PJ234

Singer projects from the Antique Mall: 31-15 and 15-90?

Went to the local antique mall today looking for a Singer 27 or 127 to sew inlay material to knife sheath front panels, and perhaps other thin material projects such as wallets, etc. (probably by hand wheeling the machine, light thread.)  I didn't find either of those machines, but went into a booth that was being worked on by its owners.  They asked what I was looking for, and they pulled out this old beat up Singer that was missing parts, etc.  I started to leave when the price started at $30, and was eventually lured back in when it dropped to $10.  I believe this is a 15-90 but doesn't exactly match photos I've found online...can anyone help confirm this?  Also, the serial number appears to start with a Z, but the online sources I checked for dating Singer's don't even have any listings for Z serial numbers?

I haven't begun to tear into the machine yet or research missing parts, but if anyone wants to point out any problems or obvious missing parts, please feel free.  It turns freely via the wheel, although sounds like it needs at a minimum a good oiling and/or greasing.  What is the purpose of this style of presser foot, by the way?

ragqpWz.jpg

lNeQUFa.jpg

UvSCXvo.jpg

ar87q1O.jpg

9qTAKWo.jpg

RdNo0GV.jpg

RuKXxSk.jpg

After buying the first machine, I continued looking around to see if I could find what I came for.  I did not, but literally buried in a booth I saw this 31-15 head peeking out.  I unearthed it, and found it to be much larger and heavier than the first machine (wasn't familiar with the model)  A quick internet search revealed it might be a good choice for leather sewing, and a quick search on eBay indicated it might be worth some decent money, so off I went to pay for it.  $22 plus tax.  It has an odd binding when turning the wheel...when sitting upright, the wheel will not turn through a full cycle.  At first, I assumed something underneath was hitting the floor, but this did not seem to be the case because the bind continued when tilted free of the floor.  However, when laid completely on it's side, the binding is gone and it will turn through a complete cycle.  Any thoughts on what this might be?  Same as above...haven't torn into it or started researching it, but would welcome any thoughts or observations of obvious issues or missing parts.  Also, would this machine be a good candidate for actually adding a servo motor to?   I'm assuming it would be much more capable than the other machine, as it's much heavier and significantly larger, but that's just an assumption.  Thanks in advance for any advice on either machine.  PS this one dates to 1910 if the online dating info is correct.

zsi1HKX.jpg

QPcJDXi.jpg

FKHQSbv.jpg

eGwLivr.jpg

3tlwbUw.jpg

KaLzen4.jpg

No comment of the 15 class clone, other than the presser foot, which is a roller foot. Good luck!

The Singer 31-15 is a tailoring machine. Yours is missing a lot of parts. It must be set in an industrial sewing machine table that has a 7" x 17" cutout, four rubber corner pads, hinges and hinge mounts for the head, a tilt back peg, an oil pan, a parts drawer, a knee lever for a 31-15 and a floor pedal with a motor linkage, plus a clutch or servo industrial sewing motor rated at between 1/3rd and 1/2 horsepower, with a 2" pulley. Additionally, the table to will need a thread stand, flex lamp and bobbin winder. I believe that you can buy an entire table setup for your machine for about $350, plus shipping. Upgrading to a servo motor will add another $50 or more over a clutch motor.

Considering how many parts are missing from the 31-15 head, you could buy a reconditioned sewing machine for what you are going to have to put into this one.

Even if you totally rebuild this machine and buy a table for it, the poor thing will still be a tailoring machine. It can only sew a few ounces of soft leather, and only up to #69 bonded thread.

Agree with Wiz. I´m the last who won´t rescue an old cast iron machine as long as it is worth the time and money (well time is not a factor when you like what you do) but either one is not worth investing money in. I think you can find complete Singer 31 heads for less money than you have to invest into parts for it - and yet you don´t even know what condition the shuttle race is in. I would guess someone took off all the parts for a reason f.i. took em from a "bad" machine to repair a "not so bad" machine.

If a Singer 31 is what you want I would remove all good prats and keep them as spares for a possible other / complete Singer 31 machine.

But thats just my opinion - if you want to restore it then go ahead but I honestly wouldn´t.

I think that first sewing machine is a 15-90 clone for two reasons. The serial number number begins with a "Z", I have never seen or can find a reference for a Singer that has its serial number beginning with a "Z" and there doesn't seem to be any holes present where the Singer badge would have been.

kgg