Jon P

Randall/Campbell- thread breaking

Hey Guys and Gals!

I recently acquired a Randall lock stitch machine. After setting it up, I started running test pieces. It would sew a few inches, and the thread would break. I would rethread it and go again. Now, it will run a few inches, thread will break, and bend the needle out towards me. 

In the picture, I’ve put an arrow to where the thread is breaking. It’s after the second brake. 

What can I do to fix this issue?

CB1D7BD3-4FB1-4B96-9D3B-90451E5CD577.jpeg

Did you try adjusting takeup?  It's been a few years since I've sewed on a Randall, so it's not fresh in my mind.  I have one sitting in my garage that I just picked up a couple months ago that I will try to get sewing when I have some free time later in the year.  What do the stitches look like before the thread breaks?  Do you have a manual?

I do not have a manual. I’m completely new to the sewing machine scene. So with that being said, how would I adjust the takeup?

The stitches look really great before the thread breaks and the needle bends outwards. 

This sudden tightening of the top thread can be caused if the thread is wrapping under other windings on the spool, or is falling under the spool, or twisting around a thread guide on the thread stand.

Clean all of the guides along the thread path. There may be old hardened wax from the previous owner. These machines were meant to use liquid beeswax in a pot and linen thread.

Ok. I cleaned the thread path. I’m using thread lub by Fiebing’s in the wax pot. It is sewing better now. Just got to get the guides by the brakes set correctly. Thread wants to come outside of one. 

You can buy the correct thread from Campbell-Randall, in Texas. It is Barbour's Irish Linen, left twist thread. They make and sell "Lax Wax" for use in their machines. Linen thread is available in 3 through 7 cords. You must use the right combination of needle and awl whenever you change thread sizes. If you try to sew with 6 cord and the barbed needle is designed for 4 cord, the thread will get ratted by the barb. The awl must be between 1/2 and 1 size larger than the needle.

I have the manual digitally if you want to Private Message me with your email address, I'll send you a PDF copy (it's 74mb so I'd have to share it via my google drive)

Here's the exert on thread breaking in the troubleshooting area of the manual:

troubleshooting.jpg

stuff.jpg

Edited by mogwild

On 7/6/2018 at 9:22 PM, Jon P said:

Hey Guys and Gals!

I recently acquired a Randall lock stitch machine. After setting it up, I started running test pieces. It would sew a few inches, and the thread would break.

Jon,

I am coming into this a bit late.  Glad things are improving for you - no surprise as the people in this group are amazingly helpful and have incredible and broad knowledge.  

I will add my two cents worth (and that may be all it is worth).  I look at the photo and think along the lines of -
"If I had just bought that machine off ebay (or elsewhere), the first thing I would do, even before testing it out, would be to clean it up completely.  Having a patina in the surface suits the cosmetic preferences of some (me included in certain circumstances) but having it on the mechanical working parts will have a negative effect on function.

After all, we buy these machines to use them so their function needs to come first.  So get all the working parts shining so close to new as possible.  Oil all moving parts - just a little, don't flood the machine.  Then test it out."    That's exactly what we do with any of the machines we have bought.

Take grateful advantage of offers of pdf manuals - there are plenty available for most machines.

And continue to do what you did here - ask questions. 

Trevor