machinehead

People who have inspired you in your leatherwork.

In another topic here on the forum about a Push knife, member Mattsbagger attributes a video by noted holster maker Sam Andrews for getting him started into leather working. Even those of us who claim to be self taught have received inspiration in the craft from others. Many members here are very generous in sharing their knowledge and encouragement.

How many people have inspired you along the way as you work to make each project better than the last?

Whether through personal mentoring, books, videos, conversations  here on the forum, or whatever --- name some names. Living or deceased, who has contributed to your skill and knowledge?

11 hours ago, machinehead said:

In another topic here on the forum about a Push knife, member Mattsbagger attributes a video by noted holster maker Sam Andrews for getting him started into leather working. Even those of us who claim to be self taught have received inspiration in the craft from others. Many members here are very generous in sharing their knowledge and encouragement.

How many people have inspired you along the way as you work to make each project better than the last?

Whether through personal mentoring, books, videos, conversations  here on the forum, or whatever --- name some names. Living or deceased, who has contributed to your skill and knowledge?

I for one can say that this forum and all of the members here both active and no longer active have contributed to my success and some failures (because of my interpretation or lack thereof lol!!) So to list all of the names would be kind of difficult!  Starting from the mass-produced cheap leather goods I have seen, all the way through to having seen breathtaking work has inspired me in one way or another. As far as the claim of being self-taught  I am guilty of  that claim  in that  I have never sat down  for any type of formal training with anyone, I initially started with the intent of making a custom motorcycle seat for my FLH which you see as my avatar. This led me to where I'm at currently, making my own tools and making custom pieces. No I do not have a huge following nor do I prefer one, but I am thankful to all here from the beginner all the way through to the most experienced!

27 minutes ago, Sanch said:

I for one can say that this forum and all of the members here both active and no longer active have contributed to my success and some failures (because of my interpretation or lack thereof lol!!) So to list all of the names would be kind of difficult!

I second this. Thank you for a well reasoned response. I have seen some of your posts on the tools that you make and just want to say excellent work.

1 hour ago, machinehead said:

I second this. Thank you for a well reasoned response. I have seen some of your posts on the tools that you make and just want to say excellent work.

Thanks!

Ian Atkinson and Nigel Armitage for sure. Their work on youtube has been indispensable. The first person was a forum member from a different forum that actually inspired me to try leatherworking though. Damn near everyone on this forum provides inspiration at a minimum and pulling from everyone's experiences both good and otherwise helps me out every project almost.

10 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

Ian Atkinson and Nigel Armitage for sure. Their work on youtube has been indispensable. The first person was a forum member from a different forum that actually inspired me to try leatherworking though. Damn near everyone on this forum provides inspiration at a minimum and pulling from everyone's experiences both good and otherwise helps me out every project almost.

Ian and Nigel are gifted teachers for sure and certain. Their Youtube videos are a treasure trove of experience and knowledge. Nigel is a member here; but I can't recall if Ian is or not.

Thank You for the input.

I agree with everything @Sanch said. Even the most novice person's here have brought unique ideas to the table. One person that I take inspiration from who isn't on here is Don Gonzales. He owns DG Saddlery down near College Station. I highly suggest his YouTube channel. That guy just grabs and works that leather like it is just a piece of cardboard. He just has a confidence with it that astounds me. Every time I pick up a piece I'm terrified of messing it up. Don just grabs it, and gets after it. He's a lot of fun to watch.

Thanks to everyone here who helped me along.

3 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

I agree with everything @Sanch said. Even the most novice person's here have brought unique ideas to the table. One person that I take inspiration from who isn't on here is Don Gonzales. He owns DG Saddlery down near College Station. I highly suggest his YouTube channel. That guy just grabs and works that leather like it is just a piece of cardboard. He just has a confidence with it that astounds me. Every time I pick up a piece I'm terrified of messing it up. Don just grabs it, and gets after it. He's a lot of fun to watch.

Thanks to everyone here who helped me along.

Don Gonzales is another great one. He has this unassuming down home demeanor when he shows his techniques that makes it easy to understand.

Just a quick note to you mutt.... I have seen time and time again how you encourage others on this forum. I would just like to encourage you to keep it up.

8 hours ago, machinehead said:

Don Gonzales is another great one. He has this unassuming down home demeanor when he shows his techniques that makes it easy to understand.

Just a quick note to you mutt.... I have seen time and time again how you encourage others on this forum. I would just like to encourage you to keep it up.

Awww shucks... .:wub:

Great question1

Everyone here.  You all have shown me what can be achieved with leather-things I would never have thought of or thought possible in some cases.  There's also another guy.  Cecheflo (sp?) on Youtube.  He does mostly automotive upholstery type work including things like covering steering wheels and gear shift knobs.  I've found his videos very helpful in my work at putting leather on cane handles.

Agreed - everyone here is  a wealth of information.  I'm interested in  making horse harness so I would have to say Dorantes and Freedman Harness have inspired me to take it up.

I totally agree, this is an excellent question.

I was initially inspired by a school teacher about 42 years ago, but more recently I have been inspired to stitch like @bikermutt07, carve like @immiketoo, stamp like @YinTx, work on sewing machines like @Uwe and @Constabulary, learn about leather like @JLSleather and many more besides.

My inspiration and motivation changes with each different project I see and/or wish to tackle.

I've visited a lot of online forums over the years...this one, hands down, is the most helpful in terms of having an overall community of craftsfolk willing to encourage and contribute to each other's professional growth. I agree about the above mentions and accolades.

@Dwight is one of the most faithful contributors, especially on the gun leather forum...going out of his way to lend a hand to his fellow crafter...like JLS, freely offering his own patterns and proffering advice...always helpful, sir!

I would add that I have, in my time here, went back and read pretty much every single post by Ray Cory @Lobo...the evolution of his holster business from kitchen table thru full time production until he sold it in late 2016 provides much to learn and he was always willing to share his knowledge. For those looking to move toward production type work, (gun leather-related or not), Lobo's insights into how he set up his workflow, how he valued time and materials, consideration of new tooling vs. return on investment, etc are worth your time to consider reading.

Lots of other inspiring talent on here as well @Josh Ashman @IngleGunLeather @particle (Adams Leather Works) @katsass (read his posts, too) @nstarleather (love those bags!)

One maker not one here but a working machine and business success story is Odin Clack of Odin Leather Goods...phenomenal work ethic that has translated into a serious up-and-coming leather brand.

I like to find successfully skilled folks who are doing the kinds of things that I want to do...maybe not every single thing that I'm planning to do...but individual pieces from each one and study them.

Like many others, I have a hard time staying away from LW.net..it's chock-ful of the aforementioned people.

Edited by Double Daddy

Rockoboy, one of the earliest people to inspire me was a lady from Fremantle who I communicated with through the mail long before this internet thing. I had the pleasure of meeting her and her husband when they  visited the States. The greatest benefit of this forum IMHO  is that it brings our collective knowledge, aspirations, and inspiration together in one place in almost real time.

I especially enjoy your profile entry of " repurposing somebody's junk". That should serve you well.

26 minutes ago, machinehead said:

The greatest benefit of this forum IMHO  is that it brings our collective knowledge, aspirations, and inspiration together in one place in almost real time.

Very well said @machinehead. I concur.

Not sure how I missed this thread, but thanks for the mention @Rockoboy!  There are so many people that have inspired me over the years, its difficult to mention them all, but I find inspiration in unusual places.  Some of my main mentors have been Bob Beard, Peter Main and Serge Volken, but early on, guys like TwinOaks, Katsass and JLS were inspiring.  Heck, those guys are still inspiring if for different reasons than when I originally started.  One thing I find continuous inspiration from is noobs who have the fire and the same insatiable thirst for knowledge that I have.  Especially those who take what they learn and do something with it right away.  It's good to see someone get it and move forward.  So, to all of you, keep it up!

Lots of the folks mentioned above and Mr Wayne Ringham- local guy who let me visit and ask questions and took the time because he loves what he does. Right after I saw him last I got a promotion at my paying job and haven't made it back to see him. I need to, I've learned a lot since then. Thank you to all of you here as well.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:43 PM, Double Daddy said:

I've visited a lot of online forums over the years...this one, hands down, is the most helpful in terms of having an overall community of craftsfolk willing to encourage and contribute to each other's professional growth. I agree about the above mentions and accolades.

@Dwight is one of the most faithful contributors, especially on the gun leather forum...going out of his way to lend a hand to his fellow crafter...like JLS, freely offering his own patterns and proffering advice...always helpful, sir!

I would add that I have, in my time here, went back and read pretty much every single post by Ray Cory @Lobo...the evolution of his holster business from kitchen table thru full time production until he sold it in late 2016 provides much to learn and he was always willing to share his knowledge. For those looking to move toward production type work, (gun leather-related or not), Lobo's insights into how he set up his workflow, how he valued time and materials, consideration of new tooling vs. return on investment, etc are worth your time to consider reading.

Lots of other inspiring talent on here as well @Josh Ashman @IngleGunLeather @particle (Adams Leather Works) @katsass (read his posts, too) @nstarleather (love those bags!)

One maker not one here but a working machine and business success story is Odin Clack of Odin Leather Goods...phenomenal work ethic that has translated into a serious up-and-coming leather brand.

I like to find successfully skilled folks who are doing the kinds of things that I want to do...maybe not every single thing that I'm planning to do...but individual pieces from each one and study them.

Like many others, I have a hard time staying away from LW.net..it's chock-ful of the aforementioned people.

Thank you, Double Daddy. When I first started in holster making (1972) there was no internet, no Leatherworker.net. A couple of books were found in the public library, and a few others were available from suppliers, but other than those aids I always had to figure things out for myself. Two kids to feed and a mortgage to pay, so there was never much available for equipment or tools, and I learned to adapt what I could find (knives, shears, arbor press, woodworking tools, etc). I hand-stitched everything for many years, usually requiring over an hour per piece to punch all the holes and pulling harness needles until my hands and arms ached. OK for one or two pieces per week, but that is the sort of work that will cripple a person eventually. By 2006 I started expanding via internet marketing, trying to sell 5 or 6 per week to help keep the bills paid (my other business ventures were suffering from the downturn of the economy, and I still really viewed the leather business as nothing more than a sideline). I was shocked when demand for my products quickly resulted in a full-time business; actually I was scared that I would find myself with more orders than I could produce. Had to go through another big learning curve, managing orders within production capacity, adapting streamlined production methods and work flow, hiring and training help. After nearly 10 years of 12-14 hour days, 7 days per week, I was just plain worn out. In my mid-60's with no debt and a very healthy investment portfolio, I decided to call it quits. Stopped taking orders, finished production of all pending orders, ready to shut down when along came a good family with experience in business as well as strong leathercraft experience, worked out a sale of the business. They continue to do very well, and I remain a consultant assisting with design and production issues.

So now I can live the life of a retired millionaire, chasing redfish along the Texas gulf coast, fishing for northern pike in the northern Minnesota lakes, trout fishing here in Colorado, hunting pheasants and grouse, spending my afternoons at my club playing poker and drinking adult beverages. I still stop in here at Leatherworker.net once in a while, and I can occasionally help with answers to questions or advice on production and business issues. Several members here have found that I respond to PM's (although it might be a week or so before I get around to it).

Best regards.

The thing that really kicked it off for me were the tutorials by Shane Whitlock.  They really filled in some gaps I could not figure out.  I've learned a ton on here from a lot of folks.  And the person that put me on the specific path I've chosen to follow with my holsters was several online conversations with Red Nichols.  He turned me on to flat back holsters.  And I spent hours looking at pics of Brigade Gun Leather's stuff.  

On the opposite side of things, I've learned a ton from looking at rather poor attempts at holster making too.  

On 7/18/2018 at 2:11 PM, Rockoboy said:

I totally agree, this is an excellent question.

I was initially inspired by a school teacher about 42 years ago, but more recently I have been inspired to stitch like @bikermutt07, carve like @immiketoo, stamp like @YinTx, work on sewing machines like @Uwe and @Constabulary, learn about leather like @JLSleather and many more besides.

My inspiration and motivation changes with each different project I see and/or wish to tackle.

That’s mighty kind of you, but you can find much better stitchers to aspire too. I’m not that good. 

On July 29, 2018 at 12:40 AM, bikermutt07 said:

That’s mighty kind of you, but you can find much better stitchers to aspire too. I’m not that good. 

That's how I feel most of the time, but its good to inspire and to be inspired.  I have people I used to think I'll never reach that level and now I know I can work at that level.  What I find incredibly inspiring is helping folks improve to the point where I think I need to step it up again so I can keep up.  I have a couple of people that I have been helping the last few years that have really come into their own.  

9 hours ago, immiketoo said:

That's how I feel most of the time, but its good to inspire and to be inspired.  I have people I used to think I'll never reach that level and now I know I can work at that level.  What I find incredibly inspiring is helping folks improve to the point where I think I need to step it up again so I can keep up.  I have a couple of people that I have been helping the last few years that have really come into their own.  

You're right, I should just humbly accept the praise. Your work always perks me up.