Will85

Fiebing's Pro Dye Black Specs/Dots on surface

Hello. I’m having some difficulty using Pro Dye. I’ve only tried Light Brown, Dark Brown, and Saddle Tan. But with each color I get black spec's/dots on the surface of the leather. You can see it in the first picture, looks like shadowing, but at eye level you can see it's very tiny black specs.
s18753.jpg

This makes the leather look much darker than the intended color. However sometimes the dots are more densely grouped and they look like black streaks or blotches. When I flex the leather spreading the fibers out, you can see the desired color. You might be able to see that in this next picture.
29wlitg.jpg

So that confirmed to me that this was just a buildup on the surface, so by the recommendation of this forum I used “lemon Juice” and it worked to clean the dark spots off the leather, but it took a lot of elbow grease and I don’t like how much it stressed the surface of the leather. As an experiment I mixed two parts lemon juice to one part Pro Dye and all these little black specs separated from the Fiebing's Saddle Tan Pro Dye, swirling the mixture caused the black specs to collect on the edge of the bowl. Seen in this next picture.
2hfoxoo.jpg

I then used the mixture now mostly free of the black specs to dye a small piece of leather and it looked perfect. I don’t understand why there are these black particles in the dye. Seen in the next picture, and honestly it looks better than the picture.

2hg4ad4.jpg

Edited by Will85

I wonder if the factory didn't flush their lines or something     

fiebing's oil dye chocolate is grey

By Nert, Sunday at 09:32 AM    

•  

Yeah... Seems strange to me that people love this dye and don't have this issue. I have some Fiebing's "Leather Dye" not " Pro-Dye" coming so I'm going to give that a try and see if my results are better. I guess I could always mix the Pro-Dye with lemon juice and run it through a coffee filter... but that seems silly to me ;) 

It just seems strange that you two have similar problems with browns.I think you should write the company and send the pictures

•  
  •  
  •