Here is a recent creation of mine for a friend.

She is moving away and asked if I could make her a billfold. She said if I could possibly carve a silhouette of a horse, that would be great... and of course when someone is easy to please and doesn't want you to go through a lot of trouble, it just makes you want to go all out on it. And I happen to know she really likes duns and buckskins. :) 

The veg tan is 4 oz belly and the lining is pigskin. It is machine stitched. I tried something new in my stamping by spacing my camouflage a little more and then adding a seeder dot in between them. I actually think it looks pretty good that way. Any questions?

Comments/critique are always welcome.

8645010147919673362.jpg.901a480fc3062e84e7a77eb1e2771363.jpg2735322913636681584.jpg.ab46befb2d9563cbe83cffb7c74f6548.jpg7258797494992936146.jpg.a5a37a9c8295083ee10bc2d07d747285.jpg210280430677583910.jpg.426072335d83abd51971c2792230eaa1.jpg936721362270810934.jpg.ea2b0791cb048c5e91091585a04d2dd0.jpg

Thanks for looking!

-Ryan

Edited by Rolandranch

That is a really nice job on that billfold.  Love the horse carving!

1 minute ago, Rohn said:

That is a really nice job on that billfold.  Love the horse carving!

Thanks, Rohn!

Excellent! I really enjoy seeing what you come up with. If you don't mind, I might need to borrow the seeder dot idea on one of my next projects. 

3 minutes ago, doublehbar said:

Excellent! I really enjoy seeing what you come up with. If you don't mind, I might need to borrow the seeder dot idea on one of my next projects. 

Thank you and have fun!

Yup another well designed and executed piece of work young fella!

Just now, plinkercases said:

Yup another well designed and executed piece of work young fella!

Thanks, Plinker! ...pair of chaps coming soon!

Very nice! I like the carving but I especially like the shading / 3D effect on the horse.

Really nice work Roland, especially the horse!  What did you use to color it?

Gary

It is beautifull! Lucky friend :)

1 hour ago, KingsCountyLeather said:

Very nice! I like the carving but I especially like the shading / 3D effect on the horse.

Thank you! I used to draw a lot of horses in middle school and got pretty decent at shading. This is the first time I could do it with leather. :) 

Great work all around!   Horse looks great, I like the colors.   The cam seeder combo works fine....the cam impressions are still close enough that the rays touch and hide the edge of the basketweave.   Well done.

-Bill

That one looks right on the money!

Another great piece @Rolandranch! That horse is great! I mean, the whole think is really well done but the horse is ridiculous.

I really liked your horse! His movement is very realistic!

Edited by ABHandmade

19 hours ago, Rolandranch said:

Thanks, Plinker! ...pair of chaps coming soon!

WOW Your sending me some chaps? Thanks Roland you are swell guy....... unless of course I am hopefully misreading this....look forward to seeing them either way.

20 hours ago, garypl said:

Really nice work Roland, especially the horse!  What did you use to color it?

Gary

Hi, Gary! I used fiebings tan antique paste and some usmc black die and super shene. I applied the finish to the horse before I did the paste so it would come out lighter than the rest of the wallet. I applied it with a small paintbrush. 

Thank you!

20 hours ago, Raksha said:

It is beautifull! Lucky friend :)

Thank you! ;) 

15 hours ago, billybopp said:

Great work all around!   Horse looks great, I like the colors.   The cam seeder combo works fine....the cam impressions are still close enough that the rays touch and hide the edge of the basketweave.   Well done.

-Bill

Thanks Bill!

13 hours ago, robbied said:

That one looks right on the money!

haha! Thanks!

13 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Another great piece @Rolandranch! That horse is great! I mean, the whole think is really well done but the horse is ridiculous.

Thanks, Monkey!

3 hours ago, plinkercases said:

WOW Your sending me some chaps? Thanks Roland you are swell guy....... unless of course I am hopefully misreading this....look forward to seeing them either way.

"Coming soon" as in coming to the forum soon. But you can still think of me as a swell guy... I don't mind. :rolleyes: Of course if you want me to send you a pair I can do that too... then I'll be a RICH swell guy. Then I'll have enough money to donate to the forum and get my name in blue... ooooooooh :yeah: 

Love the horse.  It's beautifully done.  

2 hours ago, Rolandranch said:

Coming soon" as in coming to the forum soon. But you can still think of me as a swell guy... I don't mind. :rolleyes: Of course if you want me to send you a pair I can do that too... then I'll be a RICH swell guy. Then I'll have enough money to donate to the forum and get my name in blue... ooooooooh 

OK I will just have to be satisfied with pictures as I suspected. And I think you will soon be a very viable Maker with respect to the value of your work....lets not set the bar at RICH perhaps but how about viable or successful or even better contented swell guy.

8 hours ago, plinkercases said:

OK I will just have to be satisfied with pictures as I suspected. And I think you will soon be a very viable Maker with respect to the value of your work....lets not set the bar at RICH perhaps but how about viable or successful or even better contented swell guy.

You've got a point there. I do try to be generous, though. I work for smiles, thank yous, and peanuts. Lots of peanuts. When my costumers are more than happy with my work I feel like the richest man on earth... actually, I feel more like a swell guy if you know what I mean. :) If I were doing leather work for the money only... I would have quit as soon as I started and I'm sure most leather workers would say the same. 

9 hours ago, Scoutmom103 said:

Love the horse.  It's beautifully done.  

Thank you! I appreciate it. 

Fine job on the wallet...per your usual standard. I especially like the camouflage/seeder detail...probably gonna steal borrow that idea...thanks for the inspiration!

4 hours ago, RedDun said:

Joe gives that two ears up. Nice work!!

IMG_9100.jpg

Hey thanks, Joe! Always good to get a horse's opinion. ;) 

3 hours ago, Double Daddy said:

Fine job on the wallet...per your usual standard. I especially like the camouflage/seeder detail...probably gonna steal borrow that idea...thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks and have fun with the seeder idea. :)