plinkercases

Rolling sides - Grain on or out?

So I have seen it both ways...Tandy rolls grain in for storage and shipping.... a friend who has had a leather working business for years rolls grain out for shipping (in box) and storing ..or stacked flat.

now I don't ship but do store..... so for storage roll it grain our or in? preferences? pros - cons? (other then the obvious of damage to the grain side).... is there something to do with storing the grain side slightly stretched or under compression?

Stored flat is best.  Lays flat when working on it.  Grain side down so you don't get a tan on the surface before you're ready.  

I've seen it rolled both ways, didn't seem to harm anything - long as it wasn't rolled too tightly.

Thanks and yes i have experienced tan lines! Now i cover with canvas drop cloth also to separate heavy oiled site like latigo from veg.

21 hours ago, plinkercases said:

Now i cover with canvas drop cloth also to

I like big cardboard - like ya might see on a pallet.  Smooth surface wont scratch the leather, light weight, easy to place and remove, and the cardboard will tend to absorb some of the moisture in teh air (to a point) if it's humid.  Only down side... sometimes seems like the hide you need is the one on the bottom :head_hurts_kr:

3 hours ago, JLSleather said:

I like big cardboard

Have you had any issues with it?  I had read in a previous thread that you shouldn't store in cardboard because the chemicals in the cardboard binders would leach into your veggie tan and wreak havoc... so I have been all paranoid because I have some of my leathers stored in cardboard boxes and been wondering if I really really need to get them outta there...?

YinTx

Never any trouble with the cardboard.  But I get CLEAN stuff.. nothing that has actually BEEN used on a pallet.  If you move, those big moving boxes work great, cut a corner so it lays flat.

Good to hear, thanks, I'll relax a bit...

YinTx