Piqued

Questions regarding Juki LS-341n

I’ve never used a sewing machine before and just stitch bags and wallets by hand. I am considering a second hand Juki LS-341N as my first machine, and I have a few questions. I’m really hoping you could help me out.

1. Is Juki LS-341n a good machine for stitching 2 to 3 layers of 2mm vegtanned leather?
  2. How about oil or chrome tanned leather? Denim? Thick canvas?
  3. Do I really need a servo machine with it? I was told by a local dealer that it is more expensive than a clutch motor and since electricity in our country is not that stable, any fluctuations will damage the computer board of the servo motor. Will using an AVR solve the problem? Also, what specific things should I look for in a servo motor?
  4. I also remember the dealer saying that locally available servo motors are too weak. We use 220v here. Can I use a 110v servo motor from the US and just have it shipped here? Is that a good idea? If yes, what specifications for the transformer should I use? 
  5. If I won’t be able to get my hands on a servo motor immediately and have to use a clutch motor, what should be the specs?  What should I ask the dealer/mechanic to do with the clutch motor so I could use the sewing machine while waiting for a servo replacement?
  6. If I use the machine with denim, or denim and leather, do I need to  switch to a clutch motor?
  7. For 2 layers of 2 mm thick vegetable tanned leather, what kind of needles should I buy? 
  8. How about for 3 layers?
  9. I plan to use Vinymo thread. What’s the thickest size I could use with the Juki 341n and what kind/number of needle is appropriate? If I go a size thinner, what’s the corresponding size of needle should I use?
  10. I’ve read that some sewing machines tend to leave marks on the leather. What is that part called? Is there a special tool I could use to avoid that? I’ve also read that some people had to file down the ridges. Could I buy an already-smooth one?
  11. What other things/attachments should I buy so I could maximize the use of the machine? 

Sorry for bombarding you with questions. Although I’ve read some posts pertaining to this specific machine, I wasn’t really able to find out if it’s okay to use it with vegtanned leather. Thank you so much!

Hi Piqued,

Overall you can't go wrong with a Juki machine. If properly maintained they are great machines with lots of available accessories and availability to repair parts from many sources. Juki is one of the main manufacturers that which the clones are held too. The Juki LS-341N according to the specs I have read it should be able to handle V69 to V 207 thread. Since your electrical grid is not as stable as you would like it maybe best to go with a clutch motor and speed reduction pulleys to increase torque, provide slower speeds and better control of your work.

If you purchase a servo motor from North America you will need a voltage converter with the correct ampere rating for the servo motor you purchase. I would recommend whether you use servo or clutch motor that you should also use a dedicated correctly sized uninterpreted power supply (UPS) with a sine wave output rather then a chopped wave output to help remove exposure to mini brown downs or over voltage from the electrical grid to extend the life of the motors. For the other questions I will leave them to others that have more knowledge on those topics.

kgg

There are 220 volt servos made to use your voltage & they work good .

^^Thank you, kgg! Thabks for the UPS tip! :)

5 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

There are 220 volt servos made to use your voltage & they work good .

Do you have one in stock? 

I'm home now but will check in the morning,I'm almost certain we do.

Edited by CowboyBob

13 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

I'm home now but will check in the morning,I'm almost certain we do.

Thank you!:)

Yes,we do have a few of them.