DanielleC

Bag straps- what weight do you use?

So I’ve started getting into making bags. The problem I’ve run into, being a novice, is that I can’t afford to go and buy whole sides (yet!). Right now I’m working from pieces I got from an oil tan bundle @Springfield leather company. Anyway, I’m finding that often a smaller piece will have just enough for a bag but not nearly enough to do a long strap. I’m thinking I could purchase a Herman oak belly so I at least have a nice long piece for straps but I’m not sure what weight would be ideal... any suggestions? 

Don't use bellies for straps.  Too stretchy.  I use backs for belts and straps.  Minimum 6 oz unless its for something really lightweight.  I don't like the look of anything too thin though.

It's often possible to buy precut strips from Tandy. They frequently have these strips on sale, and they can be either plain veg tan leather, or latigo. Sometimes they sell them in bulk, with a package of 10 or so strips. This would be a much cheaper way of getting straps than buying a side of leather, where a good portion of the hide wouldn't be the thickness you need, or would be too stretchy. I use these strips to make leashes and belts, and they are quite heavy weight, especially the latigo strips. The veg tan strips not so much - check the thickness before buying to be sure they are okay.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

On 7/10/2018 at 10:17 AM, Dunluce said:

Why not use webbing. It looks good with leather and is very strong and relatively cheap. You see lots of leather bags using this for straps

http://www.britishtactical.com/categories/Materials/Webbing/

Putting webbing on a nice leather bag is like putting water into the gas tank of a fine sports car - just ain't right.  

If you can't purchase a side then I highly recommend that you start looking at using pre-cut belt strips for your bag straps.  For a bag that is relatively small and lightweight and is not intended to carry much weight you can get away with no less than a 6 to 7 oz. strap; majority of your bags should use a 7 to 8 oz. or 8 to 9 oz. strap so as to ensure that there is no stretch or undue stress applied to any portion of it.  I use 8 to 9 oz. (standard belt strap weight) for all of the straps on the bags that I make; haven't had any complaints yet.  I only use the 6 to 7 oz. straps for retro-fit/repair of the high end designer bags (I average at least one high end bag repair per month and it is always to have the garbage straps replaced with quality leather).

On 7/10/2018 at 9:36 AM, DanielleC said:

So I’ve started getting into making bags. The problem I’ve run into, being a novice, is that I can’t afford to go and buy whole sides (yet!). Right now I’m working from pieces I got from an oil tan bundle @Springfield leather company. Anyway, I’m finding that often a smaller piece will have just enough for a bag but not nearly enough to do a long strap. I’m thinking I could purchase a Herman oak belly so I at least have a nice long piece for straps but I’m not sure what weight would be ideal... any suggestions? 

We also have strips and such as people have mentioned. They are great if you can't get a whole side.

http://springfieldleather.com/Leather/Belt-Blanks-Strips-Straps

I choose strap thickness partially by strap width.  As a rule, a 2" wide strap doesn't look very good at 4 oz leather, even if it's "strong enough".  And a 1" strap in 13 oz skirting leather just looks awkward (on a bag).  

That said, most of my bag straps have been in the 6-8 oz range.  And I want them cut from the same leather as the bag itself... so I get the same color and texture as the bag.  At times, this has meant using 4/5 oz leather on the main bag, lined with 3 or 4 oz, then using the same 4/5 oz leather for the strap, but folding it over lengthwise so it's double thick and smooth both edges (no burnished edge).

I like to use 6 oz for light/small bags, 8oz for medium and 9-10 for large or heavy bags. Here is a source for belt blanks that are inexpensive:

https://www.ebay.com/str/landcoleathercraftsupply

Fair disclosure, I know the guy, but get no benefit from mentioning him. He buys #1 leather and cuts the strips himself. He has sold a lot of them.