I'm in the market for a skiving machine and came across this old Fortuna. I've never used a bell skiver and realize that they are finicky and have a learning curve. That said, would this machine be a worthwhile purchase if it works properly or would I be better off buying a new Cowboy or other clone? I usually buy old machines but am just not sure if skivers are easily repaired or costly to do so. I appreciate any input.

Screen shot 2018-06-27 at 11.17.01 AM.png

Screen shot 2018-06-27 at 11.17.09 AM.png

Edited by David Bruce

Hello David,

skiving machines are not that complicated to work on. There are plenty of youtube videos show you how to adjust the machine. I bought a used beat up one changed a few piece and got it working great. I have never used a fortuna the ones I have are consew and a cobra. they are the same thing just copies of the fortuna. fortuna's are hard to find and when you find one price is very steep.  be sure to ask if he has other accessories for machine if you decide to buy it.  there is a special tool used to remove blade when it needs to be changed. I didn't ask when I bought my first one and wasn't able to change blade till I borrowed a friends tool. depending on the price I would buy it since I myself like old machines. I hope this helped if you need any help you are in the right forum. The people here have a the knowledge and I am sure others will provide there 2 cents. 

58 minutes ago, aroh99 said:

Hello David,

skiving machines are not that complicated to work on. There are plenty of youtube videos show you how to adjust the machine. I bought a used beat up one changed a few piece and got it working great. I have never used a fortuna the ones I have are consew and a cobra. they are the same thing just copies of the fortuna. fortuna's are hard to find and when you find one price is very steep.  be sure to ask if he has other accessories for machine if you decide to buy it.  there is a special tool used to remove blade when it needs to be changed. I didn't ask when I bought my first one and wasn't able to change blade till I borrowed a friends tool. depending on the price I would buy it since I myself like old machines. I hope this helped if you need any help you are in the right forum. The people here have a the knowledge and I am sure others will provide there 2 cents. 

3 hours ago, David Bruce said:

I'm in the market for a skiving machine and came across this old Fortuna. I've never used a bell skiver and realize that they are finicky and have a learning curve. That said, would this machine be a worthwhile purchase if it works properly or would I be better off buying a new Cowboy or other clone? I usually buy old machines but am just not sure if skivers are easily repaired or costly to do so. I appreciate any input.

Screen shot 2018-06-27 at 11.17.01 AM.png

Screen shot 2018-06-27 at 11.17.09 AM.png

On 6/27/2018 at 2:54 PM, aroh99 said:

What is considered a decent or acceptable price for one with the table and dust collector?

Have you bought this machine? Wonder what is the acceptable price as well...

I wouldn't say these things are particularly easy to repair at all if there's appreciable runout in the sharpening stone or bell knife drive shafts.

If the thing is running, color the knife edge with a marker and lightly touch the sharpening stone to the edge and see whether it contacts relatively evenly. If not, I'd pass unless it's cheap and you already know how to fix these things or want to learn how and like spending money on parts.

Reiterate what others said about the accessories.

Edited by Nuttish

So, I bought the Fortuna!  This was a craigslist purchase so I had no idea what I was going to find when I went to look at it. I was very pleased to find that the seller was a retired leatherworker who knew the machine inside and out. He had been doing leatherwork since the 60's and kept the machine in great mechanical shape. He was kind enough to show me  how to operate the machine along with basic maintenance, sharpening, etc... He also showed me some of his other remaining equipment and had some of his work samples which were very nice. You can check out his blog here: http://leathercraftsman.blogspot.com/

I paid a few hundred less than a new clone costs which included the table, aspirating system, an extra presser foot, some dressing tools and the original manual. It also has a clutch that controls the feed speed by way of a foot pedal. I love that I know the history of the machine along with meeting the man that used it for all of those years. I was also very happy to give my money to a fellow craftsman.

fortuna.png

Edited by David Bruce

On 06/07/2018 at 10:38 AM, David Bruce said:

What is considered a decent or acceptable price for one with the table and dust collector?

I have a couple of skiving machines and the Fortuna one that looks the same as this one is my favorite. If the machine is working alright I would say that a price from $1000 to $1500 would be great but I would pay $2000 easily if it is in good condition. Note I do put a high value on the dust extraction part. You mention small leather goods and that often involves soft leathers that the dust extractor helps the leather to pull through without getting could on the feed roller. Check my you tube videos to see a little bit on this.

5 minutes ago, David Bruce said:

So, I bought the Fortuna!  This was a craigslist purchase so I had no idea what I was going to find when I went to look at it. I was very pleased to find that the seller was a retired leatherworker who knew the machine inside and out. He had been doing leatherwork since the 60's and kept the machine in great mechanical shape. He was kind enough to show me  how to operate the machine along with basic maintenance, sharpening, etc... He also showed me some of his other remaining equipment and had some of his work samples which were very nice. You can check out his blog here: http://leathercraftsman.blogspot.com/

I paid a few hundred less than a new clone costs which included the table, aspirating system, an extra presser foot, some dressing tools and the original manual. It also has a clutch that controls the feed speed by way of a foot pedal. I love that I know the history of the machine along with meeting the man that used it for all of those years. I was also very happy to give my money to a fellow craftsmen.

I think that you will find that you have made a wise investment. :thumbsup: Just ask here if you need any help.

5 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

I think that you will find that you have made a wise investment. :thumbsup: Just ask here if you need any help.

Thanks, much appreciated. I will be ordering a steel feed wheel, some sharpening stones and belts soon. I contacted Fortuna and they said that they still make all parts for my machine which is nice to know.

12 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

I have a couple of skiving machines and the Fortuna one that looks the same as this one is my favorite. If the machine is working alright I would say that a price from $1000 to $1500 would be great but I would pay $2000 easily if it is in good condition. Note I do put a high value on the dust extraction part. You mention small leather goods and that often involves soft leathers that the dust extractor helps the leather to pull through without getting could on the feed roller. Check my you tube videos to see a little bit on this.

13 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

I think I did well on price. I paid what he was asking which seemed fair to me. He also sold me a nice Dixon lap skiver for a bargain. The Fortuna model number is 50SAG, it's a beast. I've already run a bunch of Horween through it and even a little Hermann Oak veg tan, (though it started to glaze the feed wheel so I only did a little of it). I think it's my new favorite machine besides my motorcycles!

If you were wondering what the 50SAG means it stands for 50=feed roller size, S=setup for shoe industry type work, A= exhaust system and G= closed, it has the left side cover. :spoton:

12 hours ago, David Bruce said:

(though it started to glaze the feed wheel so I only did a little of it). I think it's my new favorite machine besides my motorcycles!

Do your thick and greasy stuff in multiple passes. I often just run the same setting but hold the article back so it is only doing half the depth on the first run. If it still slips you may need to sharpen the blade. On really bad stuff you can let it sharpen a bit as as you feed it through as long as your not doing large amounts for any length of time.

On 7/19/2018 at 6:00 AM, RockyAussie said:

Do your thick and greasy stuff in multiple passes. I often just run the same setting but hold the article back so it is only doing half the depth on the first run. If it still slips you may need to sharpen the blade. On really bad stuff you can let it sharpen a bit as as you feed it through as long as your not doing large amounts for any length of time.

Thanks, it's fine with the greasy/oily leather it only glazed the feed roller when I ran natural veg tan. I just need to get a steel roller for veg. Such a time saver and no more concern about slicing through soft leathers with a skiving knife!

On 7/19/2018 at 3:24 AM, jimi said:

If you were wondering what the 50SAG means it stands for 50=feed roller size, S=setup for shoe industry type work, A= exhaust system and G= closed, it has the left side cover. :spoton:

Thanks!

On 7/18/2018 at 5:26 PM, RockyAussie said:

Where’s your YouTube channel? I just bought one of these... I may have screwed up by just buying the head, and not having the table shipped? Tell me about this exhaust system! 

10 hours ago, turbotexas said:

Where’s your YouTube channel? I just bought one of these... I may have screwed up by just buying the head, and not having the table shipped? Tell me about this exhaust system! 

My you tube stuff should show up in my signature as a link here on L.W.as far as I know but none the less this should take you to one of them -

With the exhaust system there is no scrap deflector thingy, just the deflector that sits inside the bell knife. It should be maintained at around 15mm back from the edge. The vacuum pulls the leather in and down into a collection box which rarely gives any problems with stocking to the feed stone or feed rubber or steel. Check out the circular skiving video and you can quickly appreciate that it shows no problem even on the soft upholstery type being used there. 

Thank you gentlemen! 

On 11/11/2019 at 4:40 AM, RockyAussie said:

My you tube stuff should show up in my signature as a link here on L.W.as far as I know but none the less this should take you to one of them -

With the exhaust system there is no scrap deflector thingy, just the deflector that sits inside the bell knife. It should be maintained at around 15mm back from the edge. The vacuum pulls the leather in and down into a collection box which rarely gives any problems with stocking to the feed stone or feed rubber or steel. Check out the circular skiving video and you can quickly appreciate that it shows no problem even on the soft upholstery type being used there. 

Where’d you find that roller foot? 

21 hours ago, turbotexas said:

Thank you gentlemen! 

Where’d you find that roller foot? 

The one in the video above I bought from the Cowboy seller here in Australia. The brass one in the other video's on my youtube are just ones that I have made myself by cutting down some standard feet and building on from there. You might find something in this AliExpress page of interest such as number 18 for $6.55 au or number 20 for $17.23 au.  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33049213271.html

:dunno:  This post I did awhile back shows both the one I made and the other above with alterations I had to do.

On 7/18/2018 at 3:26 PM, katit said:

Have you bought this machine? Wonder what is the acceptable price as well...

Sorry for the really long delay in responding. I haven't been on the site in quite awhile due to work, etc...I did buy the Fortuna. It's been great for everything that I've used it on (wallets, bags, card holders) all chrome tanned leather. I also bought the steel roller, a new blade and grinding wheel. I paid $1000 for it which I think is a steal since it came with the table and vacuum system. I would think a fair price for my set up is $1500-2000. I ended up buying a second top/bottom feed Fortuna with an Italian table/vacuum set up for $250!   

Fortuna.jpg