I just finished my latest recreation of the Hedeby quiver (actually the Hedeby quiver is pieces of at least two quivers, perhaps even three) from the age of the Vikings.  Google the title and you can see several different interpretations of how the originals may have looked.  I sewed the main bag inside out like a medieval turnshoe and sewed a gusset between the main pieces.  I didn't use a form because I don't think that the original used one, although I could be wrong.  The top decoration encloses a leather doughnut that keeps the mouth open and ensures that over time the quiver top will not collapse. 

I'm now making another one for a friend and it will be much nicer looking.  For example the gusset will have a rolled edge and the stitching will all be inside but I will not have to turn it.  (Like a medieval turnshoe it is not necessary to sew something inside out to put the stitching inside a confined space.

The beauty of the design is that unlike modern bandoleer style back quivers or side quivers, this functions equally well as a side, back or baldric style quiver.   If you look at the archers on the Bayeux tapestry you will see that most wear side quivers but one seems to have a back quiver made the same as the side quivers.   

hedeby quiver.jpg

Excellent!  Are you in the SCA by any chance?  Or is the reenactment a different type?

I'm in the SCA

Nice work -- but you only show one side! :P
I want to see the other side, too!

That's cool.