Railrider1920

Good youtube videos for beginners?

Hi folks,

I've been watching a few carving videos here lately, trying to learn a little.

Are there any particular youtube channels geared toward the beginner you would suggest I check out?

Thanks,

Rob

Ian Atkinson has a ton of good content.  He is Leodis Leather on youtube.  My site also has a lot of good stuff, www.learnleather.com.

That's going to depend on what it is you're wanting to do.  There are some videos some will find helpful. 

BUT you've probably already noticed how many "leather videos" and "how-to" are just an ad for the guy in the video (sometimes by "experts" who clearly have no idea what they are doing). 

To begin, I suggest you identify the type of work you are wanting to do.  I recommend checking out

Some of that will be helpful to you, and some may not. Either way, it should give you an idea of the direction you want to go.  

Beyond that, I try to answer questions as honestly as possible.  Videos CAN be useful, but pay attention to the CONTENT.  One clear example -- I use the restroom every day. I could make a video, in high-def and 1080p , and add some background music, maybe pay a "celebrity' to tell you how great the video is going to be for you.  In the end, it's still the same thing.

4 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

sometimes by "experts"

Definition:  X is an unknown quantity, spurt is a drip under pressure.

Tom

Tandys, learnleather.com and armitageleather are the ones I have found most usefull. Seen a lot of videos of people making nice stuff, but not really learning anything usefull becaus the just do it, and do not explain in a way that gives me anything. Mind, english is not my native language so I need them to talk clearly and not much background music. 

Have to mention weaver leathercraft and leodis leather too. 

Tom, you're quite right.

JSLeather, thanks for the links, I'll check them out asap. Being honest is best. So far I've ruled out a couple "experts". No thanks on the bathroom videos, but if you pay me enough, I'll do the voice over lol.  I am looking to do carving, but not the traditional western. I like the celtic/viking work Dark Horse Workshop does. Also things like the Iron Maiden "Eddie" mask immmiketoo did. But, have to start with something basic, probably flowers since most carvers could tell me what I'm doing right or wrong with those.

Mike, I just watched a couple of your videos. Cut less, bevel more was the last one. What is the tool you use, I think you called it a swivel beveler. It looks a little like an aluminum knitting needle with a flattened end (but doesn't actually swivel). I also found Ian Atkinsons vids. Just watched one of those as well. Thanks for doing the videos.

Raksha, thanks for the names. I'll look them up.

4 minutes ago, Railrider1920 said:

Tom, you're quite right.

JSLeather, thanks for the links, I'll check them out asap. Being honest is best. So far I've ruled out a couple "experts". No thanks on the bathroom videos, but if you pay me enough, I'll do the voice over lol.  I am looking to do carving, but not the traditional western. I like the celtic/viking work Dark Horse Workshop does. Also things like the Iron Maiden "Eddie" mask immmiketoo did. But, have to start with something basic, probably flowers since most carvers could tell me what I'm doing right or wrong with those.

Mike, I just watched a couple of your videos. Cut less, bevel more was the last one. What is the tool you use, I think you called it a swivel beveler. It looks a little like an aluminum knitting needle with a flattened end (but doesn't actually swivel). I also found Ian Atkinsons vids. Just watched one of those as well. Thanks for doing the videos.

Raksha, thanks for the names. I'll look them up.

Railrider,

Thank you.  In the video, I am using a steep figure beveler by Bob Beard.  Its the only tool I've found with the right shape for this technique, although there may be others that can do the trick, or you may be able to modify your own to suit your style.  I use B2 through B6.  If you want to see a close up, let me know.

Now, for figure carving, this is the single most useful technique I have, and now you have it too.  You can use it to do 80% of your figure carving, and after that, the rest is easy.  A little matting and some spoon work and you're well on your way to figure carving mastery.  Also, there is NO reason to start with floral carving if you don't want to do floral carving.  The techniques have some overlap, but generally, if you can carve a face, you can carve a flower.  The converse isn't necessarily true as the beveling techniques are vastly different.  

Regarding the Eddie or any of the other faces I have done, its all the same as what in my video.  This one has both celtic and figure carving with Odin and his crows.  Celtic is a pain, but a few simple tips can help.  Number one, always cut just outside your lines on knot work so you can see where you're going.  Always maintain the same thickness on knot work or it looks bad.  On intersections, how you bevel makes all the difference, and a standard steep beveler isn't enough.  You will want a figure or shallower beveler to create the appearance of over under on you weave.  

If you're interested, I can put together a short segment on Celtic carving for you since it's not too complicated, you just need to follow the formula and pay attention to the details.

20170121_225421.JPG

Learnleather.com is the most convenient source of videos for serious leatherworkers. If you attend the class you can ask questions in real time, but either way, you can watch the video, start, rewind and pause, over and over again. The teachers are masters of their style and they patiently guide you through whatever the lesson is. If you don't see what you're interested in, ask. They will find a pro and set up a class. Most leatherworkers are willing to share their ideas and techniques because they know no one can steal their imaginations, which the lack of is the only thing that will ever limit your progress.  

1 hour ago, immiketoo said:

Thank you.  In the video, I am using a steep figure beveler by Bob Beard.  Its the only tool I've found with the right shape for this technique, although there may be others that can do the trick, or you may be able to modify your own to suit your style.  I use B2 through B6.  If you want to see a close up, let me know

Is there somwwhere online I cant get those? With worldvide shipping? 

2 minutes ago, Raksha said:

Is there somwwhere online I cant get those? With worldvide shipping? 

The only place is from Bob.  He does ship internationally.  You'll have to call him or message him on FB.  Problem is he's REALLY busy.  Like think a year wait list.

1 minute ago, immiketoo said:

The only place is from Bob.  He does ship internationally.  You'll have to call him or message him on FB.  Problem is he's REALLY busy.  Like think a year wait list.

Thanks! I'm in no hurry :) 

I'll talk to him and see if I can't get my hands on a few for distribution.

3 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

Give me a hint if you do, and send international :D  

I'm international too. No worries.

I saw that now, just asumed you where "over there", sorry :blush:   

..... I use B2 through B6.  If you want to see a close up, let me know.

If you're interested, I can put together a short segment on Celtic carving for you since it's not too complicated, you just need to follow the formula and pay attention to the details.

20170121_225421.JPG

If you have the time for the close up pic of the tools, that would be very nice.

If you happen to have time to do a video on the celtic work, that would be great. Thanks!  That Oden is something else. Wow. Beautiful work. So faces like that is called figure carving? Good to know. Are there other types of carving? All I know of right now is western/floral, celtic and figure.

16 minutes ago, Raksha said:

Let me know too if you would lol.

Johana, thanks for letting me know about that site.

13 minutes ago, Raksha said:

I saw that now, just asumed you where "over there", sorry :blush:   

No worries, I used to be.  Then I fell in love, retired and moved to the old country.

12 minutes ago, Railrider1920 said:

If you have the time for the close up pic of the tools, that would be very nice.

If you happen to have time to do a video on the celtic work, that would be great. Thanks!  That Oden is something else. Wow. Beautiful work. So faces like that is called figure carving? Good to know. Are there other types of carving? All I know of right now is western/floral, celtic and figure.

Let me know too if you would lol.

Johana, thanks for letting me know about that site.

Anything that involves something living other than plants is probably considered figure carving.  There are as many debates about this as there are leather workers, but I classify them like this.  Geometric and basketweave go together.  Animals, people, and many logos and symbols fall into figure carving.  Floral covers flowers, plants and acanthus.  Pictorial covers scenery, mountains, trees, structures etc.  Celtic could almost be its own category, although many viking images involve a bit of figure as well.  There may be more I am forgetting and I'm sure others can fill in the blanks.

If you are looking to learn how to carve and tool leather, most YouTube videos are too brief to really learn a lot from.  Not that it's hard to do, but a single ten minute video just can't show you all that much no matter how skilled the teacher is, and some of those are better than others.   One of the best I've found, by a true master, is Tandy's video series by Jim Linnell.  He takes you through tooling and making a wallet from beginning to end.  The pattern for cutting leather and tooling can be found at  https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/download/K33pit53cr3t/Blog_Project_Patterns/TLF_BillfoldBlog_1115.pdf  .   Bear in mind that it's sponsored by Tandy and references their tools and supplies, but of course you don't HAVE to buy their stuff. 

And, of course, as mentioned above, LearnLeather is a great resource with some free and some paid content.  Also as mentioned above Ian Atkinson and Nigel Armitage both have very good content on YouTube, but are more oriented toward leather project construction techniques than toward carving/tooling.  Others that are worth a look include Don Gonzales, Serge Volken, TandyLeatherfactory,  and UKSaddlery.  There are others that are good to be sure, and quite a few more that are not so good.

Hope that helps

-Bill

Bill, thanks for the info aND additional links.

Check out Jim Linnell as well.  On FB https://www.facebook.com/jim.linnell.7?hc_ref=ARQWY-VEGmk3F3XqDqqaDiLGgC3yTdziIDU4GuaKJQTu7r45gulN6Z7xxp9KWIHSwHI

and his website https://elktracksstudio.com/

Has web based workshops.  They are recorded and available as video later for any who were unable to attend.  Pace is slow so most should be able to keep up.  But having the video to review any time helps loads.  I have followed a couple live, and purchased others later.  Have a couple more to purchase when I get some time.

Tom

Mike, if you area able, sign me up.

Bob

Tom, thanks.

In general, how much do Bob Beard tools cost? $10-20 each or higher than that?

1 hour ago, Northmount said:

Check out Jim Linnell as well.  On FB https://www.facebook.com/jim.linnell.7?hc_ref=ARQWY-VEGmk3F3XqDqqaDiLGgC3yTdziIDU4GuaKJQTu7r45gulN6Z7xxp9KWIHSwHI

and his website https://elktracksstudio.com/

Has web based workshops.  They are recorded and available as video later for any who were unable to attend.  Pace is slow so most should be able to keep up.  But having the video to review any time helps loads.  I have followed a couple live, and purchased others later.  Have a couple more to purchase when I get some time.

Tom

For the record, all of my classes are recorded as well and have been for over four years.  In fact, Jim modeled his entire web based classes of of the learnleather.com model.

53 minutes ago, Basically Bob said:

Mike, if you area able, sign me up.

Bob

I'll see what I can do, Bob.

45 minutes ago, Railrider1920 said:

Tom, thanks.

In general, how much do Bob Beard tools cost? $10-20 each or higher than that?

More like starting at 50 bucks and going up.

Oh wow. Um, think I will have to wait for one of his tools. Want to make sure I stick with this hobby before spending that much on a single tool.