zuludog

Goods Japan

I'm thinking of buying a few tools off Goods Japan - Seiwa Stitching Chisel; Kyoshin Elle Master Edger; an awl; and possibly some thread

Are there any dos & don'ts about this? To remind you, I live in Britain 

I live in Britain and I have bought off them twice. Can’t fault their service and when I emailed a query they replied quickly. The first time I had the standard free postage so it took quite a time to arrive.  The second time I paid for quicker postage but had to pay import tax on the parcel so that bumped the price up a bit. I don’t know if it was anything to do with the postage type or if I was just lucky the first time

40 minutes ago, Dunluce said:

I live in Britain and I have bought off them twice. Can’t fault their service and when I emailed a query they replied quickly. The first time I had the standard free postage so it took quite a time to arrive.  The second time I paid for quicker postage but had to pay import tax on the parcel so that bumped the price up a bit. I don’t know if it was anything to do with the postage type or if I was just lucky the first time

Ah yes. I vaguely recall something about import duty from a couple of years ago

I've heard that the trick is to order one item at a time, with about 4 or 5 weeks between orders. That way the item is classed as for personal hobby use

If you order several items as one order that is classed as importing, and you have to pay duty

Since postage is included in the price it won't make any difference to the total, it's just a bit inconvenient for you and the postman. Though I'm willing to be corrected on this

It's dependent on the value of the goods. Less than £15.00 and should be duty free. Some items in general post above this value get through. Some postage services leverage a fee £8.00 for admin on top of any duty payable.

Well, a few days ago I ordered some tools from Goods Japan, all from favourable reviews by Nigel Armitage

'Kyoshin Elle Master Edger Review' - one medium sized edger

Seiwa Pricking Iron Review Part 8 - Seiwa Diamond - 2 prong X 4mm; 4 prong X4mm

I'll see how I get on with these, and if they're OK for both the tools and the business side of things I'll consider getting some more items

Note - Seiwa offer two types of pricking iron - Seiwa Diamond Leather Stitching Chisel, Review Part 8; these had good comments, and were ordered

Seiwa European Leather Stitching Chisel, Pricking Iron Review Part 9, which he did not like. 'I did not favour the European Irons'