chasman52

Need advice on my new to me cobra4

I picked up a new to me cobra 4 with EPS. I've spent a lot of my free time going over all the info here and on the web. At first, it cycled smooth, but the stitch was inconsistent. I went through the adjustments . The help you get from the leather co. website, here, youtube is awesome. Now  I'm stitching 277 and 207 in 1/4 to 3/8" very nice

I still have some issues . 1. My bobbin holder has a nick/gouge( see photo )

2. My motor (TN422B ) was never modified to go slow. 

How do I tell if this gouge is going to cause me problems? 

I have heard that the Leathercompany has a modification for my motor to improve the speed control.

I want to tell you how much I've enjoyed this Forum . You all helped me so much on my machines

20180704_143414.jpg

You can replace that bobbin assembly -- think its about $80. Pop in / Pop out = done.

That groove is probably wear from the thread, although it almost looks a little rough, like it was ground out.  If your spring still holds good tension and the groove doesn't cause issues, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Otherwise, like JLS said, easily replaced. 

Good call, I checked the spring without thread and there's no tension left in the spring. I'll, replace that first. 

Thank you 

No tension in WHAT spring?  That piece of spring steel is adjusted with a TENSION SCREW, which you can get from Bob for like pennies and replace if the hole isn't stripped out.

DSC00636.gif

The modification for your motor is a small strip of thin translucent material that has graduated density across the width, running from transparent to dark. It needs to be taped onto the rotating shaft inside the motor assembly to interfere between the light beam and light sensor. Contact Cobra Steve to obtain the filter, which includes instructions. Or, ask him about upgrading to a better controlled motor.

The bobbin case is removable and replaceable. But, a whole assembled shuttle is easier to replace.

I'm assuming that it DID COME WITH the spring steel tension adjustment piece?  I don't see it in your pic, though maybe you removed it for the picture.... (?)

JLS: & Wiz

Great pic JLS!!! it worth more than 2000 word.

You assumed correct. I removed the spring before I took the picture.  Those springs seem so brittle. So I called the manufacturer :)

The Leathemachine company sent me a new spring and the translucent sticker. Now,I have a little more upper tension adjustment with 207 thread, I sent them(leathermachineCo) the picture of the bobbin and they said it can be run like that.

I've been using it at 6 SPI. I haven't experimented with a longer stitch yet.  I'm still feeling my way along. I thinks I've viewed every cowboy, , cobra , juki  441 video I could find. I need to check out Techsew 

It does very well with 277 and 207 at 6 spi.

Thanks for the replys you guys rock

Charles

C3leatherworks

Miami FL.

Edited by chasman52
typo