ChrisJ

Sharpening jig for a Barry King swivel knife

Hi, 

I recently bought a Barry King swivel knife and want to make sure that I keep the blade in the right condition. I'm new to the craft and I don't trust myself to manually hold a consistent angle on a stone. 

Previous posts I've seen recommend a Chuck Smith Big Red jig. Though, I'm having trouble finding a place selling these online. Does anyone know a good source for these? Or, is there an alternative jig that would work? 

I have the big red, and its pretty nice and you can find it here or by contacting them.  https://chuck-smith-leather-tools.myshopify.com Also, maybe check out the new sharpener by Gordon Andrus.  Its fantastic.  you can find it here:  http://sagecreeksaddles.com/red-ox-brand-tools/  Alternatively, I made myself a wedge out of leather at the angle I want and just use high grit sand papers to sharpen, using the wedge to help me keep the angle.  After a while, I don't need the wedge anymore and can do it by hand.  Its a lot cheaper and works if you put the time in.

I took a tandy sharpening jig and drilled it out to fit the barry king blades I use.  Has done a good job and inexpensive.  HTH

Sorrow for the late reply... Thank you very much for the ideas! 

Take after These Steps 

1 Steady the sharpening steel 

Holding the handle of your sharpening steel, point the steel straight down and lay its tip on a ledge or another safe, level work surface. Hold the blade in your predominant hand, with the sharp edge of the cutting edge contacting the steel, and position the edge so it rests at a 20-degree point to the steel. 

2 Draw the blade down over the steel 

Beginning with the foot sole area of the blade (the part nearest to the handle), draw the cutting edge descending along the steel toward the counter, keeping up light weight and pulling the handle back toward you so the whole length of the sharp edge, from the rear area to the tip, interacts with the steel. 

Tip: As the edge of the edge reaches the steel, you ought to hear a light ringing sound. (A pounding sound means you're utilizing excessively weight.) 

3 Repeat the activity, rotating sides 

Utilize a similar movement for the opposite side of the blade edge, utilizing the contrary side of the steel. Rehash four to five times on each side. Wipe the blade with a kitchen towel to evacuate any deposit. Cut through a tomato (or a bit of paper) utilizing light strain to watch that your blade is totally sharpened.

https://www.bladesto.com/best-pocket-knife-sharpener/

find some nice vintage oil stones

practice on old knives,  old blades  free hand you will get it