Railrider1920

Sponge for casing leather

Every video I've seen or even pics,  when people were wetting their leather,  they were using a natural looking sponge. Is there a reason for that? Can I use a new kitchen sponge, the kind with a scrubbing thing on it?

51 minutes ago, Railrider1920 said:

Every video I've seen or even pics,  when people were wetting their leather,  they were using a natural looking sponge. Is there a reason for that? Can I use a new kitchen sponge, the kind with a scrubbing thing on it?

I bought a cheap sponge at the dollar store.  Cut it into smaller pieces (@2 x 2”) and it works just fine.

Gary

I would recommend against using a sponge, at least for re-wettin leather in the middle of a project.  Initially its fine, but when adding moisture, a sponge has the tendency to allow too much into the cuts and then causes those cuts to open up and show the core.  I recommend getting a spray bottle for adding water to leather.

I'm contrary to you mike. I always use a sponge for the reasons you advise using a spray bottle. With a sponge I can control how much moisture to put on and just where. Its all in how you use it; a sopping wet sponge is not good, a damp sponge wiped over the working area delivers just the right amount of moisture

I use sponges bought in a discount store, 10 for £1 or so. They are about 3 inches by 4 inches by 3/4 inch thick. I use them for applying dye and top finish as well.

I use a cosmetic finely-porous sponge instead of a kitchen sponge. It better retains water and allows more accurate dosage of the amount of water applied.

Edited by ABHandmade

2 hours ago, fredk said:

I'm contrary to you mike. I always use a sponge for the reasons you advise using a spray bottle. With a sponge I can control how much moisture to put on and just where. Its all in how you use it; a sopping wet sponge is not good, a damp sponge wiped over the working area delivers just the right amount of moisture

I use sponges bought in a discount store, 10 for £1 or so. They are about 3 inches by 4 inches by 3/4 inch thick. I use them for applying dye and top finish as well.

1 hour ago, ABHandmade said:

I use a cosmetic finely-porous sponge instead of a kitchen sponge. It better retains water and allows more accurate dosage of the amount of water applied.

That's ok.  You guys can use whatever works for you.  Having terrible luck with the sponge technique, Peter Main suggested I try a fine mist sprayer.  I can control moisture far better with a bottle.  Since then, I  haven't had any issues with too much moisture.  I agree with you about the sopping wet sponge, though.  Most people don't realize that too much water causes a ton of problems. 

27 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

That's ok.  You guys can use whatever works for you.  Having terrible luck with the sponge technique, Peter Main suggested I try a fine mist sprayer.  I can control moisture far better with a bottle.  Since then, I  haven't had any issues with too much moisture.  I agree with you about the sopping wet sponge, though.  Most people don't realize that too much water causes a ton of problems. 

One not denies second. In some cases I use a sponge, in some (thanks to one of your videos) - a sprayer. This is not a matter of religion, but solely of expediency :)