plinkercases

Pfaff 335 BB (older model) experience?

Aha so you got it? well sussed. I think the H3 might have a bigger foot lift on it, but mine is like yours with 6-7mm. that seems to be what it was designed for. if I get tough leather under it, the spoked hand wheel can´t handle it, it has to be soft. if I can change it one day for a solid one then I am sure it will go through a little tougher leather. I personally would leave it where it was supposed to be and use a bigger machine for thicker leather. ( just another excuse to get some more old iron  :lol:) glad you finally got that one fixed. now wash your hand´s because your coffee is cold AGAIN! :blink:. jimi.

That's great news - sorting out tension release issues can be a challenge!

Also keep in mind that with many makes & models with this type of tension release you can get additional foot lift without activating the pin by varying how far the tension assembly sits in or out.  I'm not familiar with the bits the pin affects on the front side, but there is surely an adjustment like any Singer style.  Normally the backside is adjusted to specs then the front side tension knob assembly is fine tuned to release properly, so we're talking about it somewhat backwards.  

I hear what you're saying Don, but due to the design of this machine there is no "fine-tuning", it either pushes on the release lever at the back of the tension assembly or it doesn't. If you move the assembly out then it doesn't work. No matter, now that I understand how it works it's not an issue.

Jimi, before I readjusted mine I was putting just under 3/8" veg under the feet and it punched through without too much trouble (servo, 45mm pulley and large pulley on head). I don't think I'll make a habit of that but it's a pretty solid bit of engineering in these things. I tend to use my Seiko for thicker stuff.

Hi Dikman

I recently bought a 335 H2L B17 exactly like yours - also with the manual thread tension release lever.

Thank you for your effort in sorting things out. It will be of great help to me. I will probably fit a rod and make it work like normal.

Brgds

Danishman

Well done, those manual releases appear to be rare as I haven't come across another one in all my searching! It means you can actually fit thicker stuff under the feet than it was designed for, but the downside is remembering to release the lever before sewing!! Trust me, it makes a mess if you forget.:wacko: