BDAZ

Print your own self bonding linings

This is a further on to my thread on glueless linings. Using HeatnBond I am able to bond any lining material to Veg tanned leather. Using the lamination process I have tested and now use fabric instead of dyeing or suede lining some of my products. Quicker, cheaper and less messy and predictable.

I thought it might be nice to find a fabric with some Book of Kells printing on it from some of my Celtic items, but nothing available that would work. I thought I would see if I could print my own. 

Turned out to be a piece of cake. I cut an 8 1/2  x 11 piece of white duck fabric, tacked a slightly small piece  of HeatnBond to the fabric, trimmed to the HeatnBond and then printed the fabric in my Canon ink jet printer. Once dry, I sprayed the image with a Krylon glossy artists fixative and then removed the release paper and bonded the fabric to my leather blank, 30 seconds at 250F.

I then built the item for testing. I used scrap offcuts leather which was a bit spongy, and also tested stitching closer to the edge than normal. Because the leather was a bit spongy, the stitching is a bit uneven this close to the edge with a standard presser foot.

I then oiled the case and applied  Resolene to both the leather and lining and finished the edges.

The printing seems to be stable and should hold up well under use.

Off the shelf ink jet fabric is also available which is coated for printing and produces more vibrant color. This is a lot cheaper! 

BobKells-Test.thumb.jpg.0b1cd329c2e11d4124e8acf0d722a62c.jpg

Edited by BDAZ

Very interesting, it looks great.

For some fabric options (different materials and weights), you might want to check out Jacquard Inkjet Fabric Systems who carries a variety of fabrics for digital printing:  http://www.inkjetfabrics.com/products/digital-fabrics/.

As you said, not cheaper, but when lining something like a bag that you hope to sell for top dollar, the lining material can make a difference.

This is brilliant, looks like a great way to make lining with any design you can print. Thanks for sharing.

I already tested their canvas and it made the leather too stiff, though looked great and I will use it for projects that will not flex. I have some off the shelf poplin I am testing as I write (just waiting for the press to heat up) which seems as good, color wise, after adjusting printer settings and upping saturation.I do have some Ink Jet poplin on order as well and will compare with the $5 a yard stuff, but since it's tacked to the heatNBond, no need for any other carrier. This test I will be treating the fabric with resolene only as a fixative.

56 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

Very interesting, it looks great.

For some fabric options (different materials and weights), you might want to check out Jacquard Inkjet Fabric Systems who carries a variety of fabrics for digital printing:  http://www.inkjetfabrics.com/products/digital-fabrics/.

As you said, not cheaper, but when lining something like a bag that you hope to sell for top dollar, the lining material can make a difference.

Talking of leather becoming too stiff, I have been asked my half some time ago to make a bag in specific color and could only source chrome tanned leather.

Since chrome tan is rather tin and soft, could this be used as a stiffener, to add some rigidness to otherwise floppy leather?

Edited by LetterT

27 minutes ago, LetterT said:

Talking of leather becoming too stiff, I have been asked my half some tome ago to make a bag in specific color and could only source chrome tanned leather.

Since chrome tan is rather tin and soft, could this be used as a stiffener, to add some rigidness to otherwise floppy leather?

Absolutely. This is what I used initially:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027A5J9S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It should bend at say 45 degree angles but a fold is an issue.

This is arriving today:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YZ8RVA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My test with standard cotton poplin tacked to HeatnBond was a success and looks almost as good as the canvas. I have used a few coats of clear fixative on it and will be building a case incorporating the lining this afternoon.

Bob

I have a side by side test of off the shelf cotton and the Tailor color fast color sheets as above. There is no doubt that the saturation and clarity of the print is superior and IMHO, worth the extra cost. The partially completed case uses standard cotton with a few light sprays of fixative. The sample on the right is untreated. They claim color fastness by ironing to set the color into the coating. Since I use a heat press for 30 seconds this should help keep the colors fast.

I think this is the answer. The treated fabric can be purchased in rolls.

I have not yet tested for flexibility when bonded to the flesh side. The test sample on the left is fine.

Bob

Cotton-Inkjet-Test.thumb.jpg.7bbd396b96953c5b49881a0a75bc6433.jpg

Edited by BDAZ

That's fantastic.  Can you post pics of your equipment and some of the blank products?

5 hours ago, immiketoo said:

That's fantastic.  Can you post pics of your equipment and some of the blank products?

Not sure what you need. My press is a standard t-shirt press:

71ijpIQgbKL._SL1500_.jpg

Heatn Bond:

71wcx4HC96L._SL1500_.jpg

51TV-Eh2DWL.jpg

All the above purchased from Amazon.

Not sure what you mean by "blank Products"?

Bob

Thank you.  That is exactly what I meant.  Blank just meant the fabric.  Ive never heard of these before.

That's great, Bob! When I had the fail with the lightweight Heat n'Bond refusing to bond to the leather lining, I looked at the leather coated with it, and thought, "Gee, that definitely looks a lot better with the Heat n'Bond coating it than it did when it was bare and fuzzy!" Never thought of using it with just a fabric liner, though!

Still trying to find a Wal Mart that has the Ultra Heat n'Bond in stock...so far, no luck!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

15 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

That's great, Bob! When I had the fail with the lightweight Heat n'Bond refusing to bond to the leather lining, I looked at the leather coated with it, and thought, "Gee, that definitely looks a lot better with the Heat n'Bond coating it than it did when it was bare and fuzzy!" Never thought of using it with just a fabric liner, though!

Still trying to find a Wal Mart that has the Ultra Heat n'Bond in stock...so far, no luck!

HeatNBond is available at ANY hobby or sewing shop and Amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/Thermoweb-3505-17-Inch-5-Yard-Adhesive/dp/B000XAMYXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530900224&sr=8-1&keywords=heatnbond&dpID=31iu2ArgX8L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Bob

I know, but both the Wal Marts I've visited so far are SOLD OUT!!  :( And since it's a U.S. product, would rather buy locally to avoid shipping and duty. if all else fails, will make the 35 minute drive to the nearest Michael's craft store in Barrie.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

23 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

I know, but both the Wal Marts I've visited so far are SOLD OUT!!  :( And since it's a U.S. product, would rather buy locally to avoid shipping and duty. if all else fails, will make the 35 minute drive to the nearest Michael's craft store in Barrie.

The link above is for Amazon Canada

Crazy ideas... I love 'em! Nice and thanks for the heads up on this!

That is crazy cool @BDAZ, thanks for sharing it.