

Any other ideas out there?

Dale

I am replacing my stamp boxes with custom boxes made out of MDF. I use two layers of 6mm with holes cut to take the under-part of the stamp. I would post pics, but I am still in the design phase. My first iteration was a perfect fit ... so perfect I cannot get the stamps out easily. Dohhhhh! :unsure: