katit

Yet another which machine to buy topic

2 minutes ago, Uwe said:

I'd peg it between $800 and $1,200 but much depends on the details - and your definition of "good."  Just like with cars, some are worth every penny, others turn out to be regrettable money pits. 

Machine is from owner, not from shop. No patina/rust which is good sign for me. Other than that - it's lottery anyway. But at least this one is not some basement stored for ages machine

50 minutes ago, Uwe said:

I'd peg it between $800 and $1,200 but much depends on the details - and your definition of "good."  Just like with cars, some are worth every penny, others turn out to be regrettable money pits. 

OOH-vuh

Doing more reading and found your post about new  Consew 206RB-5 vs Seiko counterpart. If I want quality made in Japan - I can just get this Seiko for $1300 or so, then top range you posted ($1200) for used 206RB-2 kind of pointless, no?

If you can get a new Seiko STH-8BLD-3 in a table with servo motor for $1,300 then go for it! They're great machines and certainly capable of doing what you want to do, the rest is up to the operator.

The $800 end of the range may still be a good price for a local 206RB-2 setup. Anything is worth precisely what somebody is willing and able to pay at the moment it's for sale. Attempting to answer "what's it worth" questions in a vacuum is almost always pointless and I regret falling for it. I'll be more vigilant in the future.

I think it’s very helpful what you do. Knowing price points like this can make one feel great when better deal found :)

I cannot be positive but, as in his normal ads he has stickers with his name on any machines he sells. Like in his home base of Tennessee so I dont think the shop in Hurculaneum is his, imo. He did though put in a new shop in west St Charles. 

With all that out the way I have seen some great machines in the CS ads in Saint louis, its just the waiting. But your price could be better estimated at 1200. for a great litely used machine, possibly with a newer servo. They seem to run at two bills. 

They all will sew pretty much, I say that just to relate to particular materials being made and so they can or could be tweaked for that. That should be kept in mind I think. 

Good day

Floyd

3 hours ago, brmax said:

With all that out the way I have seen some great machines in the CS ads in Saint louis, its just the waiting. But your price could be better estimated at 1200. for a great litely used machine, possibly with a newer servo. They seem to run at two bills. 

Floyd

Floyd, thanks.

what “two bills” means? Never heard this phrase before

$200

Uwe, of course, is quite right, when selling something you can put any price you like on it BUT in the end it's only worth what someone's prepared to pay. I have the earlier model Seiko and it's a great machine, in fact it's the main machine I now use. If the one you mentioned has a servo then the price probably isn't too bad (as long as it's not worn out). If it's got a clutch motor maybe not quite such a good price, unless you're desperate for it. Are there any photos of it?

Seiko I mentioned available online brand new 

I like that Singer back there, always wanted one and none were in the papers. Then when I do find other machines here they all show up. I believe that 156 has been sitting for awhile so a watch to see if it works would be the big sale observation. 

They have been or are possibly a member I havent a clue but a better price would have interested me several years ago. 

That machine may take a bit of polish and tune. I suspect this anyway, just as many new ones do. 

Good day and have patience 

Floyd

8 hours ago, brmax said:

I like that Singer back there, always wanted one and none were in the papers. Then when I do find other machines here they all show up. I believe that 156 has been sitting for awhile so a watch to see if it works would be the big sale observation. 

They have been or are possibly a member I havent a clue but a better price would have interested me several years ago. 

That machine may take a bit of polish and tune. I suspect this anyway, just as many new ones do. 

Good day and have patience 

Floyd

I made an offer, seller said he will wait and try to get full price for it but will get back to me if nothing happen. I figured for work that need to be done + Servo motor $400 is probably right price. Yes, it seems like this machine was sitting for a while with all that patina(rust?)

6 hours ago, dikman said:

Does the Seiko come with a servo?

You can quickly google them. $1300 might be my bad, it's more when all completed. But there is new head for $1150 for example. Bottom line - they can be had cheaper than 206-RB5 and if they truly the same and made in Japan - probably better deal..

58 minutes ago, katit said:

Hm. What about this machine? Couple hundred miles..

https://peoria.craigslist.org/for/d/juki-sewing-machine/6643821166.html

That's a hell of a deal, depending on two things. 1: The cost of the gas for the round trip. 2: If you don't mind tooth marks on the top and bottom of the leather.

#1 is what it is.

#2 could be a problem because this type of machine has synchronized top and bottom feed - where the outside foot moves with the feed dog while the needle and inside foot only move up and down. The presser and inside foot both have sharp teeth to grip difficult or slippery materials and positively drag them through. This configuration is favored among marine sewing enthusiasts where long sailcloth and boat covers often need to be repaired.

If the tooth marks on top will be a problem, ignore that dual feed Juki and restrict your search to a triple/compound feed walking foot machine.

Thanks! Markings on leather is a nono for me. I see few of those machines around with much higher prices but seems like it’s now what I need

Most all machines your looking for will come standard with a toothed feed dog on bottom with some finer than others but this is the norm.

I will say only the dealers around here chatting sometimes have on hand all smooth replacements if that is a need. 

Good day

Floyd

Bottom is not a problem for what I need. Need to make sure top is not marked

Still looking and learning as much as I can. Right now decision is to wait for great deal on used and if nothing by end of August - go with new. Probably P1206RB or Seiko.

While watching and reading I noticed some machines have bobbin under machine in front and some machines have it on top. Question: which is better/easier?

out of machines I watch used: 206, 211/111, 562/563, 545/1245 which one is which?

On 7/15/2018 at 5:06 PM, Wizcrafts said:

That's a hell of a deal, depending on two things. 1: The cost of the gas for the round trip. 2: If you don't mind tooth marks on the top and bottom of the leather.

#1 is what it is.

#2 could be a problem because this type of machine has synchronized top and bottom feed - where the outside foot moves with the feed dog while the needle and inside foot only move up and down. The presser and inside foot both have sharp teeth to grip difficult or slippery materials and positively drag them through. This configuration is favored among marine sewing enthusiasts where long sailcloth and boat covers often need to be repaired.

If the tooth marks on top will be a problem, ignore that dual feed Juki and restrict your search to a triple/compound feed walking foot machine.

Hi Wiz

Can you reduce the marking by adjusting the pressure foot to a optimal pressure to limit the damage or get less sharp feed

Is this a problem with just the thick leather only or both thick and thin

11 hours ago, dikman said:

Top mounted bobbin is definitely easier to access!

I also found some info that it's better design. True/false? What machines from our list have top mounted bobbins?

8 hours ago, chrisash said:

Hi Wiz

Can you reduce the marking by adjusting the pressure foot to a optimal pressure to limit the damage or get less sharp feed

Is this a problem with just the thick leather only or both thick and thin

Of course the foot pressure matters! You can back it off until the leather lifts with the ascending needle. That's when you get skipped stitches.

It is a problem with all aniline, retan and veg-tan leathers. It is not usually a problem on chrome tan. The basic rule is: if the leather has a memory and holds impressions, don't use a top tooth feeder. Or, if you do, learn to either rub out, or explain away the tooth marks.

All in the list except the Consew 206RB design have vertical axis hooks. If there's a rectangular slide cover plate to the right of the feet, then it has a vertical axis hook.

4 hours ago, Uwe said:

All in the list except the Consew 206RB design have vertical axis hooks. If there's a rectangular slide cover plate to the right of the feet, then it has a vertical axis hook.

Uwe, please check your messages