I need to make a blacksmith apron, a shoemaker apron and a leathercraftsman apron.

Does anybody know where I can look a pattern and the measures?

Which is the difference between a blacksmith apron, a shoemaker apron and a leathercarftsman apron?

What kind of leather, cowhide only, vegetable tanned, suede?

Thanks for your comments.

I'd just like to move this post up as I'd be interested in this information also.

Blacksmiths and farriers aprons are frequently split down the middle from the bottom of the apron to about the crotch of the wearer and are much longer, almost to the floor. Blacksmiths and farriers have to worry about extremely hot sparks flying off the steel and possibly landing in their boot tops: even with an apron it happens. Additionally the aprons have snaps at the bottom that snap around the leg so that they are kind of like pants with out a back. Again it helps protect the legs of the wearer. You just haven't lived until you get a steel spark or a cinder land and lodge in your cothing: it gets real exciting real fast! Also when you're steamin' on a hot shoe or nailing on a finised one you have to be able to get the horse's leg between yours so you can have your hands free to do the work: its kinda tough to do with a solid apron.

Edited by Seasoned Warrior

Here are two of my preferred aprons. The first is a traditional farrier's apron and the second is the blacksmith apron I prefer to use for general blacksmith work.

Farriers_APRON.jpg

blacksmith_apron_a.jpg

post-171-1191028487_thumb.jpg

post-171-1191028519_thumb.jpg

Edited by Seasoned Warrior

I saw a picture of an apron in a resturant supply catalog for handling beer kegs, looked very heavy duty, suede and had a slit bottom area that wrapped half way around the legs to just below the knees held with intigrated straps and buckles. Maybe a pattern for liderhosen(spelling?) could be modified into an apron the front panels on them look pretty cool.

Here are two of my preferred aprons. The first is a traditional farrier's apron and the second is the blacksmith apron I prefer to use for general blacksmith work.

Which kind of leather is made the blacksmith apron?

Hey Candyleather!

Carlos and I made this new apron for the ferrier who does Carlos' horses. It is made out of "bullhide" which is just a a chrome tanned split. It is approximately a 4-5 oz. leather which has a sort of silver-blue color. We put a second "wear panel" on the inside of each leg where he will hold the horse's foot, since that's where most of the wear will happen. These are basically a "chink" style of chaps which are a little longer and protect a little more of the leg. If they will do more forge work on the anvil, they might want a longer style, but here in south Georgia it gets HOT, so the less material they can get away with, the better they like it. I hope this helps.

Mike

Saddles_134.jpg

post-2291-1191073056_thumb.jpg

Thanks folks!

Mike, Wich kind of leather do you advise to me for made an apron like one in the photo at right in the previous post? I'm referring to the brown apron in the post writed by Seasoned Warrior.

Edited by candyleather

I can't tell from the photo if it is split or top grain. Seasoned Warrior would have to answer that.

Mike

Tandy used to sell a nice heavy chap leather called, oddly enough, "Blacksmith Leather" which was perfect for aprons. It had a thorough conditioning of oils and waxes, a soft but rugged hand, and came in earth tones. It was the kind of leather that just wears better over time. I wonder if they still have Blacksmith Leather? Anybody know? If not, what do they have that is comparable?

Johanna

Tandy still sells whats called Chap, Moc, and Seating Splits. Item #9110-01 is Chocolate Brown.... -07 is Casual Brown.

They say that it is good for aprons, and it is 4-5oz.

Ken

I would like to bring this thread back to life.

Any new patterns people want to share? The one on here with measurements I can't even understand lol

I don't have a pattern but I know that many farrier aprons are made of mule hide. I've worked with mule hide a little bit on chaps and of course in horn wrapping. It's a very compact leasterh and it seems to be very durable.

Most farriers were also blacksmiths and I imagine their aprons are fairly comparablel; although farrier aprons only cover the legs. Not sure about shoemaker and leathercrafter aprons.

My shop apron came from Goodwill. Cannot beat the price. FREE! Ask you store to keep the old leather overcoats not good enough for the "front" of the store. In about two weeks I had five old leather coats.

Cut off the sleeves and linings and such and keep cutting till it fits, then sew back together the way you want, with the former back now the front. Use the excess material for all the pockets you want.

i myself do farrier work, so i made my own set. Since then i have made a few different pairs for a couple guys. Tandy sells a chap pattern pack, i just modifed the chink pattern ( added some length). what i can suggest is that on the front and wrapping in towards the inner thigh sew a heavier weight leather (6/7oz.) on top of the chap leather. Reasoning behind this is because of the horse leg being held there and when rasping, ofthen the rasp rubs agenst the chaps, causing faster wear. Sewing a piece on top of the chaps will allow wear on that leather and then to be repalced if needed. I will try and put some pictues up tomorrow of my pair. The other suggestion is on the knife pocket, put a snap on the bottom of it. while rasping, filings often fall into that pocket, the snap on the bottom makes it easier to clean out, rather than turning them upside down.

Duke

Thanks I will check it out. I may have to give this a little bit more time as I do not having a sewing machine and sewing by hand may take a looooong time to do.

i myself do farrier work, so i made my own set. Since then i have made a few different pairs for a couple guys. Tandy sells a chap pattern pack, i just modifed the chink pattern ( added some length). what i can suggest is that on the front and wrapping in towards the inner thigh sew a heavier weight leather (6/7oz.) on top of the chap leather. Reasoning behind this is because of the horse leg being held there and when rasping, ofthen the rasp rubs agenst the chaps, causing faster wear. Sewing a piece on top of the chaps will allow wear on that leather and then to be repalced if needed. I will try and put some pictues up tomorrow of my pair. The other suggestion is on the knife pocket, put a snap on the bottom of it. while rasping, filings often fall into that pocket, the snap on the bottom makes it easier to clean out, rather than turning them upside down.

Duke

Any new patterns people want to share? The one on here with measurements I can't even understand lol

There is free measurement converter software on the web which will help you convert cm to inches or any other measurement you want, just google and you have your pick. Hope this helps.

Panther

I also like this thread.

My last, current, shop apron I made from a Leather topcoat from Good Will... $5.

Cut it up and resewed. It's ok, and i'll use that as a leather source again. But these patterns add to what I want here in my shop.!

who else has an idea, like pockets and holders, they have and like or dislike?

I'll second this request for other pictures and ideas!

whatdoyouthink.gif