stormcrow

Another lesson learned the hard way

I've just received some Fil au Chinois 832 thread and some Attentius 2000 edge paint so I thought to try them out I'd make myself a watch strap.

All was going ok till I decided I'd use my scratch awl to put a little bit of black dye into the holes I'd just punched. So of course only one hole to go and the dye drops off the awl onto my stitching at the end covering 4 stitches. I may have sworn a little at this stage :o).

Photos are a bit rubbish as from my phone but the actual stitches are darker than appear on the photo. It's a good job its just meant for me otherwise I think I'd still be swearing now :o)

q6W99bw.jpg

lKcCN4u.jpg

That's on the back side of the watch while wearing...enjoy your amazing watch band!  We've all done something similar. I just did it on my most recent holster. Come to think of it, I have a holster that almost matches your watch band! (Not the one with the thread issue, though.)

batmobileholster.jpg

That's a tough break right there. Aside from the extra dye, it looks perfect.

2 hours ago, alpha2 said:

That's on the back side of the watch while wearing...enjoy your amazing watch band!  We've all done something similar. I just did it on my most recent holster. Come to think of it, I have a holster that almost matches your watch band! (Not the one with the thread issue, though.)

batmobileholster.jpg

Yea it’s a good match for your holster you should do matching sets :) 

1 hour ago, battlemunky said:

That's a tough break right there. Aside from the extra dye, it looks perfect.

Well it has turned out to not be the total disaster I thought, as alpha 2 says it is not so noticeable due to being on the back of the wrist when worn.

Another lesson learnt though is that when using edge paint I need to allow for the slight thickness that adds to the strap it is tight going through the buckle but I think I have got away with it.

g8yFHdf.jpg

PC8ZQsp.jpg

3iD7L0F.jpg

4rzVnXn.jpg

Nice tidy work both of you

Depending on your dye; keep some cotton buds and meths handy - they can be used to dab off excess drips of dye from some areas, like threads