One last picture. If anyone knows the approximate value please contact me. Thank you to everyone interested in this saddle. Sharon Smith

7E5F508D-FE51-40EF-AC13-BE6E3C2D5CA0.png

Good Day:

I attempted to reply earlier, but I see it never submitted. So sorry!

Sending another more detailed reply.

BNP

Hello SmithS:

The early 500's serial number is very early. Probably mid to late 1920's. The build cards I have begin about 5-years after your saddle was built. I will look through Porter Catalog No. 15, to see what I might come up with.

Best regards,

BNP

Great topic!

Bnewtonp,  

I have a beautiful old Porter saddle in excellent original condition.  The number is 1661.  I was wondering if you could date the saddle for me, either approximately or specifically if you have that production card.  Thank you in advance for any information you can shed on this fine work of leather art.

John Peterson

Bristol, TN 

i just picked up a N. Porter saddle here in Prescott AZ to clean.  Above the skirt on the left side is serial # 01192.   any idea of the age of this one?  Thank you all. 

DSC_0027.thumb.JPG.1f64738eea731318636366bc13273444.JPGHere you go anDSC_0019.thumb.JPG.eb2a3a757b389c1c015b991dd0488f7e.JPGd thnx.

another closer shotDSC_0026.thumb.JPG.4a965b92723d36b953719e6d76a1a22b.JPG

Hi there, and thanks for sending these photos.

I have a few concerns. First, the serial number is located in the wrong place.

Porter saddles made AFTER July 19, 1933, have the serial numbers stamped on the left skirt underneath the rear housing.

Porter saddles made between 1916 to July 19, 1933, have the serial numbers stamped on the near fender underneath the stirrup leather. In my opinion, this saddle was not built between 1916 and 1933. It appears to be newer than that. Thus, the serial number should be located on the left skirt underneath the rear housing.

Is there a makers-mark/brand anywhere on the saddle? The latigo keeper/holder has "Tommy" stamped on it. I can't account for this. From my perspective, I'm not seeing what I need to see in terms of determining if this is a genuine Porter saddle.

Please help.

Many thanks,

BNP 

I know the owner had the latigo keeper made for him.  I do know the owner is a true collector of western artifacts.  More than that i cannot say.  thanks again.

here is the makers mard on the bottom of the fender.  DSC_0023.thumb.JPG.61441119f28704343d2ac682e3db3ba9.JPG

BTW, as a member since 2011 why does this say i am new?????????????????????????  Not that it matters, just wondering.

in researching this i just came upon the makers mark i showed and it was not same shop, but maybe a relative.  Sorry for finding this out after my inquiry.  Thanks for the help though.

Ok, now I can verify the origins of this saddle.

It was built by my Uncle Bill Porter (William N. Porter). So, not a saddle made by the N. Porter Saddle Co., but one made by one of N. Porter's Grandsons. That said, I have no build cards for any of Bill's saddles. The 30,000 build cards I do have are for the original N. Porter saddles.

Glad we got to the bottom of that! BTW, I can't answer why the "new" designation...

Best regards,

BNP

BNP, thanks much for all the info.  I appreciate knowing the real story and the connection.  

BNEWTONP,

I would love to know if this is a trademark from your company. I have not been able to find anything about "Port Parker" and it would be great to know the history. Thank you.

1915227830_NPORTERPORTPARKERSADDLEtrademark.thumb.jpg.a73ad6466e244281b39be5ddbeca443a.jpg

Wow, a Port Parker!

Have not seen one of these in a very, very long time!

Get me the serial number, and I'll be happy to pull the build-card.

Best,

BNP

I would love to have some info on a saddle that was passed down to me. The serial number is 23126 and the saddle belonged to my boyfriend's great unlcle so they are guessing it is at least 60 years old. 

On 6/11/2019 at 3:36 PM, BNEWTONP said:

My great grandfather was N. Porter. My grandfather kept individual records for more than 36,000 Porter saddles ever made. I have those saddle records. Perhaps you might locate the serial number. The serial number is found on the (near-side) stamped on the rear skirt, under the rear jockey.

7597.jpg

16512.jpg

Hello, I have a William N Porter saddle that is quite unique, endurance type build, extreme drop rigging. I am looking for more insight on it. By chance could you help, or contact me? My email is dronena@yahoo.com I would greatly appreciate it! - Amanda Dronen

Hey!     Thanks for sharing all your info and knowledge.    Just got a saddle to clean up and was having trouble reading the markers mark but after reading this thread....I believe it to be a Port Parker, N. Porter.    I will attempt to post pics.

On 3/19/2020 at 10:08 AM, BNEWTONP said:

Wow, a Port Parker!

Have not seen one of these in a very, very long time!

Get me the serial number, and I'll be happy to pull the build-card.

Best,

BNP

Hello! I am also jumping onboard this thread to see if you have the build card info for my grandmother's N. Porter saddle.

Serial # 17651.

Thank you!

IMG_9834

IMG_9835

IMG_9839

IMG_9837

On 6/11/2019 at 1:36 PM, BNEWTONP said:

My great grandfather was N. Porter. My grandfather kept individual records for more than 36,000 Porter saddles ever made. I have those saddle records. Perhaps you might locate the serial number. The serial number is found on the (near-side) stamped on the rear skirt, under the rear jockey.

7597.jpg

16512.jpg