This is a holster I made for my uncle for his Kel Tec PF9 Holster. I am not an avid marksman/sportsman so I am a little worried about how well it will draw out and sit on his belt, but I will definitely get feed back on it for sure and make it better if need be. The copper rivets were a good challenge for me to think through because I didn't want to other end to be rubbing against the pistol, so I used two 3/4 oz pieces and put them together. I really had to think through the process repeatedly to make sure I was doing it right. I'm pretty happy with it but worried that it will not draw out as well as I hope. 

I know this is Show Off but I'm always looking to improve so if you see something let me know please! 

What I've seen/considered:

1. Stitching on the inside may get worn/frayed/fall apart over time and I'm not sure how to get around that

2. Stitching too close to edge

3. Maybe the piece around the trigger guard is too wide? I have a huge hand and it was kind of hard for me to draw it out nicely, but this is for a 2 inch belt which I wasn't wearing so there was some slop

Anyways, here it is large.IMG_6361.JPG.f9d62d96bb9c3384fe20800c716c1c09.JPGlarge.IMG_6362.JPG.ad6aef54a09ee6ec92875d17cb863621.JPGlarge.IMG_6364.JPG.27f2dd6a114913d842bb94296adbaafe.JPGlarge.IMG_6363.JPG.aeebb798adbaaebe6a9e4c2269dee4bc.JPGlarge.IMG_6365.JPG.83fe1be169ffddf52a5db307a1543bd0.JPGlarge.IMG_6366.JPG.560b3d6a8b512ef2b0335a431dee2014.JPGlarge.IMG_6367.JPG.96a302f32f2456810fe71d428f3a9ee0.JPG

Wow, looking good . I think you may be correct about the draw. I think the cut covering the trigergard should be lower so it doesn't cover the magazine release, then you could come in towards the frame another 1/2 inch .Then you'd have more room to grip for the draw. You've done a good job and I really like the decorative stitching! 

Looks real nice!

Sam:)

First off nice molding and fitment. The decorative stitch is a nice touch.

Jd is right the magazine release needs to be exposed as you don’t want it to accidentally get pushed in and release your magazine. Also you need enough room to get a good grip on the firearm for the draw. I also don’t bring up the outside of the holster so high as it’s more leather to clear. 

I’d also suggest sewing your belt loop & not using rivets while they are strong they will wear your britches.

Edited by Fire88

That decorative stitching is super cool and I kick myself for not thinking of it myself! I think everyone else has answered the draw bit well enough but to be fair, unless he will be trying some action shooting stuff with it, it'll likely be fine for EDC. Practice can get him around any life or death timing issues with it if he plans to use it that way.

On 6/24/2018 at 6:43 PM, JD62 said:

Wow, looking good . I think you may be correct about the draw. I think the cut covering the trigergard should be lower so it doesn't cover the magazine release, then you could come in towards the frame another 1/2 inch .Then you'd have more room to grip for the draw. You've done a good job and I really like the decorative stitching! 

On 6/24/2018 at 8:07 PM, Fire88 said:

First off nice molding and fitment. The decorative stitch is a nice touch.

Jd is right the magazine release needs to be exposed as you don’t want it to accidentally get pushed in and release your magazine. Also you need enough room to get a good grip on the firearm for the draw. I also don’t bring up the outside of the holster so high as it’s more leather to clear. 

I’d also suggest sewing your belt loop & not using rivets while they are strong they will wear your britches.

Thank you! Ahh man... I forgot that little tab on the side is the release... it's been so long since I've handled a gun haha. The reason why I brought the leather up higher is because I was worried about getting enough friction to make sure that it will stay in securely as it is friction fit. Do you have any tips for finding the optimal balance of leather amount for friction fit for holsters and sheaths? I've done similar things with my sheaths as well because I've made one before that exposed more handle but then I lost some grip. 

On 6/24/2018 at 8:04 PM, ComputerDoctor said:

Looks real nice!

Sam:)

On 6/25/2018 at 3:33 PM, jmkjmk2 said:

I'ld be proud of that!

Thank you very much! 

On 6/25/2018 at 3:57 PM, battlemunky said:

That decorative stitching is super cool and I kick myself for not thinking of it myself! I think everyone else has answered the draw bit well enough but to be fair, unless he will be trying some action shooting stuff with it, it'll likely be fine for EDC. Practice can get him around any life or death timing issues with it if he plans to use it that way.

Thank you! I've played with decorative stitching before but not like this one and I am very pleased that it came out so well. I will ask him to practice with it and give me feedback and if I need to redo it I will. 

10 hours ago, Chief Filipino said:

Thank you! Ahh man... I forgot that little tab on the side is the release... it's been so long since I've handled a gun haha. The reason why I brought the leather up higher is because I was worried about getting enough friction to make sure that it will stay in securely as it is friction fit. Do you have any tips for finding the optimal balance of leather amount for friction fit for holsters and sheaths? I've done similar things with my sheaths as well because I've made one before that exposed more handle but then I lost some grip. 

Thank you very much! 

I can take both my inside the waistband and outside the waist band holsters and hold them upside down with no worry the gun will fall out. 

If your stitchline is tight against the trigger guard and the barrel then you’ll have no worries about retention. I’ll glue my portion under the grip(let dry) insert gun take a silver pen and mark where I want my stitch tight to the gun. Remove gun sew. Test for the gun and it’s usually snugger than a bug in a rug  wet holster put real gun in ziploc bag and insert into holster and manipulate the leather till I get it exactly where I want it and let dry. 

Love the decorative stitch.  The others pointed out the big thing, don't cover the mag release.  That serves two purposes.  One less chance of accidental mag release and it allows for more grip purchase on the draw.  Now get to work on a good sturdy gun belt for him

17 hours ago, Fire88 said:

I can take both my inside the waistband and outside the waist band holsters and hold them upside down with no worry the gun will fall out. 

If your stitchline is tight against the trigger guard and the barrel then you’ll have no worries about retention. I’ll glue my portion under the grip(let dry) insert gun take a silver pen and mark where I want my stitch tight to the gun. Remove gun sew. Test for the gun and it’s usually snugger than a bug in a rug  wet holster put real gun in ziploc bag and insert into holster and manipulate the leather till I get it exactly where I want it and let dry. 

So for friction fit holsters it's more about the stitch line and the molding correct? About how far should the stitch be? My thoughts being if it is too close to the trigger it will end up tearing the leather? 

7 hours ago, skinhacker said:

Love the decorative stitch.  The others pointed out the big thing, don't cover the mag release.  That serves two purposes.  One less chance of accidental mag release and it allows for more grip purchase on the draw.  Now get to work on a good sturdy gun belt for him

Thank you and I actually am working on the belt for him as I read this hahaha!  

18 hours ago, Mattsbagger said:

Look at JLSLeather and Jason Ingle for good examples of holsters.

Will do thank you! 

On 6/28/2018 at 4:18 PM, Chief Filipino said:

So for friction fit holsters it's more about the stitch line and the molding correct? About how far should the stitch be? My thoughts being if it is too close to the trigger it will end up tearing the leather? 

Thank you and I actually am working on the belt for him as I read this hahaha!  

Will do thank you! 

I use JLS instruction as my template for where to place stitchline. It’s gonna vary by gun and holster type.