SouthAussieBloke

111WSV77 leather sewing machine project yeah

Hello this is the first time on here so please bear with me ....not sure how to use this website yet 

but learning fast i was asked to sell this machine 111WSV77  was mounted in an old kitchen table with bits of wood for a for a foot pedal and it wouldn't stitch at all

a  was extremely out of time with a little you tube research and good old Google was able to service it enough to get sew a decent stitch from my gleanings i have found out that this 

machine is a USA made ....... walking foot leather machine with possible hardened parts 

The problem is i have grown attached to it and want to keep it 

I demolished the table as it had seen much better days there was no foot petal only a slab of wood with door hinges attached 

and lets not even discuss the electrical configuration (worse than night mares ) hence that got lopped and chopped 

it desperately needs a new timing belt that will be interesting fitting that i am sure 

how ever i did manage to sew through 8 layers of 8 oz canvas by hand so am pretty happy with that (see Photos)

80+ years of grim has yet to be cleaned off 

I guess what I am trying to say what would someone pay for a machine like this that was out of time 

needed a new table and new motor and new belt (price???????and were from ??????????) although (old motor still works) and extremely poorly kept any idea guys there is a fellow by the name of

Dikman who from my readings (LEATHERWORK)has this same machine I would like to know how much he paid for his and what condition it was in when he got it 

As I want to pay the current owner a fair price ......SO I CAN HAVE ME SOME FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS the bottom photo is only a toy 132k6 haha i want add to my collection 

and i did score a clutch motor(for 70 dollars ) looks worse than it runs  (whisper quiet)

and if do decide to buy the machine it will get an upgrade and i will make my own table etc anyone welcome to comment cheers Glyndon 
_copie-1_20180703_154448.thumb.jpg.09fbbcf1fd95e15dd83fef7945b8ac45.jpg_copie-1_20180703_155817.thumb.jpg.fd9b35b970b95d54c54128d0b43a2be6.jpg_copie-1_20180703_142816.thumb.jpg.43aa429f474157127d851723ef4e2ac1.jpg_copie-1_20180703_142809.thumb.jpg.d3e1809032e7d46dcf4ad60da4cd85b4.jpg_copie-1_20180606_201345.thumb.jpg.bc7ca46fa639e06cab881cf0138e4806.jpg_copie-1_20180602_180906.thumb.jpg.cb0690c3ee1b8826122435226f4378da.jpg_copie-1_20180606_190454.thumb.jpg.a119171df8b0898ee4d3ca5368ad479e.jpg_copie-1_20180629_093919.thumb.jpg.525967ed80aed46ae1092debcdc08ed7.jpg_copie-0_20180703_142956.thumb.jpg.9669b82f78647997cb4f413085f40b3e.jpg

_copie-1_20180703_153448.jpg

_copie-0_20180703_155817.jpg

If I were you I would get rid of both motors. The old black (Singer?) Motor because it most likely is no longer electrically safe and it has an external clutch. The white clutch motor because it runs at 2800 RPM which is way way way way to fast for leather working or any other application when you are new to sewing machine. Trust me you will not like this motor!

If you want to set up the machines for leather working or upholstery work I would buy a servo motor and add a speed reducer (pulley system for slowing down sewing speed and increase the torque). You will find many many posts on speed reducers + servo motors here in the forum.

https://www.google.com/search?q=servo+speed+reducer+site%3Aleatherworker.net%2Fforum%2F&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab

regarding replacing the timing belt - I was in a similar situation a few years ago - check this thread

yes but i am on a limited budget i have 132k6 which is a huge beast and was able to reduce the speed(clutch motor 2850 RPM) by using a 40mm pulley and works well for me

so thinking i will do the same or smaller pulley on the 111W

_copie-0_20180703_181043.jpg

Edited by SouthAussieBloke

thanks for that

Let's see...Singer 111w15something old factory head with normal hard factory wear and possibility of being completely worn out...needs parts/dirty/not sewing...on the low end these go for about $150US somewhat regularly (add $100 for shipping) and in the cleaned up condition able to stitch they go for about $300-$400US plus shipping from individuals who may or may not know how to pack/ship properly so total price for many people is closer to $400-$500US.  From a reputable dealer who has tuned and replaced small parts (and has a higher probability of proper packing/shipping) the price can be at least a couple hundred more.

edit:  The real value depends on it's condition under the surface rust - if it's exceptionally tight with good quality hook and tension assembly with very little thread grooving it's worth two or three times what a worn out machine is - there's no way to tell without being there in person.  It might be so worn out it's not worth anything.

Edited by DonInReno

G'day mate, I paid $150 for mine (that's probably what you really want to know), bought it somewhere out Elizabeth way from memory). It was on a homemade table and powered by an ordinary 1/4 hp motor with a separate clutch/pulley arrangement, same idea as yours but a different design. I scrapped the table, used the motor to mount a burnisher on and pulled the pulley arrangement apart to re-use the pulleys (drove it with a servo motor). The timing belt on mine looks to be in better condition than yours. For $150 I figure it's a pretty good machine, although I don't use it now as I've just swapped it out for my 51W59 and modified the table to get this one working - I have three working tables and figured one flat bed was enough (the Seiko) and as the Pfaff 335 is also working I thought it made sense to have the post bed available if needed. I should sell the SV77, but I can't quite bring myself to do it!

The SV77 appears to be almost identical to the 111W153 so parts should be interchangeable. I've compared parts in mine to the parts list for the 153 and other than different part numbers they look the same as far as I can tell. Like most old Singers these things are built like tanks!

The additional label on yours is interesting, as mine has one with 55-1-329 on it, which indicates they were most likely owned by the same company which put their own tracking info on when they bought them. My gut feeling is they came from GMH, as in it's day their Elizabeth car manufacturing plant was huge and they did everything themselves, including upholstery. They would have been large enough to warrant individual identification on their machines. An educated guess would be 55=year of purchase, 1=month and 329 = the number of the machine? Probably never really know for sure now.

If you intend using that clutch motor then you might be able to utilise that clutch/pulley you've got to reduce the speed. Check that it spins ok (might need greasing inside) and see if you can lock (bolt?) the pulley with the clutch facing to the pulley stack so it acts as a speed reducer, coupled with a small (45mm) pulley on the motor it should slow it down a little.

I guess if yours needed a lot of work, plus a new timing belt, you could factor that into a suitable price.

G'day, Dikman  how are you hope all is well in your house hold 

Just a quick question, you mentioned in 2018 that you maybe interested in selling your 111WSV77, is it still for sale 

do you still have it? I am toying with the idea of purchasing it from you as a back up for parts, I have mine purring along, and I love it 

I purchased an old  industrial sewing machine table  for $50 and swapped out the head , and  a slow motor and reduced my pulley in size , it works well for canvas:) 

I have replaced all my worn parts and it sews beautifully now/ like new ,spent about  200 on parts and shipping etc 

I am not up for buying it right now, but still curious as to whether you still have yours, and how much it would cost for you to part with it lol

My wife thinks not at this stage but if the opportunity arose, then it is hoped I can sway her  hopefully lol 

I may them consider doing a complete refurbishment paint rebuild  on one of the machines, If I had both machines 

I am getting much better now, servicing old machines 

In 2018 I didn't know what I started lol

I have since served a 144W304 extra  long arm  monster from the 1950's 

And in the process of servicing a 31-19 from the early 1920's too 

Cheers Glyndon 

111WSV77.jpg

Hi Glyndon, sorry mate it's long gone. I realised I was accumulating too many machines so decided to stop looking and rationalise things. I've kept the ones that I'll actually use - flatbed, postbed, edge binder and, of course, the harness stitcher (should cover anything I'm likely to do).

Glad you got it working, they're a good solid machine, and I admire you for being able to use the clutch motor, that was something that had me beat.:blink:

Thanks for getting back to me,

bummer oh well It's sort of my fault for not pursuing it earlier, however I ready didn't realise, how useful that machine would be to me at the time,

Or if  I would be able to source parts for it

I end up using 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://collierequipment.com/&ved=2ahUKEwicucHm3Mn4AhU_-TgGHV7oCPUQFnoECAUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2lGv9mY57CnDoExAJ9Nn4H

This is a huge Company

for a lot of my machine parts 

They sell Antique as well as New 

( they buy out factory's of old sewing machines) (Company's has been  liquidated)

And also into Full Automation Industrial Machines too 

Last purchase was  last week they purchased  3-400 machines) 

they service and  then on-sell them all 

All makes and Models too 

Paid a premium in postage though, but they had all I needed and more 

Seeing as the Machine was Manufactured in the USA, 

It seems sense to getting parts from there, If it's not available in Australia 

Thanks anyway Glyndon