royalgh

Singer 18-3

Hello friends, I took Singer 18-3 machine few weeks ago which is not working for many years, stuck in old grease and dirt. After lot of cleaning machine mechanically works very nice, not assembled completely because still cleaning some small parts. Of course some parts are missing which I find on e-bay (shuttle, bobbins, tension take up spring, threadle belt). I have problem with small needle throat plate which is in bad condition and damaged. Is it possible to find somewhere (part No. 6502, screw 665). 

Of course, some good information and advices are welcome, thank you in advance.

DSCN8957.jpg

DSCN8966.jpg

DSCN8998.jpg

DSCN9001.jpg

Hello there,...I was in your shoes a few years ago,bought my Singer 18 for about 40 dollars , not working condition with parts missing.After cleaning,lubing and adjusting it (a lot),now is working fine.After all this I can tell you not to hurry and spend a lot of money for parts.First see what can still be used,then what can be repaired or manufactured by yourself and in the end what you need to buy.And I'm saying this because the nowadays replacement parts are either cheap but poor quality or VERY expensive but good quality.I'll take for example the shuttle hook for the singer 18, on eBay it is for sale for about 18-20 dollars(SE Asia),but on college-sewing.co.uk it can be found as the " TF1=048001252 Hirose shuttle hook made in Japan excellent quality" for 55,40 pounds without VAT and postage.About your  needle throat plate,I'll try to use it first as it is,and if it's not working then try to change it.I'll attach some pictures of my Singer to see what I"ve done,remember it was not working with missing parts.Now as you can see in the  picture it sew through 2.8 mm thick leather using a 90 needle and about 60 or 70 thread,and I think that's not too bad for a 90 years old lady.Take a special care about the spring in the last picture,you'll find it under the arm and it's responsible with the good function of the feed dogs.Good luck!

IMG_20180701_102615.jpg.e83511ddd6a5b9847d416fd55725b667.jpgIMG_20180701_102628.jpg.eda09509370b2d39ac0d36beecfb1eed.jpgIMG_20180701_102642.jpg.c5b11b7c69ad2df55f92e251af5b16da.jpgIMG_20180701_102752.jpg.f0cc916b6b9da353db8efc54540276e6.jpgIMG_20180701_102743.jpg.5ea3ce50a7ac3b4d1031cb58591410d6.jpgIMG_20180701_103228.jpg.8a9c4b2ebd67a0e7f01f4682674fc16c.jpgIMG_20180701_103138.jpg.12ed5814c3eab049144fc17572227ac8.jpgIMG_20180701_102655.jpg.c291236f05c8f401d6931fc3377575ac.jpgIMG_20180701_103738.jpg.3067d0c513664951891d21144ef4d4c1.jpgIMG_20180701_103847.jpg.0f48db96ac9cfd98048a7ca23b3bfb6d.jpg

Thank you Doru for information. I get this machine almost for nothing, so it will be nice to have in my workshop after repairing.Tell me what needles you use, I find in manuals 16x2 system, or 34, and what size can use. I am not sure how this wheel feed works although I have all that parts and spring.

I have another machine that I use the most.A chinese Jack 6380,and this one takes 135x17 (DP x 17)needles,a very common and easy to find system.So I had to adapt the singer to this size too.Very easy to do,just move the needle bar up or down until the hook tip catches the thread loop.This is not a heavy weight machine,so will not sew very thick materials or very thick leather.It was design for shoes industry.I primary use the 90 size of the needle,it works fine with 100 maybe 110 but a higher size will show that is struggling to make the job.About the dog feed wheel...this is a no reverse sewing machine so the whell will always run forward,the maximum distance between the needle's holes will be 5mm.To reach the 5mm you have to play with the screw in the image below.It won't work if it's too tight or too loose.With a little patience you'll get it right.

IMG_20180701_103138AA.jpg.37179a377db9de86c6963bc7fcb5d849.jpg

Edited by Doru

Thank you. I will post some new photos when finish assembling.

Hello guys! I have a Singer 18-3 but like the @royalgh I'm missing some small parts like the tension take-up spring, the spring on the backside of the cylinder where the circular feed dogs are. I found some tension springs but I  don't know if they are compatible with this Singer model. I want to ask you if you know a supplier for this kind of spare parts? I will post some photo to see exactly what parts I'm missing!

Thank you!

Edited by Thehatbutcher13

hello guys i got 2 singer 18-2 and i wnat to know where did you find a complete tension post? did you got the take up spring sepaarte?

i cant find the tension post ? thank you,

pierre

HI I NEED HELP WITH A SINGER 18-3, 

the shuttle has been sanded ,. its smaller and no other shuttle will works, i beleive teh race is in bad shape where can i finn a race for a singer 18-3?,

you can try parts of a Seiko TF-6. They are "clones" of the Singer 18 but I´m not sure if the race is the same on wheel feed machines.

Edited by Constabulary

6 hours ago, Constabulary said:

you can try parts of a Seiko TF-6. They are "clones" of the Singer 18 but I´m not sure if the race is the same on wheel feed machines.

i want explain what my problem is and you guys can help me out maybe.

i am not sure my problem is the race, maybe the hook itself was tied up more.

when i try to set a normal shuttle it does not fit, only a smaller one that was sanded fits, others enter it but get block right away...

now it stitching on top but bottom stitch is terrible, and there is nothing i can do....

not sure what i need to do or to sand or re open the hook more....i m confused...

a normal shuttle will get blocks right away, no room....

i can upload a video on youtube to show it but i think its the hook that has been tied up more, both arms are closer one another now...making it much harder to run a  normal shuttle...

finally the hook arms distance are about the same i ddint measure well.

Edited by pierre2171

i think its fixed now, i just used smaller threads...

the needles has to touch the hook to stitch on this machine...

but any advices or expert about these will be welcome, a friend in Poland helped me out this time...he has some singer 18 listed on ebay.

the machine is in good shape i will post images, 

i got lot of parts but i am looking for a take up lever for singer 18, and a needle bar too in case. ( i got one who after tighting the 2 needle bar screw, there is some play in the needlebar....)

Always hold back the starting threads for about three stitches on these machines. This helps set the tensions and prevent the top thread from jamming in the shuttle.

Consult this needle and thread chart to use the right combination for a given thread size. Larger threads need bigger needles. The shuttle needs to have sideways clearance for larger thread to pass freely and the hook must not hit the needle.

You may be able to tweak the check spring so that thicker thread can be properly tensioned as the machines cycles.

You may have exceeded the machine's thread handling capacity.