Guest kat

About split rings

Guest kat

Hello,

I want to know more about brass split rings. Like what are the pros and cons compared to standard steel split rings.

Why are they so expensive? And are the ones from China that are sold on ebay any good? 

thanks

a/  in wet or damp environments brass wont corrode, the steel ones will and stain the leather. Wet and damp environments in which leather goods are used are such as fishing equipment, fire fighting equipment, camping equipment

b/ currently brass is expensive on the world metals market. It is so expensive that its worth salvagers' time and effort to retrieve brass off sunken ships

c/ yes they are. In Europe most of the leather-work hardware sold in local outlets is actually made in China, imported and sold at a great mark-up in price. Save the money, buy direct, if you can wait 7 days to 35 days for delivery

Guest kat

What about stainless steel? They are still much cheaper than brass, and they are not supposed to corrode

On 7/9/2018 at 12:24 AM, Guest kat said:

What about stainless steel? They are still much cheaper than brass, and they are not supposed to corrode

All metals will corrode, even stainless steel, in certain conditions. I would go with brass but I also recommend doing your own research. Use both and put them through the same conditions and observe the results.