I'm making equine tack and harnesses and want to place decorative grooves along each side of some of the straps similar to stitch lines.  Is there a roller / press machine that can be used for this operation?  

Silverd 

an overstitch wheel will give the look of stitching.

Sure.. a number of places will sell you a CREASER embossing roll and the machine to use it in.  Hand crank or motorized .. guess it depends on teh money you need to spend, volume you need to do.

I believe this is what your wanting to do. This was done using a Randall creaser. Not sure if anyone makes them anymore. I've owned this one for decades. Occasionally I see them pop up on eBay, here or Facebook for $500 to several thousand depending on condition and model. Worth its weight in gold in my opinion if your doing a lot of strap work. Mine will also all me to dome my straps so I can run a rope down the middle of two layers for a domed rounded look that is really nice. Not sure if that is what it was intended for but I'm mostly self taught.

003.JPG

001.JPG

24 minutes ago, Mark842 said:

I believe this is what your wanting to do. This was done using a Randall creaser. Not sure if anyone makes them anymore. I've owned this one for decades. Occasionally I see them pop up on eBay, here or Facebook for $500 to several thousand depending on condition and model. Worth its weight in gold in my opinion if your doing a lot of strap work. Mine will also all me to dome my straps so I can run a rope down the middle of two layers for a domed rounded look that is really nice. Not sure if that is what it was intended for but I'm mostly self taught.

003.JPG

001.JPG

Wow.  Spectacular!  Exactly.  I own one similar but the rollers are quite wide and no radius groove profiles.  Can rollers like tge ones you have be purchased?  Possibly a new top roller can be made from scratch...a little lathe work.

Silverd

4 minutes ago, Silverd said:

Wow.  Spectacular!  Exactly.  I own one similar but the rollers are quite wide and no radius groove profiles.  Can rollers like tge ones you have be purchased?  Possibly a new top roller can be made from scratch...a little lathe work.

Silverd

I thought Weaver sold a creaser but if they do I can't find it on their website. Haven't looked for one in a while but like anything else if you watch the leather forums and eBay one will pop up. Maybe JL can point you to a manufacturer since he says several places will sell you a creaser roll and a machine.

Silverd, there's a guy right in California that deals in leather tools and bench machines:  Bruce Johnson.  He's on here once in awhile.  Creasers aren't that uncommon to find; I have 8 of them and only went looking for 2 of them, the rest kind of fell into my lap.  I think Beilers sells them new, if Weaver has discontinued them.

Thank you for the leads.  I'll attempt to contact Mr. Johnson re this matter.  I guess I'm looking for the same roller set that Mark842 displayed with Radii rollers.  Now that I finallt figured out I already own a Randal creaser  machine...I know, I know...I feel pretty dumb about now.  

Silverd 

2018-06-19 22.05.48.jpg

There were many different patterns available when the vintage creasers were new.  It is still fairly common to find a long one with half of it being raised rolls, and the other half being flat double.  Short creasers, such as yours, are often flat single, less often flat double.  Single rolls were available also to put on the end shafts.  A handy machinist could make those for you.