Sign in to follow this  
Jackshandmade

Consew 223 Help with value and application

Long time listener first time caller.  Need to add a cylinder bed machine to my arsenal.  There’s one here on my local craigslist.  How much should I pay for one of these without reverse?  I’m trying to develop some sports bags, water bottle holders, wallets and that sort of thing.  Will this work ok being a needle feed?  Thanks for your help.  I began my sewing journey in November so I appreciate the good advice and this forum has been an invaluable resource to me.  

Edited by Jackshandmade

its hard to say without looking at it closely.  Well used but no chance to test I'd be hesitant to pay more than $250.  Well used and sews great $400 would be tops for me. Looks new $500.

Thanks Doninreno.  Think this would be a good first cylinder machine to add to my arsenal at a pretty low price?

Sure if the price is right - a few weeks tinkering with it and you'll know how it fits your needs and what you'll want to change.  Just make sure to not overpay and if it just doesn't work out it can be sold for what you have in it.   That model is fairly common and normal wear parts are reasonable.  

Having said that, keep in mind it's a needle feed and not a walking foot - maybe not an issue if what you're sewing feeds ok, but don't expect it to feed like a triple feed machine.  Of course a triple feed walking foot machine is at least another $150.

edit:  I'm not an expert in what you're sewing so I'd listen to those in the know as to if a needle feed is ok or not.  

Edited by DonInReno

This video, by Atlas Levy, demonstrates the capability of the Consew 223 to sew leather. Note that he is using thin thread, like #69.

Thanks Wiz!  I actually watched that earlier this evening.  I would indeed be sewing things like that or possible a couple layers of marine vinyl with some 1/8” foam between.  Seems like it would handle the job well.  Wish it was a walking foot, but the price seems to be inline.  

7 hours ago, Jackshandmade said:

Wish it was a walking foot

You can simply raise the foot as it meets a new layer on top. It will drop down naturally as you leave that layer. The needle feed will offset the natural separation of layers that would otherwise occur. Problem materials can be tacked, taped, stapled, or glued first.

When the time and money is right, buy a walking foot machine and sell this one off.

Honestly if you really want a walking foot - like a singer 153w103 - wait and you'll find one.   I almost bought 10 of those for $80 each - in varying degrees of disrepair - or the seiko version in very good/excellent condition came up for $300....great deals are out there.  Heck if your 223 is a great deal buy it as an investment - tune it up, get the newness of a cylinder machine out of your system, and use it until you can upgrade with another great deal.