rahuu

Has anybody tried Johnleather’s cheap edgers?

I’m wondering if anybody has tried out the edge bevelers made by Johnleather in China. The price is ridiculously low at about $10 per edger. They look good but I’m concerned about the steel they use. They make them in 316L stainless, which is a low carbon steel. If you’ve tried them out, how good of an edge can you  get , and how long does it hold? I love the narrow profile but my wallet doesn’t want to let go of $60+ for a brand that I know will be high quality. Should I pass these up and save for a better brand?

Here’s a link to their eBay:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283039884275

Hi,

I never tried them out, but in my opion stainless steel will not hold a sharp edge to make a clean  cut. I mostly make them myself of springsteel which I heat treath when I have the right size.

5 hours ago, bemavu said:

Hi,

I never tried them out, but in my opion stainless steel will not hold a sharp edge to make a clean  cut. I mostly make them myself of springsteel which I heat treath when I have the right size.

Yeah, that's my experience with stainless as well. Thanks.

Jeremiah Watt horseshoe brand look him up

I am a metal fabricator with over 30 years in the biz and I can tell you that 316 ss will not take or hold a decent edge. I am amazed they would even try to use it as 316 is structural grade ss. You have never seen a knife made from any 300 grade of ss, you have to get into the 400 series before you find suitability for a cutting tool. I would pass on these even if they were free.

For the same price you can get Wuta edgers on Aliexpress. Granted, we are talking about Chinese edgers on a Chinese version of ebay but Wuta comes much more regarded and there is a bunch on youtube reviews of their tools you can see in action.

Tool:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/WUTA-Sharp-Leather-Edge-Beveler-Edge-Skiving-Polishing-Tool-Belt-Makers-High-Carbon-Steel-Leathercraft-DIY/3257009_32839949802.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.10.7b4d2f88Jvz8BO

1 hour ago, LetterT said:

For the same price you can get Wuta edgers on Aliexpress. Granted, we are talking about Chinese edgers on a Chinese version of ebay but Wuta comes much more regarded and there is a bunch on youtube reviews of their tools you can see in action.

Tool:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/WUTA-Sharp-Leather-Edge-Beveler-Edge-Skiving-Polishing-Tool-Belt-Makers-High-Carbon-Steel-Leathercraft-DIY/3257009_32839949802.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.10.7b4d2f88Jvz8BO

I get all my Wuta stuff from eBay or Amazon. While I haven't tried their edgers, I have been happy with every purchase and transaction. They are some "stand up" guys.

On 7/14/2018 at 5:33 AM, Sanch said:

Jeremiah Watt horseshoe brand look him up

I ended up ordering a set of the Watt quick change edgers after watching Nigel Armitage give them a rave review on Youtube. So far, I'm pretty happy with them.

On 7/14/2018 at 5:46 AM, akguy59 said:

I am a metal fabricator with over 30 years in the biz and I can tell you that 316 ss will not take or hold a decent edge. I am amazed they would even try to use it as 316 is structural grade ss. You have never seen a knife made from any 300 grade of ss, you have to get into the 400 series before you find suitability for a cutting tool. I would pass on these even if they were free.

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for your input. It really helps to have folks who know their stuff, share their experience in these matters. I'm glad I didn't order those.

21 hours ago, LetterT said:

Tool:

I've been eyeballing some of Wuta's tools. Their pricking irons look fairly decent and the price is nice. Thanks.

I have the 3.85mm pricking irons and they are nice. 

2 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

I have the 3.85mm pricking irons and they are nice. 

I better sell some work so that I can support my tool habit.

3 hours ago, rahuu said:

I better sell some work so that I can support my tool habit.

Some tools in leatherwork are expensive. But, most of the time you can spend that money once, and then, that problem is over. You will find the more refined items are done with higher end tools. Example: there isn't much sanding to do behind a Knipschield knife. 

You can get by with almost any tools. But, you will reach a point where your talents out grow your tools. Frustration will also come into play with cheaper tools. Example: multiple cuts from a razor knife leaves a lot of sanding. 

11 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Some tools in leatherwork are expensive. But, most of the time you can spend that money once, and then, that problem is over. You will find the more refined items are done with higher end tools. Example: there isn't much sanding to do behind a Knipschield knife. 

You can get by with almost any tools. But, you will reach a point where your talents out grow your tools. Frustration will also come into play with cheaper tools. Example: multiple cuts from a razor knife leaves a lot of sanding. 

The adage, "You get what you pay for" is so true with leather tools.