Sign in to follow this  
ke6cvh

braided thread made and sourced in USA

Hello group,  I have been using a braided polyester thread from J&S called "New Millennium".  We are using a size 415 in the needle and size 277 in the bobbin.  This stuff is made in USA and the material to make the thread is sourced in USA.  A little expensive but the braided thread is supposed to not have the twisting issues as well as being stronger (the 415 is rated at 95lbs breaking).  It has a unique and decorative look to it.  Although a little more I find it well worth it and proud to use a thread made in USA with quality and good performance.  They have both bonded and waxed as well as white, black, brown and lighter brown.  Has anyone had any issues using the braided thread?  I have found that I do need to straighten it out every once in a while so I'm not completely sold on the non twisting but I'm not an expert.  Even though the 415 is supposed to take a size 28 needle I've found it to work quite well in a size 27.  They claim braided goes through the needle better as well.  Just my 2 cents if I was to go regular twisted I'd surely buy the cowboy brand from Bob at Toledo Industrial.  Maybe he'll start stocking a braided as well.  Best regards, Mike

I contacted the owner of this thread and asked them if it is made to be side fed and the response was that it feeds better that way as they put it on the spool that way.  Also he said they have made holsters to allow the thread to feed off sideways.  That explains my twisting problem.  Too easy to make an adaptor to allow this so I think I'll do that soon enough.  Best regards, Mike

Edited by Northmount
Removed double post per your request