plinkercases

Operating height for cylinder bed machines

What are peoples experience and preferences for operating hight and this operators position for cylinder beds?

Low and sitting, mid way on a stool or high and standing?

Pros and cons?

Thanks in advance.

Mine is a low as it can go on a typical K-leg stand.  (Techsew 2700).  I sit, using an office chair.  I'm not usually working with large stuff.

Tom

I stand when I operate my machine - tried sitting down and I don’t have the fine control on the foot pedal.  After overshooting my stop point a couple of times I gave up and now I stand while sewing.

Gary

No help here...I stand for two reasons. I was afraid to lower the table without some help holding the whole thing up while I loosened the bolts on the stand, and then, I don't have enough room to put a chair between the CowBoy and my bench. Barely enough room to stand. If anyone want's to donate a few extra square feet of shop space, put it in a box and send it in!

Jeff

Alpha, that's definitely something I could use myself! :D

Sheilajeanne, I've seen pics of your place. Your problem isn't not enough room...just sayin'.  MAYBE too much stuff...Nah!!!

2 hours ago, Northmount said:

Mine is a low as it can go on a typical K-leg stand.  (Techsew 2700).  I sit, using an office chair.  I'm not usually working with large stuff.

Tom

I'm the same.

I found a long time ago that my back and legs will not allow me to stand for very long periods at any machine. My first Cylinder arm was set high, as above, I couldn't change it without removing the head from the table

so I just left it that way.

My CowBoy is table height, my chair is hydraulic. I can adjust it to wherever I wish.

Ferg

My 227R copy sits on the table that it came on, 'factory standard' I guess, my chair is a gas-lift set at a 'standard height' about the same as my dining chairs.

I use a bar stool in front of my cobra 4.  That gives me the benefit (however slight) of both standing and sitting. I've done it that way through two machines, both 441 clones≥

Paul

I have always stood in front of the heavy machines, and sat at the light duty flatbed machines.  I've never even really thought about the "why", but I guess on the heavy machines I feel like I have more control, as I am often sewing heavy, bulky stuff.