Hi everyone!  

I am brand new to leather crafting and started it as a hobby to do after work.  I really enjoy doing it!  Something about it is very therapeutic for me.  I don't have pictures and the stuff I've made is pretty bad compared to you guys and gals anyways haha.  Just a couple of belts, keychains, and phone cases.  I love learning about leather and the art of crafting.  I am glad this website exists so beginners can have a place to come and learn and don't have to rely on YouTube videos.

Welcome to the forum.  I am relatively new here as well and I found this site to be pretty useful for not only ideas but for things that I may be messing up on. Hope this site gives you ideas as well as answers any questions you might have about leather-working and that we will get to see some of your stuff soon.

Welcome! I'm relatively new here too. Youtube has it's merits as well and many of the folks on here have channels that are very good but I get what you are saying. Don't be ashamed to post your stuff, put up some pics for either critique or just to show it off, we all love pics and it'll help you figure out how to post pics here which is about the only downfall to the site. Aside from that, there is a great bunch of folks here and a cornucopia of knowledge. It's good to have you here!

Welcome. As battlemonkey said please post your pictures. If they are bad enough it makes us think we are getting better if nothin else :spoton:That's what I say. I hope your experiences on LW are always positive and rewarding.

. What they dont say, Is the more you do the more you want, you'll start wanting more tools more leather. The better you get the happier you'll be ,  so welcome to a world of leather addition . And post  your photos it's all good 

Thanks everyone!   Haha Rocky OK!  Like Battlemunkey said... Ive got to figure out how to post pictures.  It keeps saying one photo is too big from my phone library and the camera option takes a photo then says it's also to large haha.

8 hours ago, A7X1987 said:

Thanks everyone!   Haha Rocky OK!  Like Battlemunkey said... Ive got to figure out how to post pictures.  It keeps saying one photo is too big from my phone library and the camera option takes a photo then says it's also to large haha.

if you are using a computer, download an easy to use free program called irfanview. resize the picture so either the highest pixel for either width or length is no more than 400.

if you are using your phone, my android has photo resizer x, which was d/l in the play store for free. but there are several apps that will work as well.

look forward to seeing your stuff

Also make sure that the resolution of the photo is set to "96"

Got it!  Thanks!  Here are some belts I made.  I need to get a lot better at cutting the leather and making the holes to sew.  Don't laugh too hard lol 

CD784F00-47ED-4AD7-8F67-2936D533DA14.jpeg

2E7FE9E1-B360-4A1D-A134-2E418F5D7C7C.jpeg

E43D25AF-F0B4-4A4D-840B-79F3054F6AFD.jpeg

Cingradulations:thumbsup: The first 2 pictures look alright but your stitchin on the last pic make me feel better ;) You gonna need a guide line or guide I reckon but I bet you already knew that.

And that stitching issue will go away when you get that practiced more. I recommend watching Nigel Armitage's saddle stitching video and also find Al Stohlman's stitching book. It is a great read and then stitch away. Then read/watch it all again. Wash, rinse, repeat. It'll all make more sense.

1 minute ago, battlemunky said:

Then read/watch it all again. Wash, rinse, repeat. It'll all make more sense.

Wax on...wax off...wax on....:thumbsup:

Welcome!  As was pointed out, your stitching on the black belt isn't even on the distance from the edge.  Invest in an adjustable groover.  You don't need to cut a groove, just lightly scratch the leather.  All you want is a consistent line.  If you have a compass for drawing circles that can work.  Wing dividers are like a compass and are the preferred way to scribe a line for stitching.

It feels good to make something that actually works, doesn't it?

Almost 40 years ago, when I was playing around with some leather as a young boy about 11 or 12 years old, I really needed a stitching chisel, but I had no idea of that concept, so I persevered with a fixed edge-groover. a stitch spacing wheel and a speedy stitching awl.

When the light switched back on after 36+ years away from leatherwork, I found stitching chisels everywhere. While I initially thought of a stitching chisel as cheating compared to pricking irons and an awl, I have found it suits me better than any other method. 

Yes it does Tug!  Thanks guys!  I'll get those tools instead of just randomly punching holes.  I have something where my hand shakes a little so I think I'll try out chisels like Rocko suggested!

Welcome to the forum!