Railrider1920

How are leather boxes made?

Hi everyone,

I saw a book for sale online about making leather boxes. I think it was from the tandy site, but now I can't find it.

Does anyone here make boxes? Could you post some pics please? Are there any tutorials available online? 

Thanks, Rob 

Here's one I make. Only three pieces. 2 end caps, and a wrap around piece for the body.

.picasa.ini

IMG_2813.JPG

Thats really very nice TSes

Best thing you can do is buy these books.  The Art of Making Cases Vol. 1-3 and the Art of Hand Stitching, all from Tandy and All by Al Stohlman.  They are comprehensive and will feel you all you need to know about making boxes.

I refer to mine all the time.  

A video showing how the Italian leather boxes are made:  

The publications Mike suggested ate 100% worth it. The stitching book will teach you how to stitch anything you need to stitch. And the techniques on the books are invaluable. 

That said, there are different types of boxes and different construction methods. It depends on what you are trying to achieve and what type of box you want to end up with.

There are also many types of "boxes", from tubs or pill boxes, boxes with flaps, boxes with nesting lids, etc.  I second Mike's recommendation and also recommend you look at Nigel Armitage's youtube video on box stitching.  He reveals a special clam made for doing square or rectangular boxes.  It is very informative.

I like that style of box. I'm wondering if a piece of wood/ plastic etc would help keep the lid a bit more flat?

Thank you all very much for your suggestions. 

I actually found a place to download the book that Mike mentioned. You do have to sign up for it though.

https://www.scribd.com/document/98650425/Stohlman-Leather-Cases-Vol-1

Pretty sure you can download those from Tandy as well.

1 hour ago, immiketoo said:

Pretty sure you can download those from Tandy as well.

Yes both hose books provide great info on mittered box construction and sewing and the Tandy Library Site sells them in PDF for download.

The Stohlman case books are invaluable.   Projects in them are very dated (when was the last time you saw an instamatic film camera with cube flash?).  But the techniques are just as sound now as they ever were.   They are a good investment.

- Bill