KBCustom

Techsew 3650 feed dog question

Hello everyone, I am still trying to decide on a sewing machine within my budget. It seems like the techsew 3650 is going to be a good fit for me. Although,  while reading some reviews, people are saying the feed dog really ruins the underside of the leather when sewing. I'm very green when it comes to these machines so if anyone has some advice I would be grateful! Is there a replacement part I can purchase to keep the under side flawless same as the top as I use backing leather on everything I make.

Thank you!

There are few presser foot options for this machine class. The factory foot is at least a half inch wide with split double toes. Edge stitching closer that 1/4 inch in will be tricky because the edge guide will need to be extended in front of the right toe to get the edge to roll against it. The geometry will be bad on turns with the roller guide that far front the plane of the needle. You would be wise to ask about getting a modified single left toe foot up front.

As for the feed dog, it is what it is. The teeth are very aggressive so as to move heavy leather along for the next stitch. Since the presser foot is static and probably under great spring pressure, you need sharp teeth to force the leather to move under the heavy foot.

You can pound down the tooth marks if that is important to the appearance of your finished projects. But, if you are sewing things that are really only viewed on the top grain side, tooth marks on the bottom won't matter much.

Note that there is a fairly narrow range of needle sizes for this machine in leather point. They typically start at #23 and go up to #27, covering a thread range of #138 through #346.

The thickness and density of each piece of leather determines the maximum thickness that can actually be sewn. The absolute mechanical maximum is 7/16 inch, which you may not reach if the leather is too thick and dense.

3 hours ago, KBCustom said:

To avoid all these issues, would you reccomend a comparable model around the same price point ( 1300-1600)?

The machine I or others would recommend depends entirely on what you intend to sew. If you don't plan on sewing more than 3/8 inch, and then only that thickness occasionally, then most modern walking foot machines will do. Cylinder arm machines tend to cost more than flat bed machines. So, do you want or need a cylinder arm? What are you going to be sewing?

Thread handling capacity also plays a part in the cost of any machine. If you are good with 22 pound test #138 bonded thread, any walking foot machine will do. But, if you plan to sew items that need more stitch strength, these machines won't handle the larger thread diameters. Your cost goes up when you move into harness and holster sewing machine land.

A lot of people on this forum have opted to buy a Cowboy CB3200. Check out the specs and decide if that is what you really want. It could be overkill if you only plan to sew wallets and bags. But, it won't put tooth marks on the bottom layer and you can get different presser feet that are left toe, right toe and the standard double toe. These feet are not nearly as wide across as those on the other machine you asked about.

The CBS 3200 was my next choice. I will be sewing items such as breast collars, spur straps, photo albums, chaps, wallets, belts, etc. It seems like having a cylinder arm would help me maneuver better? For the items such as spur straps and breast collars that will see a lot of wear, I would like something that can sew a heavier thread.

9 minutes ago, KBCustom said:

The CBS 3200 was my next choice. I will be sewing items such as breast collars, spur straps, photo albums, chaps, wallets, belts, etc. It seems like having a cylinder arm would help me maneuver better? For the items such as spur straps and breast collars that will see a lot of wear, I would like something that can sew a heavier thread.

Okay. That changes the dynamic. You are going to want to think about upping your budget. Breast collars usually exceed the lifting capacity of the CB3200. I recommend a Cowboy CB4500, or Techsew 5100, or Cobra Class 4. These machines all have 16" arms and can clear an inch with the needle and feet lifted all the way up. With the feet engaged, they can sew a little more than 3/4 inch. I have eeked out a solid 7/8 inch on a custom holster on my CB4500. There are accessory throat plates that are used for holsters and stirrups. There is even a flat slotted plate that lets you remove the feed dog for a smoother appearance on the bottom.

These machines will set you back about a thousand more than what you were hoping for. But, you won't have to turn down jobs due to lack of handling capacity. I have never regretted having more machine than I thought I needed back when. I remind myself of this every time I sew bullet loops onto a gun belt. The short arm machines won't do this kind of job without a huge fight and a lot of bending.

Last point. All of the above machines, including the CB3200, use the same needle system and can sew the same lower range of thickness (~6 to 8 ounces). The only difference is in the top end, where the 3200 maxes out at 1/2 inch. You can't use raised throat plates on it because it lacks the height clearances.

I have had it with my Techsew GA5-1. I bought it second hand and had it fully serviced by the Techsew company in Montreal. (Since I live 3 hrs from there, I actually drove there for servicing.) They cleaned it and got her all working great. But the feed dogs destroy the back of all my leather products. I tried to shave them down so they werent so aggressive. That didnt help. It skips the odd stitch, it sews inconsistent stitches, and it is just too gd finicky. Tjey fixed the tim8ng on it. I tried to get help with the techs at Techsew but they make it seem like a secret squirrel club where heaven forbid they actually show you how to use the machine on site or give you pointers as a new owner. But here's the manual, figure it out. I have spent about $500 just to get it working for me and my leather and it SUCKS. I would not recommend this machine AT ALL for anyone doing leather. 

Now I have to try and sell the stupid and recover the $1200 I pd for it plus the accessories I bought. 

All I am trying to make is horse tack. Nosebands, breast collars, halters, dog collars and leashes. I am nkt making saddles or pistol holders. 

What would be a good go to machine? The CB4500 seems popular as does a cobra. I just dont know where a good start is again.

Feeling extremely aggravated and upset. HELP!!!

I use a Cowboy CB4500. It has a smooth feed dog and triple feed, plus a 16 inch arm. It sews from about 6 ounces up to about 7/8 of an inch. Please don't ask what that is in Metric.

That is what I am currently looking at!! Where is the best place to get one? I have a US address so I can clear customs on my own, just need it shipped to NY. For the price difference between the 3200 and the 4500 its worth it to go a but bigger so I don't have to worry about thickness. 

14 minutes ago, VinnieAndy said:

That is what I am currently looking at!! Where is the best place to get one? I have a US address so I can clear customs on my own, just need it shipped to NY. For the price difference between the 3200 and the 4500 its worth it to go a but bigger so I don't have to worry about thickness. 

You can get a CB4500 here. You will need to call on the phone to place an order.

Suffice to say, I should not have been in front of my machine last night!! 

After a good night sleep, I calmly sat back down at my Beastly Techsew and we had a chat. I have learned that it isn't the machine, but rather the operator!!! I am new at this and these machines are a learning curve. I figured out how to correct the missed stitches when I stop, and that she goes well both slow and fast! I will still save for a Cowboy or a Cobra, but now that we have this understanding, it is a decent machine!! For the price of it!!

Thanks for all the relpies and support! 

On 7/7/2018 at 5:41 PM, VinnieAndy said:

I have learned that it isn't the machine, but rather the operator!!!

:lol: way to go vinne. glad you got that skipped stitch problem seen to. if this is any help to you, these machines are copy´s of the Singer 45k class machine. they have been used for many many years by the saddle makers, (and some saddle shops still use them). since the 1960´s they stopped making them as other models came into the scene with better functions like triple feed etc.. as wiz said you can hammer out the marks or maybe wet the leather and smooth them out a little. another option is using a right side foot with one row of teeth on the right side which will leave the marks on the outside which is later cut off. loosing only 5mm of material which is not a big loss if you want no marks on the underside of the leather. the only problem being is that i do not think they are a standard set for your machine and even on the old 45k  machines they are hard to find unless your machine came with these accessories. if you are a little handy i reckon you could fix up a set or get a friend to make one. you can see it here. all the best,jimi.