Gunnarsson

Leather scissor vs. fish scissor, difference?

I come across old scissors similar to these at flea markets every now and then, this general shape, one blade with teeth and one with a regular straight edge. This style scissor seems to be sold as leather scissor and fish scissor (for cutting fins etc.). Do you know if there is an actual diffrence between them, and if it really makes a diffrence when using them for either job?

I've been picking up old rusty fabric shears and restore them to usable condition for a few years now, if those leather/fish scissors work good enough in leather they might be worth the effort too, but I have no interest in them if they're useless outside the kitchen. Especially since the old ones i find aren't stainless.

CSO8BLT_scissor__72740.1455837502.1280.1280.gif

well i would give it a try if you can pick them up cheap? we have some leather shears which were new old stock from a shop that closed in 1945. the maker is Otto Langenhahn (you can see faintly the stamp in the picture) OL who also made saddlers knifes etc.. I was told this was made with Solingen steel, i dont think they are stainless like the fishmongers scissors as there is rust on the handles. i can say they cut leather really well and as you can imagine they do not slip. to me they look just the same. i´ll cut some fins and you try some leather :lol: regards jimi.

20180624_015344.jpg.9d2513d7da1860594b73d3b102cde64e.jpg20180624_015406.thumb.jpg.cbcc3eeff88448d8b8cb36aad8bdadd0.jpg

Edited by jimi

The old ones I've seen have certainly not been stainless either, but it sounds like they're worth taking a chance on assuming I can find them in good enough condition - the rust has usually done quite a bit of damage in all the wrong places. But they'll be cheap for sure, anything over (equal to) $2 or 3 and I'll walk away if they're not in very good condition. 

I have these two. One with italian mark and one german.  Commonly used in the saddle and

other veg. leather venues. 

One is used daily in cutting heatsealed embroidered patches.  The 

single sharpened upper edge makes a downward cut very clean .  The other used in my

shoe and leather hobby.  For example after sewing a wallet I can cut a very clean line along

the stitch line.  Makes burnishing easier.

As long as inside edge is clean or can be cleaned up with minimum removal

their useful.

twin scissors.JPG