superpacker

Setting Stainless Snaps

I've read some mention that a special setter is needed to set stainless snaps. Is that true, or just an attempt to have you buy another snap setting tool? Or can I use the normal Line 20 tool I already have for standard brass/base metal snaps? If not, can a press be used? Thanks!

If you want not only the snaps hold your products firmly, but also the snaps look professionally well-done. Then you might need a special setter people also call them dies or die sets like what I attached. But to apply the die sets, you also a press. You can try this post http://www.dot-gas.com/wordpress/?p=759 if you want to get more idea. :)

press_snap_die_sets.jpg

was wondering if its a sales pitch as well.. Osborne said I needed a social tool to set the stainless grommets (tool is double the price of normal) 

Tandy also specifies a higher grade setter for stainless snaps. If you have a regular set, you can try a couple of snaps and see if it works for you.

SS is harder than brass. Having said that, I am setting SS or brass of the same size on the same set of dies and never felt SS were set any different. They may cause extra wear on the die set, but it usually lasts several 10s of 1000s of snaps at least, so why bother?

On 8/2/2018 at 7:24 PM, Treesner said:

was wondering if its a sales pitch as well.. Osborne said I needed a social tool to set the stainless grommets (tool is double the price of normal) 

good morning,

this is Daniel with C.S. OSBORNE & CO. the reason for this is in the past we sold our regular dies to customer and had complaints about the die wearing out with a few uses. about 2 years ago or so we made a special die for the stainless grommets to withstand d the material. these dies are special made and harden to the right specs. You can use the regular die if needed but it would wear and tear because the stainless steel is stronger then the high grade steel die. any questions please feel free to contact us at: cso@csosborne.com

thank you
Daniel
sales