Sign in to follow this  
makoman1860

Handwheel for Singer 31-15

Hey All,

I am on the hunt for a Hand (balance) wheel for my 1917 Singer 31-15. I am looking for the larger (heavier) 6 spoke version that would have come on the treadle version of the 31-15. It should have a roughly 3" OD pulley. The part number is 2862. Someone put a modern smaller wheel on mine when they tossed it in a modern table with a motor. I would like to be able to interchange this machine with my 16-188, which means I need the correct handwheel for belt length etc. So if anyone has one, or can send me in a good direction to find one please let me know. Thanks!!

-Aaron

Edited by makoman1860

Hi Aaron, were you able to find a hand balance? I've inherited a 31-15 and it needs a pulley and hand wheel. I hope you found one and can share any information wit me.

Many thanks,

Carol

Depending on where you live, you may be able to find a dealer that has been in business for many years.   Many of them have a store room full of old and obsolete machines that they keep on hand for parts.  Many of the old machines have the large wheels which can be adapted to other machines.  I was able to pick up a wheel from an old Singer model 29 inexpensively from a dealer in Atlanta.  With a little lathe work, I adapted it to a newer machine.   If you find a wheel, check the shaft size, it may already be suitable for your 31-15.