Lionhammer

Beginner leather buying?

Any recommendations or guides for beginners buying leather? I don't need large pieces and I'm still not quite sure the best leather to be using for carving. This is the one area where I'm having a hard time being informed... Lots of opinions and not sure where to start.

Edited by Lionhammer

You can buy offcuts of different Veg tan leather is small sizes on Ebay, Amazon, Etsy etc which is a cheap way of starting to practice

The leather you require is called Vegetable Tan and a good size would be around  3mm to start with (7-9 once)

I'm also a beginner so I'm not certain this is mediocre decent or good leather for carving, but hobby lobby has bellies for sale. About $30-35, but you might be able to use the 40% off coupon you can find online. 

Where in Fla are you? I'm up in the Panhandle. 

Rob

This is partly what it looks like.

20180630_162628.jpg

You need Veg tanned, at least 3mm thick (just as Chrisash says). It needs to be supple but not soft, and not too hard either. Belly leather is a bit too stretchy for carving.

Get along to a Tandy. They have their faults but generally the staff are trained and know what they're about. Buying from a general Hobby shop has its limits; the staff will know nothing about the leather

27 minutes ago, fredk said:

Belly leather is a bit too stretchy for carving

Thanks for the info fredk. If it's not that good for carving, what do people usually use it for?

If you're tooling, you'll need vegetable tanned leather. The best leathers are from Hermann Oak and WIckett&Craig tanneries.  You can get these leathers from retailers, but expect the price to be jacked up.  If you're using small pieces, maybe it's worth the mark up for the convenience of the smaller cuts.

Start with what you want to make.  That will determine the thickness you want.

2 hours ago, Railrider1920 said:

Thanks for the info fredk. If it's not that good for carving, what do people usually use it for?

Belly leather is good for caps/hats, ladies hand-purses which need a bit of 'in-built' stretch facility,  draw-string money bags, ...

Although I make hats like this from 'upholstery' leather, they suit being made from belly leather;

5b3d8ef100abc_Basichat2s.JPG.f7865d1e618fe12d8c9dafdc40ce0c50.JPG

Edited by fredk

Been down this road. I shoulda listened to folks when they said start with the good leather for carving and stamping. I'm still new to carving too but can tell ya that an inferior  leather is HARDER to carve than the good stuff. I only buy from wickett & craig now. Straight from the tannery. Talk with Cindy. Once you use it you'll notice the difference immediately. And WC will split it down to what oz you need. Down to 2 oz I believe.

JLSLeather, fredk and Clintock, thanks for the information about the leather.

The carving leather from tandy (6-9 oz), where do they probably get it from? If I'm only going to buy a small piece, I'd probably go to a smaller store I pass by on my way to work for convince and to give them a little support.

If I'm going to buy a half a shoulder or a full one, would I get a better deal from tandy or right from one of the tanneries? 

Thanks again.

Tandy never say just where they get their leathers from.  By prices here in UK, Tandy are over priced for what they have in large pieces eg Shoulder at Le Prevo, about £7 sq ft, Tandy £9.50 sq ft. The Le Prevo leather is superior quality. Thus I'd say go direct to a tannery, as advised above

But Tandy do sell small pieces for small projects and for practicing on. Every branch is different in what it has available

Hi guys, I am getting in to leather working as a hobby. My father was a shoemaker back in the day and I used to work along him so I learn a few things, I would like to start making sandals (for me) and small stuff like little bags, etc to get my feet wet.

My questions is where to buy "soles" for the sandals? it seems like leather is easier to get but I haven't seen anyone mentioned soles, am I the only one interested in making sandals? Although I am new to this now, way way back I learned to make leather shoes by hand with my father and I am counting on the fact that this is like the bicycle riding, once you learn it, never goes away! you may get a bit rusty but with a little practice everything will come back to me. I am still pretty good with my hands.

I am in the Boston, MA area, but now days everything is purchased On Line so  . . .

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, iknowit101 said:

am I the only one interested in making sandals?

There is an entire section on shoe-making on this website. Look in there and I am sure you will find kindred spirits.

The section you want is in the "Other Specialities" section.

Edited by Rockoboy

@iknowit101 Do a google search for sole bends. You will have choices and price differences to choose from. Use the shoe making forum for further assistance. There they may be able to steer you to the best goods at the best prices. I use pieces of sole bends on occasion, I assume you remember how difficult they are to cut? Also you may be able to buy your sole materials from a cobblers supply house.

For uppers material @nstarleather often offers sides and partial sides from some of the best shoe leather tanneries for reasonable prices. 

Good luck returning to the field.  

On 7/4/2018 at 8:19 PM, JLSleather said:

If you're tooling, you'll need vegetable tanned leather. The best leathers are from Hermann Oak and WIckett&Craig tanneries.  You can get these leathers from retailers, but expect the price to be jacked up.  If you're using small pieces, maybe it's worth the mark up for the convenience of the smaller cuts.

Start with what you want to make.  That will determine the thickness you want.

This is very true, but keeping in mind the HO you have to buy 10 sides to get that great price. We have started selling rolls with a minimum mark up. http://springfieldleather.com/hermann-oak

On 6/21/2018 at 11:57 PM, Lionhammer said:

Any recommendations or guides for beginners buying leather? I don't need large pieces and I'm still not quite sure the best leather to be using for carving. This is the one area where I'm having a hard time being informed... Lots of opinions and not sure where to start.

We offer small packs of sample pieces to get you started and have crafters here that would also be very helpful in getting started as well. http://springfieldleather.com/Leather/Scrap-Leather

On 7/5/2018 at 12:04 AM, Railrider1920 said:

JLSLeather, fredk and Clintock, thanks for the information about the leather.

The carving leather from tandy (6-9 oz), where do they probably get it from? If I'm only going to buy a small piece, I'd probably go to a smaller store I pass by on my way to work for convince and to give them a little support.

If I'm going to buy a half a shoulder or a full one, would I get a better deal from tandy or right from one of the tanneries? 

Thanks again.

Check the link above I posted, we also have flash sales and sometime you can find a 2lb tooling pack in there. http://springfieldleather.com/flash-sales 

2 hours ago, iknowit101 said:

Hi guys, I am getting in to leather working as a hobby. My father was a shoemaker back in the day and I used to work along him so I learn a few things, I would like to start making sandals (for me) and small stuff like little bags, etc to get my feet wet.

My questions is where to buy "soles" for the sandals? it seems like leather is easier to get but I haven't seen anyone mentioned soles, am I the only one interested in making sandals? Although I am new to this now, way way back I learned to make leather shoes by hand with my father and I am counting on the fact that this is like the bicycle riding, once you learn it, never goes away! you may get a bit rusty but with a little practice everything will come back to me. I am still pretty good with my hands.

I am in the Boston, MA area, but now days everything is purchased On Line so  . . .

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if this would help.

http://springfieldleather.com/Heavyweight-Skirting-Pre-Cut-Sole-Pair

http://springfieldleather.com/Sole-Bends-Super-Thick

You might also find what you need at Brettun's Village:
https://www.brettunsvillage.com/leather/hideindex/

They stock sole bends, and they also will cut you a partial hide if  you don't need a full piece.

For leather soles, etc. Try

Landwerlen Leather

Address: 365 S Illinois St, Indianapolis, IN 46225

Phone: (317) 636-8300

M-F 8-5    Sat. 8-noon

It's like stepping back into the Late 1800.   They cater to the cobbler business.  They don't really have a website.  They do have a FB page, sorta.  They use Instagram.

They will ship

You guys rock! I thank you all for your input, that is what i needed. now I have more than one place where I can find stuff, Thank you all for your help on this one.

A grateful newbie.