This is a wide "belt" for a costume I have been working on. The pictures I have carved on it come from a computer game I really enjoy called Darkest Dungeon. The art work in the game is amazing. I sketched the various characters on paper until I was happy with them, and then put them on the leather. It was challenging as there are many shadows that I had to figure out. 

IMG_4782.JPG

The other problem I had was not thinking far enough ahead to figure out how I would transition from one figure to the next. The boat wreck kind of got a bit overworked, but it's one of the bigger scenes I've ever done.

IMG_4819.JPG

When marking this character on the leather I was worried about making the scene too busy again, so I didn't put much background behind it. Then rather than cut the leather for the columns in the back, I just beveled them.

IMG_4815.JPG

IMG_4817.JPG

Looks very good - look forward to seeing the completed project!

Gary

I join the opinion of Gary. Looks very cool. I especially liked the Siren :):)

Blimey, that is a lot of detail! Really beautiful, especially that shipwreck.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:09 PM, garypl said:

Looks very good - look forward to seeing the completed project!

Gary

Thanks! I've finished with the tooling and have started dying it. I'll get some pics on the weekend.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:16 PM, ABHandmade said:

I join the opinion of Gary. Looks very cool. I especially liked the Siren :):)

Ha! Thanks. There is something fishy about the way she turned out. :)

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:32 PM, Prusty said:

Blimey, that is a lot of detail! Really beautiful, especially that shipwreck.

Thanks. It was tricky trying to differentiate between shadows, and make the wood, rocks and sail cloth look distinct from each other. The back wall of the cavern also puzzled me, trying to show perspective. Anyways, I'm glad you like it. Thanks for the comment. 

6 minutes ago, Joseph1836 said:

What's kind of buckle you going to use 

I was thinking about using a double pronged buckle, like a weight lifting belt, but I'm not sure.

Very cool!

You are an artist in both mediums! Looking forward to the finished piece.

9 hours ago, farns005 said:

Very cool!

Thanks!

7 hours ago, plinkercases said:

You are an artist in both mediums! Looking forward to the finished piece.

Ha! Thank you. I'm curious to see it too.

This was a bit chancy. I've dyed the belt with dark brown or "bison" brown eco-flow from Tandy mixed with a little water. This is not normal, I know. I'm making a costume piece that isn't supposed to look new, so I need the colour to look streaky and inconsistent. It took two passes to get it where I wanted it. After it had dried a bit I took a damp cloth and rubbed some of the dye off. Once it was fully dried I covered it with two layers of satin shene and then used a black antique gel mixed with a little black dye. It didn't photograph very well, but I'm fairly happy with it. I just have to sew the backing and belting and probably a couple D rings.

IMG_4821.JPG

Edited by spacedog

I have finished all the sewing and glued the edges together. Then I put black edge dressing along all the edges. When it came to the buckle and strap I couldn't find anything I liked, so I made a simple thinner strap and put holes to tie it with a lace. I should probably say again this is a costume piece that isn't supposed to look new, because I decided to take some 1000 grit sandpaper and rough the colour off. :)

IMG_4836.JPG

IMG_4837.JPG

IMG_4838.JPG

IMG_4839.JPG

I'm honestly just making this as I go. I don't have much experience and don't recommend what I'm doing to anyone. Ha! In fact if anyone has any advice, please feel free to pass it on to me. I am self taught on tooling and dying leather and all of the things I make are the first attempts. I have a lot to learn and the things I see on this site amaze me, for their quality and skill.

Anyways, after sanding the colour off the high points all along the belt, I took some light brown eco-flo and mixed it with tan antique gel and a little water. I used a brush and painted this mixture on in sections before using a lightly damp cloth to wipe it off. I did this the whole length twice. Here are the results at this point I am pretty close to finished. Thanks for following along.

IMG_4840.JPG

IMG_4841.JPG

Joh, joh... Incredible detail! You say you don't have much experience doing stuff like this? Well, you clearly have an abundance of talent to ride on until 'experience' comes along... No need to "fake it until you make it". Congratulations - well done!

Great looking belt! 

On 2018-07-08 at 12:32 PM, Riem said:

Joh, joh... Incredible detail! You say you don't have much experience doing stuff like this? Well, you clearly have an abundance of talent to ride on until 'experience' comes along... No need to "fake it until you make it". Congratulations - well done!

Thanks. I really need to get better at dying and edging. My tooling is coming along, but the finishing stuff is not there yet.

On 2018-07-11 at 2:43 PM, kiwican said:

Great looking belt! 

Thank you.

Here are a couple more pics.

IMG_4846.JPG

IMG_4847.JPG

IMG_4848.JPG

IMG_4853.JPG

Edited by spacedog

Very cool.