Garathan

Westren Diamondback rattlesnake skin for inlays

Just letting everyone know if you are looking for wholesale prices on western diamondback rattlesnake skins there is a wholesale dealer out of Texas. email garathan2002@yahoo.com to get prices on what you need.

The method I use to tan is to soak the hides in my formula for 7 days and then stretch them out to dry. What sizes hides should I take pictures of I have any where from 24 inch  to 64 inch hides. 

I would be interested in any length.  I have a few products that I use diamondback for and I don't currently have a steady supply.

4 hours ago, nstarleather said:

Hey man, just some solid advice, if you're trying to sell on this forum:

• Just be up-front with the post:  Saying "there is a company" when you're talking about yourself looks sketchy to most of us.  Just say "I am selling rattlesnake skins, this is my company name."
  • Be detailed and post pictures and prices: "Here are some of the skins I sell"  "This is my pricing" 
  • Details about your process are great.  There are lots of ways to tan snake, some better than others.  Some people do the salt, then glycerin and Alcohol.  Other  people use an actual tanning solution.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with you posting about you your company or what you do, but if you expect to generate interest, the above steps will go a long way. 

Thank you for the advice.

Here are a few pictures of the skins. I have but a smaller skin and a closer view of one of the bigger skins. I have more pictures but the site keeps saying I'm over the limit. I do have skins with the rattles and without up to the buyer if they need the rattle or not. on tanned hides 39"-43" is 33.50/ 44"-48" is 48.50/ 48"-52" is 55.50. I also have frozen hides that go for a 1.00 an inch 39"-48" above that the bigger snakes from 50" up is 2.00 an inch. 

IMG_20180711_094004.jpg

IMG_20180711_093858.jpg

Edited by Garathan
left info off

3 hours ago, nstarleather said:

Your skins look nice and pricing seems decent.  I don't need skins at the moment but I wish you the best.  I was mainly giving input to help you on this forum.

I appreciate all the help I can get since I'm new to this forum. 

I am in Texas.  Where are you located in Texas? My main use for Diamond Back is for inlays for knife sheaths and I find the smaller skins best because all or most of the diamonds will show in the inlay window.  Do you have skins under the 39" you mentioned.  I'd even be interested in "baby" skins say 20" to 24".  I have not had good luck with Glycerin tanned skins. The very few I've tried to work with were damp feeling even though they were dry and "rubbery" and fragile, would tear or disintegrate easily.  I would be interested in a sample to check the tanning results and I am happy to pay for it.  My contact and address is below.

Edited by sheathmaker

I'm not trying to criticize by any means but from experience snake skins that are processed using  glycerin and alcohol don't work very well. They are next to impossible to bond a piece of leather and many times there are issues with the scales flaking off. 

Alcohol and glycerin do not "tan" a snake skin, they are a method of preserving the skin. There are a couple of taxidermy suppliers on line that have a kit for actually tanning the skins. I don't recall the names but a google search will find them for you. 

2 hours ago, Ed in Tx said:

I'm not trying to criticize by any means but from experience snake skins that are processed using  glycerin and alcohol don't work very well. They are next to impossible to bond a piece of leather and many times there are issues with the scales flaking off. 

Alcohol and glycerin do not "tan" a snake skin, they are a method of preserving the skin. There are a couple of taxidermy suppliers on line that have a kit for actually tanning the skins. I don't recall the names but a google search will find them for you. 

This are done a little different and I make wallets, hat bands, leather vest with inlays, have done knifes in the past and I have not had a problem. As far as the scales flaking off with the end process no scales will flake off when we send the skins I will brush before hand so there should be no trouble. If anyone orders hides from me I will help if you have any questions or problems. 

You can preserve a snake skin with glycerin and alcohol and turn out a really nice durable product, first thing the outer layer of skin is gonna lift and you have to rub all the dead scales off ,second you gotta watch what kind of glue you use and how you use it , third if your trying to sell tanned skins good luck with making anyone happy with your tan because they have ZERO experience working with YOUR tan and cannot  or do not tan themselves. I’ve been wearing a leather jacket with one of my skins across the back for over a year and it looks just like it did the day I straightedged it. If you have access to several snakes I’d be interested in talking about buying them untanned.

119ED857-A4F6-4244-B237-934F359ADA69.png

On 2/26/2019 at 7:43 AM, Snakes said:

Garathan , where are you located?

Do you have any Copperhead skins?