RockyAussie

Pattern cutting made easy for prototyping. eg key purse

This is a method I use to help make my prototypes quickly and neatly. The example product is a double zippered key purse which unfortunately had a design change halfway through. The first 3 pictures show the key purse when finished.

This one is the side that holds the most bulky key bunch.

DSC02624_resize.JPG

This is the other side DSC02622_resize.JPG

This one shows what it all looks like when closed up.

DSC02620_resize.JPG

The following picture shows the patterns I've drawn for this model and they are the patterns for first cutting the pieces. They are 2mm all around over the size they will be cut down to in later steps.

DSC02523_resize.JPG

This picture shows how before cutting out I give the thin cardboard a spray with some contact adhesive and left to dry for 1/2 hour or more. Brushing on is alright as well but do it light and quick so as to not change the cardboard shape.

DSC02522_resize.JPG

The patterns now hold down well for cutting out if placed onto a poly cutting surface. The poly cutting boards for kitchens work well as well.

DSC02525_resize.JPG

Here I show the 1st cut patterns neatly cut and no movement.

DSC02528_resize.JPG

Next I use the same procedure for the second cut patterns shown below

DSC02529_resize.JPG

All the patterns cut out and shown below

DSC02533_resize.JPG

Next a sharp knife is used to cut out the leather pieces. Note that the glue holds down well still but not enough to damage the leather when removed.

DSC02537_resize.JPG

Shows cardboard being removed.

DSC02545_resize.JPG

All the leather parts needed are now cut out. The crocodile parts will come later.

DSC02550_resize.JPG

I think that is the limit of pictures I can load in one go so more a bit later.

Ok now the leather bits cut above are all bits for lining on the crocodile and must be split down to about .5 mm so this next picture shows what we started with is about 1.4mm-

DSC02552_resize.JPG

After splitting .5mm

DSC02553_resize.JPG

A little bit more skived of around the edges

DSC02556_resize.JPG

DSC02559_resize.JPG

Now the design change- The customer wants the prototype in black matte croc and this skin I though would be nice to use is a bit small so I wont be doing the folded edge on the zips. This is the skin-

DSC02561_resize.JPG

Cardboard attached to skin for cutting next

DSC02563_resize.JPG

All the croc now cut out shown

DSC02565_resize.JPG

The croc is a bit thick at 1.1mm

DSC02568_resize.JPG

A run through the splitter and is now .7mm. The 2 pieces on the left are the bottom splits.

DSC02569_resize.JPG

Next its time to start putting it together so I've decided to spray glue them all in this case.

DSC02571_resize.JPG

Here they are now with the linings all attached.

DSC02573_resize.JPG

DSC02574_resize.JPG

More a little later

Great tutorial - looking forward to seeing more steps and thanks for taking the time to document your process.  I know it takes extra effort to setup your camera during each step, take pictures, then resume your project - much appreciated!

Gary

1 minute ago, garypl said:

Great tutorial - looking forward to seeing more steps and thanks for taking the time to document your process.  I know it takes extra effort to setup your camera during each step, take pictures, then resume your project - much appreciated!

Gary

Thanks Gary, I will post more tomorrow as dinner is ready now and its hot ;)

The next step from here is to second cut all of the now attached pieces down to their finished sizes. Here the cardboard pattern is attached to the gusset piece-

DSC02576_resize.JPG

This one shows one of the top pieces ready to second cut.

DSC02581_resize.JPG

Below are all the pieces now second cut.

DSC02583_resize.JPG

As we are not now folding the croc edge along the zips we have to use some edging to improve the finished appearance.

DSC02584_resize.JPG

The 4 zip line edges now completed with 2 coats of edge coat each.

DSC02585_resize.JPG

Next with a prepared pattern the zips are glued and lined up in place -

DSC02588_resize.JPG

This picture shows the zips attached and ready to start the stitching-

DSC02589_resize.JPG

My trusty old Pfaff cylinder machine does a beautiful job.

DSC02592_resize.JPG

This is what we now have left to assemble-

DSC02593_resize.JPG

The middle lining is now glued to attach to one of the outer pieces-

DSC02595_resize.JPG

showing the piece now attached

DSC02597_resize.JPG

Here I start to stitch the gusset side pieces into place

DSC02599_resize.JPG

More to come later.

Awesome tutorial Rocky Aussie. Make it look so easy but I guess that comes with a lot of experience. Inspiring stuff yo read for people just starting to deal with their leather addictions,keep em coming.

PS I may have to buy some croc skin of you for some knife sheaths 

Edited by noobleather

A most excellent tute

8 hours ago, noobleather said:

Awesome tutorial Rocky Aussie. Make it look so easy but I guess that comes with a lot of experience. Inspiring stuff yo read for people just starting to deal with their leather addictions,keep em coming.

PS I may have to buy some croc skin of you for some knife sheaths 

Thanks, I was hoping somebody might notice it. For the croc skin given your location I would give Valerie Douglas (in Broome) a call and tell her it was at my suggestion if you like. She is a very nice lady and I have a great respect for her. If she would prefer I could do it from here for her if you only want a small piece to try out. Here's a couple of pictures of croc knife pouches I've made  from skins like she has. The last one, I had to get that knife as it was an anniversary one and shared my birth year.

38_resize.JPG

DSC00851_resize.JPG

IMGP7397_resize.JPG

IMGP7400_resize.JPG

7 hours ago, fredk said:

A most excellent tute

Thanks @fredk

This should be the last round now-- Both the gussets get stitched down

DSC02600_resize.JPG

Next is the other side stitched on

DSC02606_resize.JPG

Little straps for the key ring attached

DSC02610_resize.JPG

DSC02612_resize.JPG

Now the final stitching gets completed. Note: they get carefully backstitched into the same holes-

DSC02613_resize.JPG

DSC02616_resize.JPG

The case now gets turned inside out and pressed into shape

DSC03103_resize.JPG

DSC03097_resize.JPG

DSC03117_resize.JPG

That's it all and thanks for looking.:rockon:

Comments are welcome

Brian

DSC02605_resize.JPG

Edited by RockyAussie
Post doubled up

Brian - that was a great tutorial and nice looking pouch you made.  I bet one of the hardest parts of making it was turning it inside out at the end to make it look so even!  I really do appreciate your efforts to help us learn new techniques.

Gary

Great post. Thank you for all the work, help and comments you make for the purpose of helping educate your fellows. 

Go well Sir. 

Thanks again Rocky Aussie.top advise

3 hours ago, garypl said:

... I bet one of the hardest parts of making it was turning it inside out at the end to make it look so even! 

I was thunking the the same thinks

Thanks, a very informative tute

Thanks for sharing that rockie. so is it divided in the middle with the lining?? one side for keys and the other for dosh?

6 minutes ago, jimi said:

Thanks for sharing that rockie. so is it divided in the middle with the lining?? one side for keys and the other for dosh?

Hey jimi, yes that is correct. One side has the gussets and the other not.

11 hours ago, garypl said:

I bet one of the hardest parts of making it was turning it inside out at the end to make it look so even!

Thanks @garypl turning inside out is not that hard but I should have pointed out that doing that with glazed crocodile would be very difficult with out getting wrinkles in the glaze.

I should also point out that if doing this in most leathers the leather lining would not be necessary. Thickness wise between 1 to 1.4mm (about 3oz) would work fine.

Thank you all for the kind comments..... It helps to know if it is of any help to anyone;)

On 6/12/2018 at 6:13 PM, RockyAussie said:

Hey jimi, yes that is correct. One side has the gussets and the other not.

Thanks @garypl turning inside out is not that hard but I should have pointed out that doing that with glazed crocodile would be very difficult with out getting wrinkles in the glaze.

I should also point out that if doing this in most leathers the leather lining would not be necessary. Thickness wise between 1 to 1.4mm (about 3oz) would work fine.

Thank you all for the kind comments..... It helps to know if it is of any help to anyone;)

I wouldn’t mind a vid on how you turn something like inside out frankly. I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around how you did it without ripping a stitch! Great work!