Caught this video by Ryan Neel this morning.

23 minutes ago, Joseph1836 said:

Is that better than the tippmann boss

I couldn't say. I haven't tried either machine. But, I could say that maybe that was the idea behind it being built.

I've messed with the boss up at the store...I couldn't see paying the price when for a few hundred more I could get a machine.  I mentioned that and the response was, well it's portable and doesn't need electricity... My cowboy is just as portable since I don't need to bolt it to a workbench to keep it from jumping all over, and mine is on wheels, and if the power goes out I could handwheel it I guess lol.  I haven't seen a price on the outlaw yet, but if it's even close to the boss I'd be curious to see what market they target.  

An interesting machine, and I wouldn't mind one, but I suspect the price is likely to be such that as koreric says I'd be better off coughing up the extra for a "proper" machine. That arm movement could be an issue for some, as I know that after a half hour on a reloading press my arm is starting to complain. Small pieces/short runs would probably be ok, but stitching a belt could be an issue.

To me it really does look easy to cycle the lever. The repetition could be the workout I agree. It has my interest in all its functions and such, yep! Pretty cool.

Good day

Floyd

Well the price will be $1,295.00 + shpg.I haven't had my hands on one yet , but will by the end of this month.Yes.it's not a machine for everyone, BUT we get a lot of calls for hand stitchers.Some people want one to go to shows with or don't have the room for a standard type machine w/a table.

Yes,it looks very similar to the other handcrank BUT it's made of cast-iron & steel gears & there's some other improvements too.So it will be more user friendly. Due to the heavier construction it weighs 50Lbs & still light enough to be portable.

26 minutes ago, Joseph1836 said:
13 hours ago, koreric75 said:

I've messed with the boss up at the store...I couldn't see paying the price when for a few hundred more I could get a machine.  I mentioned that and the response was, well it's portable and doesn't need electricity... My cowboy is just as portable since I don't need to bolt it to a workbench to keep it from jumping all over, and mine is on wheels, and if the power goes out I could handwheel it I guess lol.  I haven't seen a price on the outlaw yet, but if it's even close to the boss I'd be curious to see what market they target.  

I totally see your point. And, I was never one to profess the awesomeness of the Boss. But, one day I was schooled here by such a person. The big advantage of this machine outside of portability, and off gridability, is the capability of clearance. These machines boast ¾-⅞" lift. That is a lot for the price you will pay. Now, I don't need that much capacity, but it is nice to see an option well below 2 grand if I did.

P.S. I'm all about that same 3200 when I can get it.

It will be interesting to see when this gets out into the hands of some users.  If they have fixed the tension issues that plague the Boss then they will definitely have a winner esp at a price point at least a couple hundred lower than the Boss.  For a hobby guy like me these hand stitchers are great, no guilt if your not using it on a frequent basis and when you need it, it is so much faster than hand sewing.

Right now my Boss is point on, but I have only had this good of luck with white thread, both the black and brown that I tried did not function nearly as well.  I have a couple holsters to finish then I am going to make another stab at the black and brown and see if I can make it work.

As one gets older some things that used to be considered portable seem to magically put on weight.......:blink:.

2 hours ago, dikman said:

As one gets older some things that used to be considered portable seem to magically put on weight.......:blink:.

You just had to remind me Of that, didn't you? ;) Sure IS different.

4 hours ago, dikman said:

Funny that....I said that to me missus ....I'm learnin bout cooking tonight.:huh:

6 hours ago, dikman said:

I have noticed this as well.  Things I wouldn't think twice about lifting, now require help or disassembly.  I call it wisdom, though :P

1 hour ago, RockyAussie said:

Funny that....I said that to me missus ....I'm learnin bout cooking tonight.:huh:

Daaaaaannng.

Bikermutt, Thank you for the video link!! I have zero experience with this new version but quite a lot of experience with a cast iron Boss. I paid off a ton of medical debt with one. Basically it would sew whatever I could cram under the foot. I sewed corner leathers onto 1" felt saddle blankets, 4 layers of skirting for a few odd ball projects, and some other stuff that would be an issue for most other machines. Coincidentally I talked yesterday with a saddle maker who has a ton of experience with old stitchers who had a Boss with a lower serial number than mine and his experience with the Boss matched mine. The cast iron ones were good once they got the early bugs worked out. Simple to use, easy to control, and did a pretty decent stitch. A Boss then was around $1500, a hundred or so more got a few feet and accessories. At that time, a powered machine with any sort of capacity was either a used needle and awl machine that you took your chances with ($1500-5000) or you paid $5-6K for a new closed needle machine. (I did that later too).  This was before Artisan brought out the short arm clone and priced them under $2000K and started the low price machine ball rolling. It was before Servo motors too. You "kids" don't know how good you have it now. 

Addressing some of the concerns above regarding use. After a few uses I set mine up on a lower table and sat on a stool up a little higher so my hand was no higher than my shoulder. That reduced quite a bit of the user fatigue.Easy to learn to sew on and you control the speed. After about 5 minutes you have the "stroke" down and it becomes muscle memory. My first wife was making some things while she was going through Chemo treatments and she sewed at her speed. My son was sewing spur straps by the box when he was thirteen. After my wife died and Rundi I started dating, Rundi sewed belts on some of our "dates" when I had wholesale orders to get out. User friendly. 

It sounds like from what Bob wrote, this Outlaw has addressed some of the "improvements" that have plagued the later version of the Boss. I've got a relative who does some  leather work and handsews. He needs to step it up - something portable and I've been sort of looking for a good used cast iron Boss for a gift. Pretty sure I just switched trails and will be thinking pretty hard about one of these Outlaws for that price. 

Man that guy looks like uncle fester....

@bruce johnson, glad I could help.

No offence intended of course.

33 minutes ago, jimi said:

No offence intended of course.

I imagine Ryan has heard that before. 

Bruce J, yes, it had occurred to me that sitting it lower would probably help overcome arm movement issues - but then if it's too low you'd be bending over all the time to see the stitching! My back wouldn't like that either.:rolleyes2: Having said that in thinking about it it could suit my needs quite nicely (non-production work) unfortunately even if it becomes available here in Oz I fear the cost would put it out of reach.

A lot of work has gone into the OUTLAW to overcome issues with some other machines. The reciprocating action creates higher loads than a rotary so the cast iron body and metal gears are a must even though this makes it heavier. It also has the larger shuttle as used in the CB4500.

We are eagerly awaiting our stock in Australia.

I realise this is getting towards the edge of what these lever-action machines are designed for, but a great accessory would be some sort of power adapter. I'm thinking a double acting pneumatic ram attached to a valve in the pedal. Toe down needle down. Heel down needle up. Much easier control for someone who isn't used to controlling sewing machines and keeps things relatively simple. Another advantage over electric power would be that you could run it off a portable air tank, truck/tractor compressor or even a petrol compressor of "off grid".

56 minutes ago, dikman said:

Out of curiosity, Darren, any idea yet of pricing?

watch the video...he says the price at the end.

I wish it would have come out a few months ago... I knew I was going out for back surgery and would be home for a few months (workman's comp, a metal stair collapsed under me and shattered a vertebrate.  I was hoping the Outlaw would have been out in march but it got pushed back.  So I bit the bullet and bought the Tippmann Boss.  Have had zero problems with it after getting the bobbin tension adjusted properly.  Have made several bags and backpacks ...even sold one on Etsy.  I like the idea of the larger throat room on the Outlaw.  Sewing a 17" laptop bag was a little hard in places on the Boss.  I think the Outlaw should have went with 12" of throat room... I do love my Boss, and plan on building a cobbler's bench for it so I can bring it with me up to the cabin on the weekends so I can sit outside on my deck and work on a project.  Buying the Boss, was a good learning experience and eventually I want to upgrade to the Cowboy 4500 for the extra throat room... but I need to sell another 9 bags first lol...and learn to live with it in my bedroom lol (which is right next to my shop).

SteampunkBag1.jpg

Shop.jpg

Deryk, Darren and I are in Australia, which is why I asked. The prices in the US can't always be relied on even as a guide.