Sign in to follow this  
Kanga

plaiting/braiding?

Am I right in thinking what we Aussies call plaiting, such as stockwhips, my humble little dogs leads etc, you in the US call braiding?

Linda

Linda. I have just dug out one of my Ron Edwards books and he explains it this way. He refers the term plait to ye olde England Shakepearian times and quotes

" Her haire nor loose nor t'id in formall plat"

Braid appears to be from an old teutonic word Bregdan "to pull quickly hither and thither"

In Australia braiding is used to refer to things like braiding hair/horses mane or is used when referring to lacing over the edge of something or to apply patterns onto solid leather belts. Items like stockwhips or Stockmens belts that are made entirely of kangaroo lace are referred to as being Plaited.

Barra

Interesting how that's evolved. I'm comfortable with either word, or both used interchangeably. My Australian bullriders would always ask me to "plait" them a rope, whereas my American riders would occasionally say "braid," but most often say "build."