Blacksmoke12

Edge Finishing

So I just got into leather working, and decided to make a belt as my first project. When working on the edges I sanded, burnished, dyed, and then used gum trag and burnished over that. When I burnished for the second time I noticed that the edge dye started to come off. Am I not supposed to use gum trag with edge paint? It looked fine with just the paint but I wanted to get a finish on it. 

So I just got into leather working, and decided to make a belt as my first project. When working on the edges I sanded, burnished, dyed, and then used gum trag and burnished over that. When I burnished for the second time I noticed that the edge dye started to come off. Am I not supposed to use gum trag with edge paint? It looked fine with just the paint but I wanted to get a finish on it. 

Welcome to the forum. A location and maybe a name will possibly help to get some answers, especially when asking for local knowledge or buying and selling, which I understand you're not, but it's more friendly anyway.

There is a pinned post at the top of the "How do I do that" index page. Its a great article on finishing edges written by one of the best. Give that a look. Also, only the 'Submit Reply' button once to make a post. It will happen, it just takes some time.

I may be wrong but, I never burnish edge paint. Dye yes, but not paint. Takes the paint off in my experience.

There are so many variations for edge finishing and burnishing. This is what I've been doing with knife sheaths mostly, for 5 or 6 years and I haven't had any problems or complaints - 

Trim, bevel, and sand the edges

Apply gum tragacanth and burnish. If it's wet, fair enough;  if it has dried, just carry on; gum trag dries quickly anyway, and dries while I'm burnishing

Then apply Edge Kote, let it dry, and burnish. The whole sheath gets treated with leather grease, including the edges, though it obviously rubs off quickly

I use a home made burnisher - a length of hardwood with a slot cut in it to accept the edges

On 6/12/2018 at 8:21 PM, Blacksmoke12 said:

If you're using edge paint, I wouldn't use gum trag with it as theres nothing for the paint to stick to.  In fact, I wouldn't use gum trag at all.  Ever.  So many better ways to get a good edge with leather.  If you're using dye to color your edges, you can do it without trag.  Apply dye, slick, wax, sand, repeat until smooth.