Mocivnik

What snake is this hide?

I've found it cheap on ebay and want to try it (this will be my first attempt crafting with leather beside cowhides), I am wondering, what kinda snake is this?
It says, it's 24" long and 4" wide (100 x 10cm).

The price is about 15$/piece.

s-l1600.jpg

so you think, this is worth of 15$ ?

18 hours ago, Mocivnik said:

It says, it's 24" long and 4" wide (100 x 10cm).

24 inches = 610 mm or 61 cm

4 inches = 102 mm or 10.2 cm

100 cm = 1m = 39.4 inches

could be any number of breeds. whip snake is common, and that size would be about right.  This looks a bit different than some because it's back-cut, leaving the belly scales prominent down the middle.

@fred: sorry, it says 44 inches. I'm constantly using metric system and just got wrong.

this is the actual ad:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/real-Cobra-snake-skin-hide-tanned-snakeskin-genuine-Pelts-Leather-soft-no-63/153021187985?hash=item23a0c60791:g:jdsAAOSwXqVaj6BC

@JLSleather: is the belly-cut better than back-cut?

1 hour ago, Mocivnik said:

@JLSleather: is the belly-cut better than back-cut?

Better?  Idunno :dunno:

I much prefer the look of the belly cut, particularly on snake with bold markings like the diamondback or python.  Cutting the belly preserves teh "pattern" of the skin. 

I'd LIKE to say that it's more "durable" as well, but can't really claim that.  Truth is, snake isn't very tough -- even when solidly glued, "stroking the fur the wrong way " can unseat scales (the few belts I've made with snake, I like to lace the edges.. protects the edge and helps kick the belt loop up off the scales so you aren't "grating" the snake when you back the belt out.  

1 hour ago, Mocivnik said:

@fred: sorry, it says 44 inches. I'm constantly using metric system and just got wrong.

this is the actual ad:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/real-Cobra-snake-skin-hide-tanned-snakeskin-genuine-Pelts-Leather-soft-no-63/153021187985?hash=item23a0c60791:g:jdsAAOSwXqVaj6BC

No need to apologise to me; I just put those up to clarify just what size this is.

On my view of the link its coming up at $9.99 - and its the last one. At that price its worth a chance ...................and it says its Cobra skin

But; be sure you are allowed to import it. The EU has very tight regulations on what skins/leather can be imported although each country interprets those regulations differently

Edited by fredk

My first impression after seeing the photograph was Cobra. I have seen a number of cobras, in situ, when I lived in Africa. The most common was the spitting cobra, but there are many varieties that are marked  with patterns, etc.

Related image

This is definitely a snake you don't want hanging around in your backyard.

Bob