Jimmy McLaughlin

Hand Forged Buckles

I am looking for a hand forged Damascus belt buckle. I did a lot of searches but didn't find anything that I like. I am not looking for a western style or trophy type. I am looking for something that is hand crafted and different. I made a belt for myself and want something to go with it. Picture is below. Can someone give me a site that I might be able to find something?

Jim

Gun .jpg

is that the style you want ? or a center bar, or roller? I don't have a site of the top of my head, but I know that a lot of smiths like a challenge. I would try contacting a few to see what they say. Many of the blade smiths have web sites that you could check with.

Such a buckle would need to be waxed or oiled regularly to avoid rust, but I agree it would look nice with that belt.

On 6/24/2018 at 9:21 PM, JD62 said:

Is that the style you want ? or a center bar, or roller? I don't have a site of the top of my head, but I know that a lot of smiths like a challenge. I would try contacting a few to see what they say. Many of the blade smiths have web sites that you could check with.

Thank you for time. I am looking for an oval or the trophy shape.I really like the one below. I say it on a site, it was sold out. They had it for $190. It is a brass back piece and Damascus center piece with brass rivets. Let me know if you come up with someone.

images.jpeg

On 6/25/2018 at 7:34 AM, olfart said:

Such a buckle would need to be waxed or oiled regularly to avoid rust, but I agree it would look nice with that belt.

You are right about that. I was unaware of special treatment needed for Damascus  hand forged buckles. The one buckle that I was looking at had to be placed into a bag. I might have a problem with that. I know how I am, I might do it for a few weeks then it will be forgotten about.

Very nice,I like them. The buckle above that I posted originally sold for $190. They told me the price for material went up since that was posted.Now they are selling for $300.I always wanted to give Blacksmithing a try. If I am going to spend $300 on a buckle, I figured I will spend that $300 on a course and make one. I will let you know how it goes.

Jim

These guys make some really cool damascus. They also sell drops that may be big enough to make your buckle. If you don't see what you like they sell on Ebay too. I bet if you contact them they could point you in the right direction.

5 hours ago, Jimmy McLaughlin said:

Very nice,I like them. The buckle above that I posted originally sold for $190. They told me the price for material went up since that was posted.Now they are selling for $300.I always wanted to give Blacksmithing a try. If I am going to spend $300 on a buckle, I figured I will spend that $300 on a course and make one. I will let you know how it goes.

Jim

You can probably find a blacksmithing group (club) near you where you can learn blacksmithing for a lot less money.  Then you can spend that money on forge, anvil, tools, etc. or the materials to make them.

A damascus buckle would have to be treated with something to prevent rusting. Typically,  damascus is made with a high carbon steel and a high nickle steel. Some people have had bad reactions to nickle when it comes into contact with the skin. The high carbon steel is the one that would rust and is the reason it would need to be treated with something like wax or an oil.

I am in a FB group for blacksmithing.  I'm sure someone there can make one for you or at least point you to someone in your area that can.  Is there a way to send private messages here through the site? If there is, Jimmy, please send me your contact info and basic area of where you live and I'll see if I can get you in contact with someone that can help you.

Rob.

Or if you would rather, join this FB group and make a post asking for damascus makers in your area.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/541243726021154/

On 7/1/2018 at 10:02 PM, olfart said:

You can probably find a blacksmithing group (club) near you where you can learn blacksmithing for a lot less money.  Then you can spend that money on forge, anvil, tools, etc. or the materials to make them.

There are plenty of groups all over the states. Check out this link. Then find your state. You can contact them to find a group that meets close to you. 

https://abana.org/affiliates/affiliate-map-list/#!directory/map

Typically,  you don't have to join a club to go to a few meetings. Just find out when and where they meet.  Show up with some safety glasses and you could most likely start forging that day. Ask questions. Every blacksmith I've met or talked to was always willing to help out. The people there can show you how it's done. Ask who in the group makes damascus. Tell them what you want made and you probably will leave there having met the person or having gotten their contact info. 

Hope this helps.

Rob

I found a Blacksmith group and I ended up taking a course in it. By the time I get done with the course, this will be the most expensive buckle I ever had. The school is in NJ, called Petersvalley.org that is the web site.This is how I got into leather working. I needed a new belt and figured I can make one. I looked on youtube to get an idea of how to go about it.Well, I figured I would only get a couple of tools that I needed to make a belt. LOL, I don't have to tell you all the rest of the story. I became a tool junkie. If this happens with Blacksmithing I will be looking for a new wife. If you all don't hear from me, you know what happened.

Jersey Jim

i

Peters valley is a good place to go. If you're a tool junkie, blacksmithing may not be for you lol. I want a couple of hammers from specific makers. They start at about $80-100 and go up from there. Many of the tools you will use, you can make yourself.

That is what I am afraid of. If I get into it, I will need a coal forge to start out with. That means I need a separate work area. I would have to get a shed that can be used for a forge. I am talking big money already. I might as well move to a new house. That is exactly how my head works, I am sick. LOL

Sick Jim

Jim, you can do it as cheaply as you want, almost. This is the type of coal forge I started with. I used an empty freon jug from an air conditioning place, cut it in half, put a pipe in it, drill holes in it. Then after that, I put in some clay I dug up from a river bank. Add a hose and a hair dryer along with charcoal,  it got hot enough to burn and melt steal.

https://goo.gl/images/bvf7am

If you don't want rust to be an issue you might try Mokume Gane as the material the gabricate your buckle out of

I'd be interested in the project, but will not be able to work on any new projects till November/December

Blacksmithing is a handy skill to have.  Not only can you make your own blacksmithing tools, but you can also make your own leatherworking tools (some of them at least).  I've made a couple of hammers, several sets of tongs, punches, drifts, etc., as well as a coal forge and a gas forge.  For leatherworking I've made a couple of punches for belt loops in holsters, a freehand stitching groover and a beveling tool, mostly out of scrap metal from the shop.

On 6/28/2018 at 6:34 PM, Fowlingpiece said:

K

2018-06-28 18.33.09.jpg

2018-06-28 18.34.05.jpg

2018-06-28 18.35.37.jpg

Very nice. Who makes these?