doorty

UV & Water Protect for Aniline Chrome Tanned Leather

I bought some aniline chrome tanned leather for a motorcycle seat. I know acrylic resolene works well for veg tanned, but what do you recommend for chrome tanned to give it some extra protection from sweat, sunlight, and rain? 

racer-leather-seat-triumph-thruxton-1200-single-2.jpg

3 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

There is something good about allowing it to just age gracefully (says the 70-year-old). 

True. In the case, you recommend just cleaner and conditioner?

I use various types of conditioners, and don't know which one will work best on your leather, but you can probably figure that out.

Cleaners/conditioners like Lexol work pretty good for some leathers, but I always clean my leather with saddle soap before I start a project. Then I will usually condition with a dressing like Montana Pitch-Blend All Natural Leather Dressing or something similar containing bees wax and mink oil. This dressing does, however, have a tendency to darken the leather, so it might not be your first choice. There are many other cleaners and conditioners to choose from, so you might search this site to see what choices others have made.

Edited by LatigoAmigo

An aniline leather is usually has a protective coating that is applied as part of the tanning. You can apply a LP to it but you will basically just be polishing the sealed surface if it was sealed correctly and nothing will be getting absorbed into the leather until the leather ages enough for the sealed surface to start breaking down. My preservative of choice is Obenauf's but asking which one is best and why will get a million different answers and reasons.  I do a lot of motorcycle seats out of veg tanned so I buy my Obenauf;s by the gallon bucket. Keep in mind that putting something like this on new aniline leather will probably make the leather pretty slippery. Not so sure I would do it on that seat.

19 hours ago, Mark842 said:

An aniline leather is usually has a protective coating that is applied as part of the tanning. You can apply a LP to it but you will basically just be polishing the sealed surface if it was sealed correctly and nothing will be getting absorbed into the leather until the leather ages enough for the sealed surface to start breaking down. My preservative of choice is Obenauf's but asking which one is best and why will get a million different answers and reasons.  I do a lot of motorcycle seats out of veg tanned so I buy my Obenauf;s by the gallon bucket. Keep in mind that putting something like this on new aniline leather will probably make the leather pretty slippery. Not so sure I would do it on that seat.

LP? I looked up Obenauf's, but it darkens leather. It's hard to find something will not darken. You're right, it already appears sealed, so I guess it's best to wait. I was just thinking to give it a little extra protection as I know it'll be getting some sweat while riding this summer. Thanks for the response.

53 minutes ago, doorty said:

LP?

Leather preservative = LP. Probably wouldn't darken the aniline because it wouldn't be soaking in at all.