I am in the market for my first round knife and am considering the Tandy Leather Al Stohlman Brand Round Knife 35014-00. I have read reviews on it and other brands and could use some input. Thank you!

I advise you not to spend your money on the Tandy Stohlman round knife.  Do yourself a favor and buy either a good vintage knife from a reputable seller of vintage tools that knows how to sharpen round knives, or buy a new one from a good knifemaker.  You will never learn how to properly use a round knife as long as you use a poor one, and starting out with a poor one has put many people off of round knives for good.  There is not a more versatile, better suited knife for cutting and skiving than the round knife, but to master it, it needs to be sharp and be of good steel.  I've seen some of the Tandy Stohlman  knives, and I was not impressed. Tandy is not the place to buy a round knife.

I’m no pro, but I got myself a Knipschield knife, best thing I ever did for my leatherwork.... expensive yes, but damn it’s a good one!

4 hours ago, ByNelson said:

I’m no pro, but I got myself a Knipschield knife, best thing I ever did for my leatherwork.... expensive yes, but damn it’s a good one!

I'll second that. I didn't know what sharp was until I had a knife from Terry. Oh man, be careful. I have the French model and really couldn't be happier.

I don't have a Knipschield knife but I agree with what Bikermutt said above about not knowing what sharp was until he got one.  There is a whole different level of sharp in better knives.  Weaver's knife would be the same as the Tandy knife.  I know when starting out, it seems like too much money to spend on a good knife, but you can buy good quality once, or you can go the other route (like most of us did) and buy crap several times and end up with more money invested and having to buy quality in the end anyway.  Also, what type of work do you plan to do? There are different shapes for different purposes.  A knife with swept back pointy ends and a bit straighter shape leading up to varying degrees of "pointy-ness at the nose is good for pattern cutting.  a broad, more rounded shape is good for skiving and straight cuts.  Many people end up with more than one knife.  I have several on my bench or within easy reach at any given time.  My favorites are an old C.S. Osborne for pattern cutting, and a W. Rose for skiving and straight cuts. 

I'll echo the others, and say that the Tandy knife is a waste of money.  In fact, Tandy got upset that I said that once on FB, but its true.  That knife is very poor quality and doesn't cut well at all.  Old companies like W. Rose and Osborne made excellent knives and they are available from folks like Bruce Johnson.  He will make sure your knife is sharp and it good condition.  All I use are my Knipshield knives.  I bought my first one in 2013 and have collected quite a few since then.  The difference between them and anything else is astounding.  Worth every penny.  Terry is out on an injury right now, but he'll be back soon.

20170624_115008.JPG

Another note on the Tandy. I have owned 2 that came from lot buys. One I gave away, the other is still sitting all lonely in it's package. 

Also, a little perspective. I'm just a part time hobbyist. I am not making any income from my pieces. I still say a Knipschield is a worthwhile investment. Sometimes things pay for themselves in convienance. It is nice to push that razor sharp item right thru anything I want to cut.

Here is a piece of 7-8 ounce molded over on itself. The knife rolled right thru it.KIMG0060-1170x2080.JPG

Terry Knipschield, Danny Marlin Joshua Fields, all excellent maker.  google Knip knives, Danny Marlin knives, or Fields Made Knives.  You can't go wrong with any of these guys.

Paul

Danny stopped making leather knives, but they are still available for sale privately.

I find the small sharpened part on the end to be very valuable in pull cuts.  Excellent excellent craftsmanship in the Leather Wrangler's knives

I do bespoke furniture and pride myself on my hand skills which require the sharpest of tools. I've spent a lifetime sharpening chisels and plane blades but when I opened up the round knife I was humbled.  It's a function of course on how thin the blade is but still, it's the only tool I own that scares me.  Always uber respective when I handle it.

Leather Wranglers

imageproxy.php?img=&key=81964be983ea98b5imageproxy.php?img=&key=81964be983ea98b5imageproxy.php?img=&key=81964be983ea98b5

_DSF0507.jpg

_DSF0506.jpg

Edited by MakerUnknown
trying to remove an image

24 minutes ago, darkmatter35 said:

If the time comes that you need to sell a professional quality knife, should be able to recoup a good portion of what you paid for it and it will be a quick sale.

John

So much so, that if you find yourself in that position right now, contact me and I'll buy your knife! I have the Tandy Al Stohlman one, and rarely use. I've sharpened and sharpened, etc. etc., and have never been happy with it. When I do "get it kinda sharp", it needs stropping immediately again.

Jeff

@MakerUnknown, I feel the same way about Terry's little clicker knife. When it is out of it's sheath I am super concerned with where it is. Gawd, that little knife scares me.

3 hours ago, MakerUnknown said:

I find the small sharpened part on the end to be very valuable in pull cuts.  Excellent excellent craftsmanship in the Leather Wrangler's knives

I do bespoke furniture and pride myself on my hand skills which require the sharpest of tools. I've spent a lifetime sharpening chisels and plane blades but when I opened up the round knife I was humbled.  It's a function of course on how thin the blade is but still, it's the only tool I own that scares me.  Always uber respective when I handle it.

Leather Wranglers

imageproxy.php?img=&key=81964be983ea98b5imageproxy.php?img=&key=81964be983ea98b5imageproxy.php?img=&key=81964be983ea98b5

_DSF0507.jpg

_DSF0506.jpg

You are absolutely right.  I was remiss for not adding Paul to my list of great makers in my previous post.  He certainly is deserving of a spot in the top tier.!

Paul