Joseph1836

How to distress leather

Get your leather good and wet, find a rough section of concrete or pavement place some cellophane down place your leather face down on the cellophane, weight it down and leave it for a little while. A piece with a lot of cracks makes a really interesting pattern

I have some leather that resembles the one you showed.  If I had to guess, I would say it is faux-distressed, meaning it has a finish sprayed onto the surface that makes it look weathered or distressed.  Mine has the little black spots and they can be felt, so they must be embossed somehow.  The leather I have was sourced at Springfield leather, is about 3-4 oz. max. and is definitely chrome-tanned.

23 hours ago, buzzardbait said:

Get your leather good and wet, find a rough section of concrete or pavement place some cellophane down place your leather face down on the cellophane, weight it down and leave it for a little while. A piece with a lot of cracks makes a really interesting pattern

Thanks , got thinking I may even try some coffee grounds on the cellophane to 

That doesn't look like it was distressed via the usual concrete methods. I use a similar technique when dying my dapple grey leather horses. That looks like some really thinned dye and a natural sponge. You can experiment with scrap. Try one with the leather dampened and splotch random spots, and try it with dry leather. You'll have a more crisp line to your texturing. Same goes for how wet you have the sponge. Experent until you find a look you like. You can find the natural sponges at most craft stores and even Walmart. For that style, you want to look for the sponges with the really big holes on them.

I also think this was done with a sponge and dye. If it was done by the concrete method, which I have done and it works great, it would also be over the rag doll I would think.

Could it be the dye was placed upon a sheet to cork, then the surface wiped off loosely and then placed over the leather and pressed down, basically just like a printers plate but made of cork

Just the first thing that came to mind