Alisdair

George Barnsley plough gauge

Hi guys, I received this new-old stock George Barnsley plough guage. It's a beauty. Like all Barnsley tools, these are no-frills, high quality workman's tools. The steel of the knife has a lovely ring to it and will sharpen wonderfully well.

I will spend the weekend polishing this up, smoothing over rough edges, etc...

20180620_150700.jpg

20180620_150737.jpg

20180620_150751.jpg

I don’t think George Barnsley gets enough love.  They are well designed and manufactured tools at a reasonable price.  Nice tool! Enjoy it! 

Looks good Alisdair. I agree with you and Webicons -- they're good, solid workman's tools. The more popular lines are still produced by George's grandson, who trades under the name Woodware Repetitions. Available through Abbey England, among other sources.

I have the exact same model, and have been reasonably happy with it.  Let us know how it does after you have polished and sharpened it up, I'd like to know if the issues I struggle with are operator errors, or something I need to alter on the tool!

YinTx

Someone posted a link to some of his tools a few weeks ago, I ordered a selection of the cheaper tools because I didn’t really need anything specific... when I received them I was so disappointed. The quality was not good at all more like cheap tools from China. I spent around 100 pounds sterling, Maybe it was just me... but I couldn’t recommend his cheaper tools. Just know what you’re ordering first.

On 30/06/2018 at 3:29 PM, KingsCountyLeather said:

Someone posted a link to some of his tools a few weeks ago, I ordered a selection of the cheaper tools because I didn’t really need anything specific... when I received them I was so disappointed. The quality was not good at all more like cheap tools from China. I spent around 100 pounds sterling, Maybe it was just me... but I couldn’t recommend his cheaper tools. Just know what you’re ordering first.

The tools definitely need to be finished...but the steel is of excellent quality. I like buffing up new tools and getting the edges to how I want them.

On 30/06/2018 at 2:47 PM, YinTx said:

I have the exact same model, and have been reasonably happy with it.  Let us know how it does after you have polished and sharpened it up, I'd like to know if the issues I struggle with are operator errors, or something I need to alter on the tool!

YinTx

After my first pass at polishing, sharpening, etc, it was a bit wonky. Then I tried decreasing the angle of the bevel and I had no problems..it glided through the leather beautifully. Here's a pic of my second sharpening, to show the kind of bevel  I used. Don't know the exact angle, but it goes back 2.5 to 3mm from the edge.

20180706_184427.jpg

And on another note, I made a case for the tool...always an occasion to try out new materials, tools and techniques.

20180706_070004.jpg

20180706_065856.jpg

Nice case.

Very nice work on the case, but ... the blade doesn't fit in there with the rest of it.

Personally, I prefer to keep all of an appliance, tool, set of punches etc, all together.

19 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

Very nice work on the case, but ... the blade doesn't fit in there with the rest of it.

Personally, I prefer to keep all of an appliance, tool, set of punches etc, all together.

I have kids and a cat...gotta keep knives out of reach...but yeah, I do also prefer keeping all elements in one place, too.

Edited by Alisdair

On 7/7/2018 at 4:27 AM, Alisdair said:

20180706_184427.jpg

Certainly an impressive polish.  I have two blades (so I have a spare), and I left the manufacturer's original angle of the bevel on one, and tried to decrease the angle on the other, as you have done. Neither seems to perform better than the other.   Perhaps my sharpening skills still need sharpening.

YinTx